SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing the waters of Lake Champlain

29K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jimsandkittys 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me about sailing in this body of water. Specifically I am interested in the Burlington area as being the port of call.

What types of sail boats are most popular in this area? Which are the most common and best suited to this lake? I hear it can be shallow in spots. Is that so?

Thanks much.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Cruising Lake Champlain Rentals

Several years ago we rented for 1/2 day through "Winds of Ireland" for a family get together and really enjoyed it. I believe it was a 35' Hunter - I forget now. You will need your certification papers and/or comparable ships log for the paperwork. Overall, no problems with the vessel or Winds of Ireland staff. Had a super time. We also have rented smaller vessels (power and sail) through what is now "Ladd's Landing" in Grand Isle. That was a very long time ago and I don't know what they have for rentals now. I do believe they had rentals in the 30'+ range but you would have to check to see what they are up to these days. These folks were always excellent to work with.

#8 ·
Many people anchor overnight, it should be fine as long as you are outside the beach swimming area. When you are not sure where to ancore look around when you see other boats ancored it is agood sign that it is a good place to ancor. There is lots of boat on lake Champlain, good anchoring bays are always busy. If there is no one ask yourself questions.

Have fun!

#10 ·
Been there and sailed there once, so I'm an expert. Not.
But what I sailed were the community sailing boats at Burlington, it's a good facility and they may have answers to some of your
questions:

#12 ·
We are thinking of buying a lake house south of Westport, NY and was wondering how is the sailing in that area? Main concern is how that little bay is protected from the prevailing winds or potential storms... Another one I have is dock management. The house has a nice dock surrounded by what looks, deep water. Not that this matter much because our 19-foot sport cruiser sailboat has a swing keel and only draws 6" with the keel up. But I suppose the dock needs to be removed during winter time? And how about lake water level variations? We visited another home higher on the lake near Burlington, VT and owner said there were 6' or 7' variation during the season which seems to be quite a lot? Attached photos of location.

Map World Terrestrial plant Screenshot Rectangle

Water Cloud Sky Plant Lake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.