SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Chartering in the Pacific NW

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim H 
#1 ·
My wife and I want to charter a boat out of Bellingham, Vancouver or anywhere else in that area around June 16th. I have searched the web and found alot of charter companies. What I would like is if anyone knew of a great charter bargain. We don't need anything bigger than a 32', even a 29 or 30' would be ok. What I would like is a good price for a clean boat. Thanks, Rock

#3 ·
Two questions come to mind - where do you want to sail and how long will your charter last? If you plan to sail the US San Juans only, Bellingham is a good choice. If you plan to sail the Canadian Gulf Islands or Desolation Sound - this would be my choice - I agree with Richard Elliot. No personal experience but I've encountered Desolation Sound Yacht Charterers who were pleased with their experience.

For the San Juan Islands, I recommend San Juan Sailing. Six years ago, I chartered with San Juan Sailing in Bellingham and was very satisfied. Over the past 2 years, I've had 2 different groups of sailing friends who chartered with SJS based on my recommendations and they all had a good time. For the past 5 years I've kept my own boat at the US/CN boarder in Blaine WA, but spent 90% of my cruising time in Canada.

If you only have one week, I would not recommend trying to sample both the San Juans and the Gulf Islands - it's too rushed.

Don Walsh
Jeanneau 37 - Windfall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.