Chartering an Ericson 35 Mk II - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2015 Thread Starter

Chartering an Ericson 35 Mk II

Hello all I am currently restoring an Ericson 35 MKII and am planning on doing charters with her next year in the USVI.

Any advice on how to obtain the licenses for business and what type of insurance would be awesome.

Also what safety regulations will I need to meet and that I should keep in mind while restoring the boat.

Also anything I should add to the boat that would be easy now that would give my sailboat a competitive advantage in the daytime chartering business.

Thank you,
Tommy
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Chartering an Ericson 35 Mk II

Assuming you intend to skipper the charters, you would need to obtain a OUPV license, a so-called 6pack. As you would be operating your boat as an "un-inpected" vessel, chartering creates no additional requirements for the vessel beyond the standard safety requirements. In addition to your license, you need to obtain commercial use insurance, which you may find difficult to obtain.
In the States I am not aware of any state licensing or business requirements but any state may have something unique.

The Ericson 35 II is a lovely cruising boat, but have you considered how well it fits your intended purpose though. How well will six adult guests, together withe skipper (and a mate?) fit into the cockpit, will the skipper be able to reach the main sheet from behind the wheel, etc...?

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post

Also anything I should add to the boat that would be easy now that would give my sailboat a competitive advantage in the daytime chartering business.

Thank you,
Tommy
Buy a bigger or newer boat?

I agree with Sailingfool. The Ericson is a nice boat but not exactly suited for this task. The way the traveler is mounted breaks up the cockpit to make it less use-able than something like the MK III with the cabin top mounted traveler.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2016
Old enough to know better

Well for day sails I think the Ericson could work. It is not like you need a lot of space below, and if the boat is nicely restored it is an attractive and nice sailing boat. But I do think you would have to limit yourself to 2 couples. The big stumbling block is going to be the license as it takes a lot of documented hours to obtain as well as passing the test. Not that any of that is hard it just takes time. Here is a listing of what it required to take the test:

The primary requirements are:

Age 18 or over
360 days underway experience
90 of those days in the last 3 years
Physical, drug test and eye exam
Valid CPR/First Aid card to Valid CPR/First Aid card (American Red Cross, Heart Assoc. or USCG Approved course)
Completion of the USCG exam OR
Completion of a USCG approved course like the BOATWISE OUPV class
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card )

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.