Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
Charter fleet ownership

I'm looking for advice regarding owning a boat in a charter fleet. I know that there are negatives, but it's very appealing to me to be able to visit a boat in the
BVIs or elsewhere for 5-7 days several times a year.

I would want a catamaran 38-44 feet. I currently own a monohull in NC. Any suggestions or direct experience would be welcome.

rjc
Old 04-29-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Charter fleet ownership

bump, interested in the response as well, just curious to why someone would buy into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I have owned a boat in charter, but in the north..not the BVI's.

To me this decision would be one of simple math. You say 5-7 days several times a year. How many is several? If the cost of chartereing the boat for those days is equal to the purchase option (revenue minus all costs...not just initial) then you charter and don't worry about the boat when you are not on it.

Certainly there are as many benefits to charter ownership as there are problems with it. Talk to your tax advison and see all of the benefits and issues.

Good Luck.
Old 04-30-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

The best account of the dynamics of owning a boat in charter that I've seen online are here: The Usual Suspects - Caribbean Sailing Adventures

The guy owned a boat in Barefoot (second or third tier charter) for 7 years. He lost money on the deal overall, but didn't seem too dejected by the financial aspects of it. Basically, my takeaway is that it will *NOT* make financial sense...but when does boat ownership EVER make sense by the #'s
eherlihy likes this.
Old 04-30-2014
Catamarans are the best

Location: North Dakota -the land of ice and snow and 650,000 other people
Subaqua is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcaudle View Post
..... but it's very appealing to me to be able to visit a boat in the BVIs or elsewhere for 5-7 days several times a year.
rjc
we own in a charter co. and this is exactly the reason my wife wants us to stay in the program. Using a boat in different ports around the world without having to actually sail there has it's pluses! 'Course, you could do this even without being an owner, just by chartering. It has worked well for us, but wouldn't for everyone.
Old 05-01-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcaudle View Post
I'm looking for advice regarding owning a boat in a charter fleet. I know that there are negatives, but it's very appealing to me to be able to visit a boat in the
BVIs or elsewhere for 5-7 days several times a year.

I would want a catamaran 38-44 feet. I currently own a monohull in NC. Any suggestions or direct experience would be welcome.

rjc
I work for a charter company. Full disclosure completed.
What are your goals? Are you trying to decrease the cost of ownership? Are you trying to actually make money (nearly impossible)? Are you trying to sail more and decrease the cost to do so? What are your plans in five years, or so, when a boat would come out of charter? Have you looked at the cost of a 40' foot cat new and seen what the same one sells for after being in charter for 5 years?

I know quite a few people that have boats in a variety of charter fleets. Some have been doing it for 15 years. I know people that have more than one boat in a fleet. I know owners that haven't ever used their boat but send clients/business associates down and write it off. I know others that use their boat more than 6 weeks a year. I know non-boat owners that charter 6-8 weeks every year and have no desire to own a boat. The system works great for some and is a disaster for others. I think the difference is knowing what you are trying to achieve and keeping your eyes wide open as you get further into the options.
Old 05-05-2014

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road

My goals are not to make money, or end up with a boat of my own in 5 years. My desire would be to travel to the boat or other locations 4-5 times a year and decrease the costs of chartering.

I think if I had my own boat in a fleet I would make those trips more often. I have not checked into the loss of value in 5 years after chartering. That's what I actually was curious about.

rjc
Old 05-05-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

If you are going to sail 5-7 weeks a year then it might start, and I do mean "start", to make sense for you. If you wish to charter in many far away places then there may be even more advantages.
Old 05-06-2014

yachtownershipgirl is on a distinguished road

Hi all, this is Christine Joseph, yacht ownership rep based here in Tortola, BVI for the Moorings and Sunsail. If you send me your contact information, I'll be happy to send further info on the program along with spec sheets and pricing for the Cats we currently have available to own into the program. Cheers!
Old 05-06-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Christine, why don't you comment on those questions publicly, here on a public forum? Instead of soliciting private business?

If there are good points to be made, they will remain here for all to see. And this is not the first or only time that someone has come to a public forum asking if buying into a sailboat charter makes any kind of sense, the topic comes up every year.

Obviously it makes sense to some people, but perhaps you can tell us all when it will or won't be profitable, or advisable, in general. Does it work for people who make under a million a year? Over a hundred grand? Need a tax shelter? Please, do tell us all.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.