Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014

Capn is on a distinguished road
Need someone to join me on a BVI charter in Feb or March

Iím looking for one or two people to share a bareboat charter in the BVI or any of the nearby areas in February or March. Iíve got the sailing experience, and have single-handed my own boats for years, but the charter companies require at least two people on a boat, so Iím out of luck unless I find a Ďpartnerí.
While sailing expertise would be nice, I really donít need anyone with much sailing background; in fact, it would be a great way for a new sailor to gain experience.

ē Charter length = a week or 10 days
ē Boat = monohull only, probably 36-42 feet, depending on whether we need 2 or 3 cabins
ē Charter company = TBD (Iíve used Sunsail and others)
ē Few restrictions = NO smoking; alcohol comes out after we moor or anchor
ē Cost = Iíd sign up as the captain. Weíd split the charter fee. If 2 people join, we each pay one-third and work out how to share the other costs

Thatís it! Iím totally open to suggestions. If anyone knows any nice people who might like to do this, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Re: Need someone to join me on a BVI charter in Feb or March

Seems like it might not be entirely fair to split a charter three ways with a couple, if they're sharing a cabin.
Old 01-07-2014

Torch is on a distinguished road

He said he was totally open to suggestions so if you want to suggest another arrangement other than just express your feeling that his arrangement is not fair, you should make a suggestion. A PM is probably the best way to do so.
Old 01-07-2014

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road

A per person fee seems completely fair to me. If anything he should pay less than the others as he's providing his services as the captain. Plus it's his trip to arrange how he wants.
Old 01-07-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Hey Capn, how about a little personal info on yourself. I may be interested.
Old 01-08-2014

Exclamation Re: Need someone to join me on a BVI charter in Feb or March

I appreciate the previous comments. The charter cost split should just make sense. If anyone is really interested, we'll work together to agree on whatever we're all happy with. If we can't do that, we shouldn't be sailing together!!

My personal information:
Born and raised in Michigan; live in Washington, DC; married, and a grandfather; semi-retired; sailing for over 40 years; have owned and sailed many kinds of boats; recently owned a 2007 Tartan 3400 which I sailed for 4 years, mostly single-handed, on Chesapeake Bay; owned a Cape Dory last year; now boat-less (except for a Pro-line dual console I've owned since 1996 -- that doesn't count); chartered out of Tortola more times than I can remember -- 2 or 3 times from Sunsail, also from Island Packet in St Thomas; not mechanically inclined - just love to sail!

I hope that's helpful.
Old 01-29-2014

sd2hi is on a distinguished road

I've been talking with a couple of friends about a similar charter. We've lots of sailing/mechanical experience. Also prefer cat. Let us know what kind of prices you come up with.

aloha Andrew, sd2hi at yahoo
Old 01-29-2014

Andrew,

If you are an experienced charterer, please excuse my comments below, which might be helpful to a newbie. Prices are based on boat size, type, location, length of charter, extra options, and timing, so we'd have to generally agree on specifics first.

BTW, I'm a monohull sailor - I don't want to sail on a cat. If that's a deal breaker, then thanks for your interest.

Other than that, yacht size would depend on the number of crew and relationships to determine how many cabins we'd need -- 2, 3, or 4. For example, A seven day charter of a Beneteau 393 with 3 cabins and 2 heads in the BVI might cost about $3,000-$3,500, depending on the charter company and the dates selected. A larger boat would cost more, and location would affect the cost. While Sunsail is a Class A company, it does have discounts for 'reef days' and returning captains. Charter companies have newer and older boats, which also affects price.

If you've chartered before, you know about all the other costs, insurance, clearance fees, provisions, moorings, etc.

I'm open to discuss the sailing location - BVI is lovely, but there's the USVI, and SVI, and the leeward islands.

It might make sense to use a charter broker to put this together. I've used them in the past -- it simplifies many things, avoids some shoals, and does not add any cost for the service. All we'd do is give the broker our parameters and let him come back with all the available options that might meet our needs. He can handle the financial arrangements, too, and provide itinerary guidance, if we go to an new area.

I've written some stuff about my background earlier in this thread. If we have more to talk about, first tell me a bit more about yourself and the others, then let's connect directly via email, then phone.

Thanks for your interest,
David
Old 01-30-2014
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road

I've been chartering in the BVI for over 12years. I do a 44 and 50 foot cats ..we have always had four couples total and ALL fees are split per person....
Works easy peezy
Bill
PS... New rib place on Virgin Gorda.. Hog Heaven... Not to be missed for the food .... Good people that run it ...and the most awesome views in the islands... It's in North Sound high on the hill above Liverick Bay Resort
Old 01-30-2014
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road

Another interesting fact... Our charters are about 10 days ... Over the years the price per person has hardly changed. We drive to Boston, stay overnight, fly to St Thomas and ferry to Soper's Hole west end Tortola. Pick up boat ... Food ,booze etc .....sail for 10 days and return home same as going down
The cost has ALWAYS been approx. 2000 per person ALL INCLUSIVE while on the boat... Only extras is off the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.