Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014

tomholly12 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Boston

Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot! I'm looking to charter a sailboat in the Boston, MA area, or close to it. I'd like to take my girlfriend for a weekend trip to Maine, or just up and down the coast. Any suggestions? As a poor Tall Ship sailor, I have the certifications and experience, but cost is always an issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Chartering in Boston

Boston Harbor Sailing Club (Boston Sailing - Schools Lessons Certifications - Boston Harbor Sailing Club - Sailboat Racing Moorings Rentals Charters) charters some old (weary) Pearson / CAL / Albin boats. They have full electronics, but in my experience (2005-2007), you will want to clean their boat before you spend the night on it.

For a more expensive, and traditional, charter experience, contact Hope Swift Hope Swift, Charter Broker specializing in crewed and bareboat charters. Assuming that you want to go to Maine, you will want a boat on the north shore of Boston (Ipswich, Salem, or Winthrop MA). Otherwise, I suggest that you look at chartering on Buzzards or Narragansett Bay. Hope has charters there, as does Narragansett Sailing ()

August - October are the BEST times to sail in New England.

Have FUN!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

YIKES! I just looked at the prices...

If you're interested in chartering out of Providence, I'll give you a discreet-captained charter for 2 on my O'day 35, for the price of the Albin 28. PM me if interested.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Old 07-23-2014

August - October are the BEST times to sail in New England.

Have FUN![/quote]

Thanks! I am leaning towards the Boston Harbor Sailing Club that you mentioned. Do you have any recommendations as to which vessel I should try to choose? I think we will have 4 guests aboard, counting myself. Would the Cal 33 or Pearson 31 be suffiecient space wise? I might just go with the Cal 39.....
Old 07-23-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

You really can't go to Maine in a weekend unless you charter a Cigarette. Not a lot of short term options, Swift Yachts is a good resource, but is not likely to brokero less than a full week, the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boats are available short term but are pretty beaten up, so maybe roll the dice and try https://boatbound.co/boat-rentals?near=Boston%2C+MA.
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

If you're looking to sail with 6 aboard, the Cal 39 (All is Lost boat) or the Pearson 36 would be good choices... The Cal 33 or the Pearson 34 (assuming that Kaching-Kaching is still in the fleet) would be fine for a total crew of 4.

Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
You really can't go to Maine in a weekend unless you charter a Cigarette. Not a lot of short term options, Swift Yachts is a good resource, but is not likely to brokero less than a full week, the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boats are available short term but are pretty beaten up, so maybe roll the dice and try https://boatbound.co/boat-rentals?near=Boston%2C+MA.
I mis-read the OP... I thought that you were looking for a week, not a weekend!

I TOTALLY agree with SF's post. Fuggedabout Maine.

Do-able on a sailboat from Boston would be Scituate to Plymouth and back, or P-Town and back.

Old 07-23-2014

Thanks for all the great information guys!

Just to clarify-you don't think it's possible to go from boston to York Maine in a 3 day trip? I believe it's only around 70 NM.....
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Plan on 5kts and 8hr days. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I assume that your guests would like to enjoy the trip, rather than make a delivery.

Also, because of the prevailing winds, it is far easier to get to Maine from Boston, than get to Boston from Maine.

Old 07-23-2014

Perfect! Maybe I'll consider something like Plymouth instead....