Old 11-14-2014

jdburton11 is on a distinguished road
San Juan Islands May 2015

Been several years since I was there.
  • Recommendations on bareboat services?
  • Anchorages?
  • What to see and do?
  • What not to see and do?

Looks like a party of 6 or maybe 8. Mostly nonboaters, but willing to learn. Probably doing a trawler-type or cat.

Comments and advice welcome.

Thanks,
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2014

wristwister is on a distinguished road
Re: San Juan Islands May 2015

Favorite anchorage: Shallow Bay on the west side of Sucia Island

Best hiking: Eagle Harbor on Cypress Island

Must get: T shirt at Stuart Island treasure chest

Best kept secret: Vendovi Island. Can't overnight there but cool stop

Stay away: Cattle Point Pass between Lopes and San Juan Islands. Bizarre waves and currents

Funnest day: grab a mooring ball at Spencer Spit for the night, rent bikes on the beach, ride to Lopez Village for ice cream cones

Best marina: Friday Harbor. Always room, and fun town.

... I could go on and on, I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions.
erps likes this.
Old 11-19-2014

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road

Consider re-posting your inquiry under: Destinations/Pacific Northwest. You may get more replies.

Visit this site, buy the book Home | Waggoner Cruising Guide.

It will be your main cruising resource in the San Juan Islands.

If your time permits and you all have passports, consider hopping over to Canada. Two places in particular. Ganges on Saltspring Island. For a very (and then some) large splurge you could dine at the exquisite Hastings House. Or, you could have a beer and a burger at The Treehouse Cafe and take in some great music. This is a highlight of my family's summer. After that head over to Montegue Harbor. In May, the harbor may be peaceful. In the summer it's too crowded for my tastes. Instead, anchor on the north side of the peninsula by the "Shell Beach". Just ask a local in Ganges to point it out on a chart.

Get the Waggoner guide ASAP so you have time to dream and plan.

As far as charter outfits go, San Juan Sailing in Bellingham, WA would be my first recommendation. boats are maintained to the highest standards. They will also be able to suggest itineraries. Welcome to San Juan Sailing. The next is Anacortes Yacht Charters. Anacortes Yacht Charters.

A word of caution. May is "iffy" weather wise. It could be glorious. It could be wet, cold and rainy. The best Nw weather is July 5 - Sept 30.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2014

rgp is on a distinguished road

Cabbage Island, at the southern end of Saturna, is our favorite anchorage.
If you go to Ganges check out the movie theater, the Fritz.
Old 11-19-2014

jdburton11 is on a distinguished road

Good notes, guys. Thanks for your help. I'm sure we'll plug this all into the plan.

Hangup: RE Anacortes charters vs San Juan Sailing: I used Anacortes in the past and they did well. SJS looks like it's several miles further from the cruising area -- any thoughts on that? Due to the size & makeup of the group, I may end up having to choose based on available inventory, but whatever other information you have is appreciated.

JB
Old 11-19-2014

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road

I doubt any difference in distance equates to more than a few hours time on the water. I own a charter sailboat in Seattle. The biggest reason I recommend SJ Sailing is that I Have talked with their charter customers and boat owners while cruising. Nothing but rave reviews. I have also talked with the folks who run SJ Sailing. They are an independent, well run outfit. That is, they don't have an affiliation with Sunsail or Morrings. I hope to buy a newer/bigger boat in the future and put it in to their program.

I can't say anything bad about the Anacortes operation. I think they are a Morrings (sp?) affiliate. I just have not had any direct contact with owners or charter customers.

If you do have a size able group make sure you start making any necessary marina reservations soon after January 1.

Also, Deer Harbor on Orcas is also a family favorite.
Old 11-19-2014

k7el is on a distinguished road

I've done charters with both San Juan Sailing and Anacortes Yacht Charters. Both are good. SJS has more sailboats and the boats are more consistently equipped with their required gear. Anacortes is closer to the San Juans, but it's not a major factor to me.

You'll want the Waggoner's Guide, as mentioned already. Also, currents are strong so you'll want to get a tide atlas and try to be going with the current rather than against. Make a huge difference.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.