Sailing USVI/BVI from CYOA Yacht Charters - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-05-2015 Thread Starter

Sailing USVI/BVI from CYOA Yacht Charters

We just returned from a week in the BVI. We chartered Mei Nu, a Jeanneau 44i from CYOA and our very own member, Far Cry, did our check out!

Here's a first. Nothing on the boat broke all week!! For all that have chartered, you're probably going to find that hard to believe, but it's true. She was 5 years old, I believe, and in most fleets would be completely washed out. Of course, she had a few scuffs, but I've seen much more on boats that were under one year old in the Moorings fleet. Literally.

I've never seen a complete spare inventory and tool kit aboard before. At best, a blister pack of tools and had never been opened. You felt you could handle the basics, if necessary.

The checkout is not cursory, it contains systems, charts and a practical exercise. They do a real inventory aboard and the briefer (FarCry for us) was very helpful with local knowledge (see thread on Christmas Cove and Pizza Pi boat! Awesome). While you're not trying to pass your unlimited offshore with sailing endorsement, all charters must show that you can unfurl, furl and tack the boat. It also serves to insure these systems work and the sails are in good shape. We were less than fully smooth from the winter layup and we went with another couple, whom we hadn't sailed with before. No fatal errors, just less than perfectly coordinated on day one. If FarCry rolled his eyes at all, he was polite enough to do so without us noticing.

The extra diligence really seems to pay off in the fleet. They take good care of their boats and make an effort to be sure you are prepared to sail her. The check out is not intimidating, although, having to fly the sails on a boat you've been aboard for a few hours on your first sail can be a touch nerve wracking. I think they take that into consideration. I believe they just want to be sure you're reasonably capable and comfortable in actually using the systems aboard and that they work. They don't want to chase you down on your first leg, because you find a furler jammed. In fact, before we even left the dock, they came down and replaced the jib with a brand new sail.

We've always chartered from Tortola, both Road Town and Nanny Cay. While one could argueTortola is more centrally located to sail from, the convenience of being literally 5 mins from the St Thomas airport to CYOA is nearly luxurious!! No ferry hassles, no cattle pen of customs in Road Town. We had a nice fast boat, so we covered 9 bays in 6 days and sailed her from St Thomas to Jost Van Dyke to Norman to North Sound on Virgin Gorda back to several Bays on St Johh (Maho, Cinnamon, Hawkwnest, Caneel and Lameshur) then to Christmas Cove on St. James (home of the Pizza Pi boat that makes fresh pizza to order!). That's more coverage than we've ever made from Road Town and we never felt rushed.

Of course, we did have 20+ kts of wind every day, so getting 8kts out of her was pretty common!! That helped cover some ground. We saw 10.1 surfing downwind once. Wooohooo.

We cleared customs into BVI on Jost Van Dyke, where they also clear you back out simultaneously. We cleared back into the US in Cruz Bay, St John. I've avoided the need previously, as it seemed like too much hassle. It's really not that bad (much faster than waiting on the ferry lines) and CYOA gives you all the forms and provides samples aboard for how to complete them.

I'm a believer! CYOA is a small operation but has great service and has a process that maximizes the reliability of their fleet. We will be back and I highly recommend them.

BTW, the wine bar restaurant across the parking lot from their dock is outstanding too!!

Thanks again to Far Cry. It was great to meet you. Say hello to Zanchin for us, if you see him. We were looking forward to a rematch from our last encounter with him.
Slayer and vtp like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-05-2015

Re: Sailing USVI/BVI from CYOA Yacht Charters

Sounds like an awesome trip! We are thinking of doing a short charter in the offseason and CYOA was on our short list. Good to see a positive review!

The Office
c&C 35/3
Annapolis
post #3 of 24 Old 03-05-2015
Reforming Stinkpotter

Glad you guys had a good time. Mei Nu is a great boat. Glad we got the new sail on before you left. Welcome to the CYOA family.

Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Jay! I didn't realize you were knocking around here as well. Good to meet you as well.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-06-2015
Freedom 39

It was nice to meet you Minnewaska and spend a little time together. Had I known you were on Mei Nu and I was doing your briefing I would've come down the night before and shared a beverage or two. Something to plan on for next time.

You guys sailed fine. No eye rolling from me. I've done countless sail checks and I can appreciate that there are actually people on the planet that don't sail multiple times per week.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-06-2015 Thread Starter

Beverage is on us next time. There was originally someone else doing our briefing on day of arrival, but it was cancelled while we were enroute to start the following morning. I recalled you saying you were only around on weekends and had other obligations mid-week. Glad it worked out!

Jeanneau 54DS

post #7 of 24 Old 03-08-2015
Lookin' for an excuse ...

I chartered from CYOA 25 years ago and they were great then. I've tried a few times in recent years but could never get the right boat for a large group. Rather than being disappointed I'm impressed that they keep so busy based in the USVI's. With the ridiculous airfare flying into Tortolla, more charters are going to realize a better way to go is getting the boat in the USVI's.

Capt Tony
post #8 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sailing USVI/BVI from CYOA Yacht Charters

Looking at going out of CYOA next spring with a few couples...read plenty of great reviews about them and look forward to it...FarCry, could we email sometime? I have a few questions about the area
post #9 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrplayr2734 View Post
......I have a few questions about the area
Many of us here have been to the area several times, feel free to ask away.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrplayr2734 View Post
...could we email sometime? I have a few questions about the area
No, no, no. Don't e-mail. The whole value of a forum like this comes from people sharing information. This is the kind of information that a lot of people would like to hear about. Do the information exchange on the forum, where others can benefit as well.

PLEASE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.