Want to start great lakes charter co. - advice appreciated!! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006

mjpolifka is on a distinguished road
Want to start great lakes charter co. - advice appreciated!!

I am 19, been on boats all my life, and will be purchasing a Columbia 8.3m next summer out of Manitowoc, WI (on Lake Michigan). I'll be spending the entirety of next summer on the boat, learning it, bettering my sailing skills, and exploring Lake Michigan. The following summer I'll be graduating college, and would love to charter sailboats on the Great Lakes (it may take awhile for me to be able to live more than driving or sailing distance from Chicago). I saw a few people who do mostly day sails, at a rate of $150/hour, and didn't have prices for longer trips on their website. This price makes it possible for me to purchase a Catalina 30 or similar, which has two cabins to make longer crewed charters possible. However, I have a few questions which I hope some more experienced members may be able to answer.

First, I see that all the charter companies (sailing and fishing) have captains with a coast guard license. How hard/expensive is it to get said license, and is it helpful legally, or just to inspire confidence in possible customers?

Second, how much is insurance on a boat that is to be chartered?

Third, does anyone have a knowledge of what the sail-chartering market is like on Lake Michigan? I see fishing charters everywhere, but it took a full three hours of searching to find a crewed sail charter.

Fourth, it's hard for me to ignore inexperienced people's thoughts that this is not a possibility for me. If anyone has done it, on the Great Lakes or otherwise, please help bolster my confidence.

I know the basic costs involved with keeping a boat, and can do the math, but if anyone has any insights into things I may not be thinking of, don't hesitate to interject. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Any operation of a boat for pay has to be by a coast guard licenced captain. There are some exceptions for operating harbor launches.

Without the licence, you face real liability and you will not be able to get insurance for a charter operation.

Surf the web for tons of info on licence qualifications and schools that help get the licence. If you have been on boats all your life then you may pass the requirement of 360 days at sea. You'll need to pass the exam.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, a USCG-license is required for anyone working commercially as a captain. This means if you are paid to sail a boat as part of a business venture, have passengers who pay you to sail a boat or teach them, you probably will require at least a OUPV or six-pack USCG captain's license.

Charter companies want to have a fair amount of insurance, especially liability, so that if their customers ever cause a huge crash or are injured, they are covered financially.

No idea...

Anyone can start a business...whether you'll succeed is really more up to what kind of person you are, what skills you have, and how willing you are to learn what is needed to run such a business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2006

mjpolifka is on a distinguished road
Angry

Well it appears you must be 21 to attain the proper license. Guess I'll have to wait on that.
Old 10-06-2006
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
Tell 'ya what I would do - in the waiting time - is go here

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/download-do...-0040-719s.pdf

Save a copy of the "Small Vessel Sea Service Form" on your computer.

Read the instructions.

Then print off a copy and take it with you each time you crew on
someones boat - have the owner sign it after you fill it out.

If you own your own boat - you sign it off for your time on your sailboat.

Start keeping track of the Sea Days now -
(4 hr min away from dock = 1 Day)
by the time you hit 21/22 you will probably be supprised at the
number of Days that you will have acquired.

Good Luck

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

Last edited by sidiag; 10-06-2006 at 10:54 AM.