Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014

tomholly12 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Boston

Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot! I'm looking to charter a sailboat in the Boston, MA area, or close to it. I'd like to take my girlfriend for a weekend trip to Maine, or just up and down the coast. Any suggestions? As a poor Tall Ship sailor, I have the certifications and experience, but cost is always an issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Chartering in Boston

Boston Harbor Sailing Club (Boston Sailing - Schools Lessons Certifications - Boston Harbor Sailing Club - Sailboat Racing Moorings Rentals Charters) charters some old (weary) Pearson / CAL / Albin boats. They have full electronics, but in my experience (2005-2007), you will want to clean their boat before you spend the night on it.

For a more expensive, and traditional, charter experience, contact Hope Swift Hope Swift, Charter Broker specializing in crewed and bareboat charters. Assuming that you want to go to Maine, you will want a boat on the north shore of Boston (Ipswich, Salem, or Winthrop MA). Otherwise, I suggest that you look at chartering on Buzzards or Narragansett Bay. Hope has charters there, as does Narragansett Sailing ()

August - October are the BEST times to sail in New England.

Have FUN!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

YIKES! I just looked at the prices...

If you're interested in chartering out of Providence, I'll give you a discreet-captained charter for 2 on my O'day 35, for the price of the Albin 28. PM me if interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-23-2014

August - October are the BEST times to sail in New England.

Have FUN![/quote]

Thanks! I am leaning towards the Boston Harbor Sailing Club that you mentioned. Do you have any recommendations as to which vessel I should try to choose? I think we will have 4 guests aboard, counting myself. Would the Cal 33 or Pearson 31 be suffiecient space wise? I might just go with the Cal 39.....
Old 07-23-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

You really can't go to Maine in a weekend unless you charter a Cigarette. Not a lot of short term options, Swift Yachts is a good resource, but is not likely to brokero less than a full week, the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boats are available short term but are pretty beaten up, so maybe roll the dice and try https://boatbound.co/boat-rentals?near=Boston%2C+MA.
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

If you're looking to sail with 6 aboard, the Cal 39 (All is Lost boat) or the Pearson 36 would be good choices... The Cal 33 or the Pearson 34 (assuming that Kaching-Kaching is still in the fleet) would be fine for a total crew of 4.

Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
You really can't go to Maine in a weekend unless you charter a Cigarette. Not a lot of short term options, Swift Yachts is a good resource, but is not likely to brokero less than a full week, the Boston Harbor Sailing Club boats are available short term but are pretty beaten up, so maybe roll the dice and try https://boatbound.co/boat-rentals?near=Boston%2C+MA.
I mis-read the OP... I thought that you were looking for a week, not a weekend!

I TOTALLY agree with SF's post. Fuggedabout Maine.

Do-able on a sailboat from Boston would be Scituate to Plymouth and back, or P-Town and back.

Old 07-23-2014

Thanks for all the great information guys!

Just to clarify-you don't think it's possible to go from boston to York Maine in a 3 day trip? I believe it's only around 70 NM.....
Old 07-23-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Plan on 5kts and 8hr days. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I assume that your guests would like to enjoy the trip, rather than make a delivery.

Also, because of the prevailing winds, it is far easier to get to Maine from Boston, than get to Boston from Maine.

Old 07-23-2014

Perfect! Maybe I'll consider something like Plymouth instead....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.