Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014

CaptStephan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptStephan
Couple Seeks Long Term Bareboat Charter

Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a 8 to 10 week charter starting in January 2015. We are well qualified (I have a USCG 50T Masters) and experienced sailors with a history of returning our 1 and 2 week charters in as good or better condition than when we took them out.

We are seeking something "out of the box", trying to spend FAR less than what we typically do on a weekly charter. We are willing to pay with TLC, maintenance, delivery, etc. or happy to come to a financial arrangement that works for all.

Our favorite cruising areas are BVI down to the Grenadines as well as Belize, but we are willing to consider any and all cruising grounds.

Open for suggestions!!

Thanks,
Capt. Stephan
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Couple Seeks Long Term Bareboat Charter

Welcome to SN.

Did you check out these guys? Seabbatical Long Term Bareboat Yacht Charter - BVI Bareboat Charters
They have a good reputation.
Old 08-12-2014

Thanks and yes I did. Their smallest boat is a 38' cat that rents for nearly $13,000 per month. I usually charter with sailtmm.com and they have a 10% discount that brings their smallest cat to about $14,400 per month. Those prices are before cruising taxes, insurance, etc.

That is just too much for us. We are hoping for something considerably less than those prices and are willing to pay in other ways as mentioned.
Old 08-12-2014
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStephan View Post
Thanks and yes I did. Their smallest boat is a 38' cat that rents for nearly $13,000 per month. I usually charter with sailtmm.com and they have a 10% discount that brings their smallest cat to about $14,400 per month. Those prices are before cruising taxes, insurance, etc.

That is just too much for us. We are hoping for something considerably less than those prices and are willing to pay in other ways as mentioned.

I be amazed if you find what you are looking for.

Dave
Old 08-12-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

For the sake of the exercise, contact Cecilia Donegan at Provalor Yachts, (pvc@provalorcharters.com). She and her husband are old friend of ours and if anyone has the scoop on long term Charters in the BVI, it will be Cecila. (Tell her Scott of svHyLyte referred you.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-13-2014

OK, I will drop them a note. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I had a skipper all set up for this deal. He delivers my boat from RI to the Caribbean in the Fall and back in the Spring for zero. If he has to pay crew, it's on him. He gets to live aboard all winter, in exchange for keeping her clean and maintained. Effectively, he and his wife boat sits.

I come use the boat for about 3 to 4 weeks and he needs to find somewhere else to live during those periods, or just fly home, at his expense. I was going to pay all marina fees and the hard cost of repairs. His labor was free or he paid someone else if he didn't want to do the work.

I think it was a good deal for both of us. His cost to live aboard for most of the winter was minimal compared to chartering. He likely was going to need crew for the two passages, which could be thousands, plus a few airline tickets. Although, I would have agreed to allow crew to play aboard down south for a week or so in exchange.

For me, marina costs to keep her in the water seemed reasonable. I can't justify $30-$40k in delivery expenses, just to use the boat for a few weeks.

This was all drafted up over a few beers one afternoon. In the end, we never did it. First, after I sobered up, I wasn't convinced I would even get away for the 3-4 weeks. I spend a lot of time aboard over the summer (typing from anchorage right now) and try to keep my nose to the grindstone in the winter. Second, the boat would unquestionably suffer notable wear and tear.

I have bareboat chartered myself several times since. It's cheaper and easier.

You may, however, sell the above concept to someone. Some just want their own boat down there. I was very close.
capecodda and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-13-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

14 grand for a month?????????????????????? holy cow man...

what are you looking for?

if you take my boat up to florida(barebones) you can do whatever you want...you pay expenses....

hows that for a change? jajajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-13-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

At one time I went through similar logic as Mini under similar circumstances (yes, a bar was involved), and also never pulled the trigger. I even looked at the transport companies to reduce post delivery repair costs. Talk about over the moon costs, put your boat on the Super Servant!

It still seems to me to be a very logical idea, but the relationship with the owner and trust factor would have to be extremely high to hand over one of your favorite toys. I think this idea works best when both parities have know each other for a long time.
Old 08-13-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
......I think this idea works best when both parities have know each other for a long time.
This is exactly true. As an owner, I would never trust my boat to someone I just met. The skipper in the story above is someone I've known for a while and has delivered this boat for me several times. I trusted he knew the boat and would take care of it.

Probably best for the OP to get some delivery gigs first to get to know the owners and their boats.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
charter