Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Charter fleet ownership

Maybe while we have some experts looking at this thread, it might be good to turn the question around and ask,
What factors make someone a good candidate for charter ownership/who will get the most out of it, and what factors would make it make less sense?
blowinstink likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

I imagine all contracts require that if you use your charter boat, you have to pay the same rate as everyone else. Only at the end of the year, you are able to get some money back,
assuming there is a profit.
Old 05-17-2014
Catamarans are the best

Location: North Dakota -the land of ice and snow and 650,000 other people
Subaqua is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
I imagine all contracts require that if you use your charter boat, you have to pay the same rate as everyone else. Only at the end of the year, you are able to get some money back,
assuming there is a profit.
Not quite the way it works.. at least not in our case.. and probably not in many cases. If you are on a guaranteed pay program, you may pay a very nominal fee if you use your boat, a turn around fee for linens, etc. , and still get paid by the charter company no matter what.. whether your boat is rented out or sits at dock. You may not even get charged for fuel, water, ice... whatever when you use your boat.. or anyone elses boat that is in the same program.

Other contracts you may not have to pay at all to use your boat, but if you are using it when it could be chartered out to a paying customer.. you're losing that potential income.

Depending on the contract, you may get paid every month no matter what, or the payment could be an annual deal. Just depends on the contract.
Some programs require that you share in the expenses of your boat, other programs you have absolutely no expenses at all.
Old 05-20-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Maybe while we have some experts looking at this thread, it might be good to turn the question around and ask,
What factors make someone a good candidate for charter ownership/who will get the most out of it, and what factors would make it make less sense?
I sure don't fit the title of "expert" but I have been employed by a charter company for more than five years. Christine is an expert and maybe she will come back.

Good candidates--
Money, lots of it
Understanding that they will most likely loose money
Savvy enough to understand that if they finance a boat for a zillion years that in 5 years when it comes out of charter, they will be upside down!
Funds and time to make enough trips to take advantage of ownership usage as opposed to charters
Business or other situation in which some, maybe all, expenses can be written off taxes
Wants to travel the world and sail in numerous locations (only with bigger charter companies)
Likes to sail and not "fix" and not concerned with paying for it

Poor candidates---
Just about the opposite of all things listed above
Not worried that others are beating up "your" boat. It's not really yours until the contract is up...
Lots of obligations making travel difficult
Poor health
Limited experiences, there isn't a West Marine and 50 tradesmen down the road that can fix you up. It's de ilons and tings go sloooooow mon....

All things are my impressions/opinions. I've only got direct knowledge of two charter fleets. Within each there are exceptions. My comments are generalities. I don't sell charters or boats and thus have no dog in the fight.
Old 05-22-2014

yachtownershipgirl is on a distinguished road

Hello All inquiring about yacht ownership. The program is designed for those who make sailing part of their lifestyle, want to travel to exotic worldwide locations to sail, and possibly own a yacht at the end of the tenure. There is no large return on your investment, after all, it is a yacht. The yachts are brand new ranging from monohulls 41-54' to our ever-popular Catamarans from 39-58'. The initial investment is 25% down and for U.S. citizens, we offer excellent financing. Every month you get a guaranteed income check based on a 9% return. The yacht stays in the charter fleet for 5 years. We handle all of the operating expenses - maintenance, dockage, insurance, etc. The ownership use is very flexible - similar to a time share - you get points which equals sailing days. You get up to 12 weeks of low season/5 weeks high season use per year. No blackout dates. And there you have it in a nutshell! Let me know what further questions!
Old 05-22-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

So for a hypothetical $200,000 boat (I know that's low) let me see -
$50,000 down
12 year loan @ 5.5 % = 1450 month
ROI of 1500 month
plus registration and insurance.
After 5 years I'd probably be upside down another 20,000. So it cost me $70,000 over 5 years. If I take 18 charters over 5 years worth $4,000 a charter I break even. For a more expensive boat I need to take more charters to cover the additional expense.
Old 05-22-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Every month you get a guaranteed income check based on a 9% return."

So the eager buyer might hear that they are getting a 9% return, when in fact they are getting...what? What does "based on" mean?

Sounds like the "Buy One Get The Second at 50% off" offers, which really mean "Not more than 25% off when you buy two". One sounds way better than the other.
Old 05-22-2014

yachtownershipgirl is on a distinguished road

Hellosailor: The 9% return is 'based' on the price of the yacht. It is a GUARANTEED 9% return every month. We have been selling the yacht ownership program for 45 years now and it works well for most.

Bottom line is you need to go sailing! If you average cost for chartering approximately 3-4 weeks per year over the next 5 years, combination of seasons, you will see those charter fees would be equal/greater than the 25% down you put on the yacht so that is how you determine if the program is for you.

jsaronson: you're pretty close... I'll be happy to email a proforma/spec sheet depending on the yacht you're interested in but here's one for a Sunsail 41 (Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409), fully equipped for charter.
Yacht price: $250,000
25% down: $62,500
Financing based on 4.35% fixed rate over 15 years
Guaranteed 9% income per month: $1,875 (your mortgage payment based on 4.35%-15 yrs is $1,420 so a small positive cash flow per month)
If you apply ALL of the funds we send you over the 5 years, loan balance would be $113,433. Estimated net resale after 5 years around 50-55% residual so around $125,00-$135,000.
Old 05-30-2014
Banned

SailBeat is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I'm starting a yacht charter comparison website locations, yachts, things to know and do. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in writing an article about charter ownership progrmas for my visitors. In return I can link to your blogs etc.

It would be great to have some insider knowledge for my customers

Cheers Luke

EDIT: Removed Link that is in violation of forum rules. Jeff_H Sailnet Moderator.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2014
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Chartering is a great deal for the charter companies and a bad deal for the boat owners. Would you like an article on how the charter companies screw over their customers? I didn't think so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.