Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2001

allen19644 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Dear North Sea,

I have used GPSC before, as have many friends of mine and stand by my recommendation. They have never let me down. It is unfortunate you feel the way you do and you are entitled to your opinion as I and my friends are entitled to ours. Our group felt very safe on the "Bloom" and will ask for the same boat again next year. Just because you had such a bad experience is no reason to try and bully other people into changing their mind.

Regards,

Allen Roberts
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2001

North Sea is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Dear Allen,

You might be interested to read the following letter that was just posted on sailing.com.

It''s from a woman who appears to edit a sailing guide - and doesn''t seem to be a bully:

"This is the third negative story I''ve heard about GPSC, and is virtually identical to the observations some friends of mine made after returning from a trip to the Med. I take their opinions seriously because he''s a licensed skipper under sail and worked those waters as a deckhand on the Sea Cloud. His said that next time he''d rather spend the extra money and go with the Moorings.

Kitty McKoon-Hennick
Sailing Guide
Sailing.About.Com"

I hope this is helpful,
Best wishes,
North Sea

Old 11-30-2001

KPBaker is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

I also recommend staying away from GPSC. We chartered with them two years ago.After arriving in Athens, they informed us that that they had to let another customer take the boat that we had contracted to charter with them. We were told that the boat they had "swapped" us over to would be in the next morning. When we arrived at the docks, we were told the boat was on the way in from one of the islands. We were kept waiting for hours for the boat. Once the boat did arrive, they did a quick cleaning and we were sent off with out a briefing. The Greek islands are a great place to cruise, but not with GPSC!!
Old 11-30-2001

isabelle is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Hi,

My friends and I chartered this summer a venus 18 from GPSC. Although some of us were experienced sailors we decided to take a professional skipper because it was the first time we visited the greek waters. Our experience with GPSC has been one of the best! and we have chartered with a lot of other companies all over the world. The boat was clean, in good working order and our skipper Spiros was outstanding. Also the service before and after our charter was personal and to the point! We will be back next year and ofcourse we will charter again from GPSC!
Old 12-01-2001

sailor37 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

We chartered with GPSC in October and had a very similar experience as Wensum. This was a bare boat charter. I expect that if we had a captain he would have made sure the boat was in good condition. As it turned out when we checked out the boat, a Beneteau 45 named Alexandra, the batteries were dead, the water tanks had not been topped off and the only flashlight on the boat did not work. The batteries took a half-gallon of water. The boat was clearly not ready for a charter. Further inspection of the boat revealed that the steering pedestal had a very worn bearing as the top of the wheel could be moved fore and aft an inch or two, life line stanchions were not secure, the backstay turnbuckle was badly bent and the boat showed poor maintenance. We obviously were not happy with the boat but were told there was no other boat available, take it or leave it!

Once under way we discovered that the roller furling jammed as the lead to the drum was incorrect, navigation and anchor lights did not work, engine hour meter did not work and forward shower sump pump switch was faulty. When we went to use the inflatable we found the oars had been replaced with short paddles, the seat was missing from the inflatable and the outboard engine ran but over heated, as it did not pump cooling water. The most dangerous problem however was the windless installation. There was less than 90 degree of chain engagement with the drum, which meant you, had to keep your foot on the chain or the chain would run free. As the chain was brought onboard it would pile up and fowl the drum unless you manually swept the chain forward into the lower part of the locker.

In spite of the disappointment with the boat we had a great vacation as the weather was near perfect and the islands were most interesting.

The worst aspect of the charter was GPSCís attitude upon our return. They said it was our responsibility to make sure everything on the boat worked before we left the dock, as the boat owner was responsible for maintenance, not GPSC. They stated that we must have been expecting a new boat. No, but we did expect a boat that was maintained as described in the literature. We were then disturbed to learn that the damage deposit was not immediately returned but would be returned by mail from the office in Philadelphia. We were told it would probably be there when we returned. It took four weeks before we received the deposit.

By the way we chartered with GPSC based on a recommendation. Unfortunately GPSC isnít what it use to be.
Old 12-04-2001

Waterbarrel is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Took my first ever charter on "Bloom" through GPSC. From a layman''s perspective it was "interesting". For the first few days the continual,almost comical at times, challenges reminded us of why we didn''t own a boat! Luckily we had not one but four qualified sailors aboard so improvisation coped with most challenges - my wife even found it funny when I ended up on my back in the bottom of the dinghy when the rollock didn''t work- you guessed it, we were trying to row because the outboard didn''t work. Greece can be hot but Bloom has airconditioning, or at least it would have if the generator charged the battery. I can tolerate trivial problems like a broken rollock but non-functioning navigation equipment and problems* with the generator''s wiring are serious issues. Surely GPSC should be held responsible for not assuring themselves that this boat was properly maintained?
Hopefully GPSC will get its act together before next season so that all their clients get the rewarding experience described by others. Personally, I wouldn''t have missed it for the world but I''m glad I was a "passenger" and not expected to cope with Bloom''s little challenges!

*I can vouch for the fact that we didn''t have power. I rely on a colleague who crawled into the engine compartment for comments on the condition of the wiring.
Old 12-07-2001

Wensum is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Hello George,
It is over three weeks since your SHOUTED DISMAY about the adverse comments on the way GPSC Charters does business. You asked me to reply, which I did with an attachment of the letter addressed to Cynthia Orr detailing our complaints.
Since then, SILENCE.
You have not responded, nor has Ginny Heyer replied to our not unreasonable request for receipts accounting for deductions made from our security deposit that were not agreed by us.
Has GPSC gone into silent mode?
Old 12-15-2001

soda is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

You must change the topic and call this message board ''sailing or not with GPSC''
Thanks
Old 12-15-2001

North Sea is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Good point. Is it possible to change the topic title from ''Chartering in Greece'' to ''Sailing or Not with GPSC''?

A number of contributors seem to have strong views on this subject, and the new title would better reflect this on-going discussion.
Old 01-30-2002

seawindgr is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Greece

Would like to get in contact with people interested in Greece. Available for cruising: a Catamaran 10" (sleeps six comfortably) and a Sun Odyssey 40".
seawindgr@yahoo.com