SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Med or Caribbean - which is cheaper (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/124722-med-caribbean-cheaper.html)

kitrob 02-24-2014 11:12 PM

Med or Caribbean - which is cheaper

My wife and I and another couple are keen to charter a bareboat yacht in the Med looking at Palermo, Sicily. however I began to get a sense that the Med as a charter destination was more expensive than the Caribbean. Can any of you out there who have chartered in both please advise your thoughts on which of the two is the less expensive.

zedboy 02-25-2014 02:49 AM

Re: Med or Caribbean - which is cheaper

Med is insanely expensive. End of story.

PCP 02-25-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedboy (Post 1456522)
Med is insanely expensive. End of story.

Not everywhere. Cyclades, Dodecanese and Turkey are not expensive at least compared with the rest of the Med. Sometimes about half the price.

Regards

Paulo

TQA 02-26-2014 07:59 AM

Italy and parts of France are insanely expensive.

Also be aware that if you like to sail the med has a justifiable reputation of either having too little wind or too much.

The trades are reliable in the Carib.

PCP 02-26-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1460314)

Also be aware that if you like to sail the med has a justifiable reputation of either having too little wind or too much.

If you go to the Cyclades or Dodecanese in the summer you will have almost everyday between 4 and 7 Beaufort. It would be great for some, too much for others. The wind blows almost allways in the same direction.

On Ionian Greece is not expensive also, specially on the Peloponese. There the winds are weaker 3 to 5 Beaufort and will come most of the time only after midday but they are pretty regular on direction too.

Some like to have winds to sail all day. Some prefer to have a windless night and morning and sail only on the afternoon. You have for all the tastes depending on the regions.

I agree that Italy, France and Balearic Spain are very expensive. Croatia is less (you have to pay about 20/25 euros for a buoy on most places) but more expensive than Greece or Turkey.

Regards

Paulo

chrondi 03-14-2014 01:48 PM

The Med may appear expensive for someone travelling from USA. For someone based in Europe the Caribbean costs twice as much considering the air fair alone. As far as the charter fee is concerned and comparing sailing in high season (July - August in the Med and February - April in the Caribbean) Greece and Turkey are up to 30% cheaper!

goboatingnow 03-14-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

I don't know I chartered in the BVI one year I had calms for a week

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goboatingnow 03-14-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

France can be a very low cost country if you stop eating and drinking like a tourist. I had a 8 m boat there two years ago in nice. I was paying 8-12 euros for a night in the cote D'Azure marinas . Of course it climbed up when you went over 8m

Spain is quite reasonable as as many parts of Italy.

I found by comparison Croatia to be crazy expensive as everyone is out to charge tourists for everything.

I mean when you can sit in a little bistro in Cannes and have lunch and a glass of wine for 12 euros, that's cheap. I mean Micky D is dearer

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk