Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006

nycandmdi is on a distinguished road
Anchors Away Santorini

I have just reserved a charter with Anchors Away out of Santorini Greece.
Does anyone have any information on this charter company?
I am suppose to wire money into a Greece bank account. Is this standard procedure? I feel like I have no safeguards this way.
Also, we are not sailors. We have hired a skipper. Should this be an easy sail in Sept. We are also traveling with our small dog. Do dogs do well on boats?
We have charted a Bavaria 41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006

amangos is on a distinguished road
Never heard about them!!!
You must wire some money (usually the half of the total price), this is a standard procedure.
Dogs are suffering when the sea is rough; they are also in danger to be heat stroke from the sun.

Many accidents involving dogs have happened on sailing yachts; some times the dogs fall into the sea while sailing, others have been hanged and choked from their lease. The dogs' nails sometimes create problems on the yachts and many fights are known to happen for the cover of the damages.

Last edited by amangos; 03-30-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2006

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Anchors away

This sounds rather like the U,S. Navy song:

Stand, Navy, out to sea,
Fight our battle cry;
We'll never change our course,
So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll out the TNT,
Anchors Aweigh.
Sail on to victory
And sink their bones
to Davy Jones, hooray!

Anchors Aweigh, my boys,
Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to college joys,
We sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.
Through our last night on shore,
Drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more.
Here's wishing you
A happy voyage home.

"Chartering from Santorini in October" means to me that you should be paid for bringing a yacht back to its base (in most cases somewhere near Athens) at the end of the sailing season. I admire how easily some companies can find dupes, but maybe this is explained indeed by the fact that in modern Greek there is a special word for such naÔve persons and it starts with "ma...."
Old 04-16-2006

sailez is on a distinguished road
Santorini

Hi
I had sailed the Aegean for seven years before going to the Ionian. I am saying this so you can understand that I am somewhat familiar with the area.
Santorini has NO good ports and most moorings are untennable if the sea gets rough. I had no idea that there are charter companies out of Santorini. Being a somewhat remote island-look at the map- it makes for a long trip back, if you must return the boat there. May I suggest that you charter out of Athens? Glyfada actually, by the sea. Cavos-Moorings is a good, reliable company and so is Vernikos Yachts. Now payng ahead of time is the usual and customary thing to do, but make sure you know who you are dealing with.
September is a good month assuming the Meltemi - a vicious northeasterly- has died down. Please feel free to write to me at sokinrev13@yahoo.com should you need further info. I am heading there in May and shoild be around some of September as well. Elias
PS Many of my friends have their dogs in their sailboats. If the dog has been broken-in and is familiar with sea travelling, you should have no problems, naysayers not withstanding.
Old 03-03-2012

SailorCes is on a distinguished road
Santorini Charter

Hi NyCand...

I know its almost 6 years later, but I am also looking at chartering the Bavaria 41 out of Santorini and am curious if you went through with your charter, and if it worked well.. Is Santorini a good place to start a seven day charter? is anchors away real reputable? any comments would be helpful.

Cheers,
Old 03-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorCes View Post
Hi NyCand...

I know its almost 6 years later, but I am also looking at chartering the Bavaria 41 out of Santorini and am curious if you went through with your charter, and if it worked well.. Is Santorini a good place to start a seven day charter? is anchors away real reputable? any comments would be helpful.

Cheers,
Considering that was the OP's one and only post, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an employee of the charter company posting to get the name out. That happens often on forums. I did wonder how he or she, being from New York (if that's true), could charter a boat with a dog in a foreign country since most if not all countries require a (sometime long) period of quarantine before allowing animals to enter. Hardly worth it for a charter.

If it were me, if I contacted this charter company for information I'd ask if they allow pets (and ever did) and what the procedure is for bringing a pet into Greece just to satisfy my curiosity of the legitimacy of the original post. If I got the sense that the post was done by the charter company, I'd pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.