Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014
SailBeat

SailBeat is on a distinguished road
How to skipper your own charter yacht

Enjoy!

EDIT: Removed Link that is in violation of forum rules. Jeff_H Sailnet Moderator.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-16-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: How to skipper your own charter yacht

Started reading your article, but stopped when the spelling and grammar errors got to be too annoying. What I will tolerate in private conversation, or even on a forum like this, I will not tolerate from a commercial website. If you wish to do business with me then your sales pitch must not distract me with grammatical errors.

If English is not your native language, as I suspect it is not, then I would suggest that you should get some translation assistance.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-16-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

...a bit harsh man!

Easily readable and obviously a euro take on the subject.

I too get frustrated when there are spelling errors say in newspapers and/or books, but I dont see the point here really.

I would love to see what you thought was so grammatically wrong as to prevent you from reading further...

anywhoo...jajaja

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 06-16-2014

I may add however, I was confused by the title of the thread...

To me it reads how to become a charter yacht skipper of your own boat!

anyways,

christian

Old 06-16-2014

I'm not going to itemize all of the errors. It's not like I suggested that no one else should read the articles, because of the grammatical errors. I just said that they were too distracting for me (though I doubt that I am completely alone in that).

I was simply trying to offer some helpful advice to the proprietor of that website. I think his business will do better if he (or she) spends the money for a proper translation. But in the end, it is entirely his choice.
Old 06-16-2014

Siamese is on a distinguished road

I agree with denver regarding the spelling and grammar. If your goal is to produce a polished piece, and pass yourself as knowledgeable, you can plan to lose a portion of your audience if you can't spell.

As soon as I got to "yacht's", when you intent was yachts plural (yachts), I was done with you.
Old 06-16-2014

man when you speak other languages you cant be perfect all the time...

its not like there is only one language out there

we should be more understanding

I actually found a lot of the info helpful, and also I didnt know about some of those programs he was talking about...

DESPITE the huge grammatical errors

man

Old 06-16-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

The information is incomplete.

IYT also offers the ICC - and you can get in North America.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-16-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I can see where Christian is coming from but have to agree with Denver and Siamese that the grammar and punctuation is simply awful.

It is all very well to make allowances for someone for whom English is not their first language but reality is if you want to market yourself to an English speaking audience then you need to get it right.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
...reality is if you want to market yourself to an English speaking audience then you need to get it right.
Exactly. As I said, casual conversation, or a forum like this, is a whole different matter. In those cases I am ready, willing, and able to make a great deal of allowance for the language barriers that inevitably come up, given the global nature of the internet. People who will not make those kind of allowances are just being arrogant and intolerant.

But when you are trying to sell your product it is completely different. Then you need to be willing to spend the money for a proper translation to whatever language your target audience may be. That applies to everyone. I have absolutely no tolerance for American businesses that think the whole world should be speaking English, or who think that someone with a high-school education in Spanish is good enough to do their translations for both the Spain and South American markets.

If you are trying to sell to people in Brazil, as an example, then you had darned well better get your message properly translated into the Brazilian dialect of Portuguese, most preferably by someone who is from Brazil. You cannot just assume that a translation that is good enough for Portugal must be good enough for Brazil. If you are too cheap and/or lazy to do that, then your business will probably fail, and it will be entirely your own fault.

And with that I will get off of my soap-box. I apologize to SailBeat for getting this thread off track. Nonetheless, SailBeat, if you want your business to succeed, I think you need to take some of the advice here to heart. Good luck.