Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006

captbones is on a distinguished road
Bahamas vs BVI

I have chartered with my wife and kids (10 and 5) in the BVI this summer and it was fantastic. I am already day dreaming about another trip next year and am wondering if I should try the Bahamas (Abacos) or return to the BVI again. I would probably go in the spring next year (early April) when the kids are on Spring Break. Anyone have any experience in the Bahamas or recommendations for the BVI vs. the Bahamas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah Capt..been to both places a bunch of times. I would encourage you to try the Abacos at that time of year as they are completely different than the BVI's and ideal for a family with young kids. The water and snorkeling and fishing is far superior to the BVI's, the cruising is totally sheltered with no navigatio difficulties and the people are friendly. The land is flat and not nearly as beautiful as the BVI's but the beaches are spectacular. It's a bit easier and cheaper to get to as well. (Fly a cheap airline into W. Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale then take a puddle jumper to Marsh Harbor.)
There aren't as many charter boats in the Abacos but there are hundreds of US based cruisers there and there is EXCELLENT provisioning available. Moorings runs a charter operation out of the Conch Inn and there is another outfit running out of the Marsh Harbor Marina but Moorings is probably your best bet. If you decide to go...I'll be happy to tell you some places to visit.
The BVI's are wonderful as well, but you've probably already hit all the big hot spots. Save the rest for another vacation!
Old 09-23-2006

bmellis is on a distinguished road
Red face BVI is Best

I've sailed both places, too. I found the BVI to be superior in all respects over the Abacos. The Abacos seems to me to be very much an extension of the US. Prices are the same - or higher. There's not much foreign about it. I found the water to be less than clear. The BVI, on the other hand, was spectacular.

If I had my way, I would recommend The Exumas in The Bahamas. No chartering that I'm aware of down that chain. But the water and the peoiple are completely different. They are much more "Bahamian" - friendlier, more welcoming.

The water is superior and the holding ground is great.
Old 09-23-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bmellis...Guess that's what makes the world go round. My most recent BVI trip we found we had to grab a $30 mooring by 2PM to be assured of having one since they crowded out all the anchoring spots with them. The people there act like they're doing you a favor (it felt like racism to me), and the customs nazis love to hassle you. The water is wonderful but not the Azure clear of the Bahamas. You wouldn't want to swim in the major Abaco harbors NOR would you want to swim in Roadtown or CruzBay...but he beaches are spectacular and the reefs are far superior to anything I've seen in the BVI's...though I agree the Exumas are even better. Anyway... I understand how you can love the BVI's but from this cruiser's perspective, the Abacos have a lot to offer and I would "do" them before a second trip to the bvi's.
Old 09-24-2006
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
captbones,

The only problem with the Abacos is that in April the weather might not be the best. If you only have a week and it coincides with a front coming through you might have a few days of cool, cloudy weather. If it's a strong front the bad weather might last a bit longer. Late May or June would be better. At least in the BVI's in April it's 84 degrees and sunny. Myself, I find the Abacos to be an extension of Miami and no longer go there but if you've never been it's still nice. It's the weather I'd worry about if on a vacation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2006

captbones is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for all the good feedback so far. End of June is also an option, but I am leaning towards April. More input from others is always welcome, and I will have to post my decision when the time comes.

Captain Bones
Old 12-31-2006
SONNY

S/VNirvana is on a distinguished road
We are Mooring Boat Owners and our boat is in Tortola. We were in Abacos this past October and it was great, our first time. I would think April it would not be too warm and there is a good chance of a cold front coming into the area. June would be better. Either choice you will find both places packed because of Spring Break. If you haven't booked already yoou may not get a vessel.

Sonny
s/v SKYLARK, P-36 For Sale
s/yNIRVANA, M494

Last edited by S/VNirvana; 01-08-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2006

Scott222 is on a distinguished road
We have been to both on our own cruising boat. If you really want to sail I would suggest the USVI/BVI's. The weather is predictable and waters seem to be mostly protected. St.John's is a wonderful island with great beaches for snorkling or just hanging out. If you can St.Croix can be a nice spot away from the usual crowds of BVI's and only 1/2 day or so away from St.Thomas...Take care, Dave&Karen, formerly of "Reflections".
Old 01-08-2007
optimom

jmdelbello is on a distinguished road
Bahamas is too cool in the spring. I agree with Vasco, early summer vacation in the Bahamas is such a great time to go.Our kids had a blast. We chartered with Florida Yacht charters out of Marsh Harbor. Have you considered other parts of the Caribbean??
http://www.sailing-advisor.com/carib...-vacation.html