BVI Beef Island Anchorage - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-07-2014 Thread Starter

BVI Beef Island Anchorage

I will be a first time BVI charterer next year. I'd like some info on Trellis Bay/ Beef Island. How easy is the airport access? How close is it to Virgin Gorda? Is it a one day sail from the Bitter End? Or should I be closer in (one day out)? What is the noise level from the airport and is it easy to pick up/ drop off passengers at the airport?

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-07-2014

Re: BVI Beef Island Anchorage

If it were me, I would have my guests take a taxi to the beach at Trellis Bay and meet them with the dinghy.

Nothing is more than a daysail away in the BVI.

Airport noise quiets down at night. It won't bother you.
BoxedUp likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-07-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I will be a first time BVI charterer next year. I'd like some info on Trellis Bay/ Beef Island. How easy is the airport access? How close is it to Virgin Gorda? Is it a one day sail from the Bitter End? Or should I be closer in (one day out)? What is the noise level from the airport and is it easy to pick up/ drop off passengers at the airport?
Have a great time George.

Airport is an easy walk even with luggage - three maybe four minutes walk. Paved to the ferry dock, lots of beach space south of the dock.

Two or three hours from BEYC to Trellis Bay, including getting out of North Sound and grabbing a ball in Trellis Bay. Anchoring in there is tight.

A little noisy under the runway during the day but there is no traffic at night.

Easy.

Watch the reef around Bellamy Cay. Most of it is so shallow even a dinghy can't cross over. Your charter boat will probably come with a Dodge guide and the BVI Anchorages picture book so you can see where the reef is.
MarkofSeaLife and jimrafford like this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2014

Dock

Trellis bay is a bit hard to find a park because of the moorings but squeeze in because your gursts will love walking out the airport door onto the sand and into the dinghy. Its a truly tropical experience. Ok its a few meters walk but not far.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #5 of 22 Old 11-08-2014

Easy as others have explained. Your guest will love it. I encourage you to get to the bay as early as you can to maximize your odds of finding an empty mooring. My rule of thumb was also before 2pm in the BVIs. As crowds build, it can get earlier and earlier. Noon should be very safe and very doable from BEYC.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Easy as others have explained. Your guest will love it. I encourage you to get to the bay as early as you can to maximize your odds of finding an empty mooring. My rule of thumb was also before 2pm in the BVIs. As crowds build, it can get earlier and earlier. Noon should be very safe and very doable from BEYC.
Ditto on leaving where you are early and arriving to your next destination early. You'll enjoy the afternoon in your new location and not have the drama of trying to find a mooring at the new anchorage lat in the day. For some unexplained reason, I have never chartered a boat in the BVI's that had the anchor chain marked, so you'll be trying to figure out how much scope you have.

Have a great trip. I envy you!
post #7 of 22 Old 11-08-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Try and schedule your visit to Trellis Bay to coincide with the full moon.

They have a legendary party then.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Try and schedule your visit to Trellis Bay to coincide with the full moon.

They have a legendary party then.
True, but it's also not everyone's cup of tea.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-10-2014
Freedom 39

If going there for the full moon party be sure to arrive very early in the day. Moorings fill up fast!!! It's doubtful the OP will be there on a full moon. Just to add a little; Do NOT pass between the boats moored closest to Bellamy Cay and the Cay itself. I've seen countless big boats, and dinghies too, hit the coral there!!!

Ditto on the info given by others.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-10-2014
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Really depends if you're chartering in low or high season. In low season, there's usually overnight mooring balls available even after 3PM. My only recommendation is if you're planning to visit the Baths on Virgin Gorda, these day moorings fill up fast all year round and it's best to arrive as early as possible, even before 8AM. Rouse your crew up early (or even just motor and let them sleep), get underway and have breakfast after you grab a mooring @ the Baths. An overnight in either Trellis Bay or Cooper Island makes a quick passage to the Baths.

Have fun planning your itinerary. Not soon after your first charter in the BVI, you'll be planning for your second!

I've got blisters on my fingers

Tags
bvi charter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.