Navtours: Entire cost of $6000 dinghy at risk? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-2016 Thread Starter

Navtours: Entire cost of $6000 dinghy at risk?

We want to charter a Catamaran in the Exumas island chain at the southern end of the Bahamas. It is a long way from Nassau, truly gorgeous water and a very popular cruising ground for people with their own boats but the bigger charter companies like Moorings haven't started there yet.

The only company I found is Canadian and called Navtours. The few reviews I've found seem positive enough. The only glitch is a requirement that even though you pay a $500 damage waiver for the Cat, and are also liable for 20% of any repairs falling within the 6K deductible (a max of $1200 over the damage waiver) you are still liable for the ENTIRE cost of the dinghy/outboard - estimated at $6000 - should it be lost or stolen. And responsible for the total cost of dinghy/outboard repair.

I think a lost/stolen dinghy is unlikely but I've never heard of placing 100% risk on the charterer. Moorings doesn't do this.

Anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

SailShack
Experienced Cruiser, Club Racing
Medical Expertise
Gulfport, Florida
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-09-2016
Boat Bum

Re: Navtours: Entire cost of $6000 dinghy at risk?

I guess dinghy theft/loss is more prevalent than I thought. Is there a separate policy you could buy to cover the dink?

No wife, no kids, no debt.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-09-2016

We lift and lock/chain our dingy every night, chain with a 3/8 chain on docks and never tow it further than we can swim!

Dinghy theft and towing losses are very frequent!

Phil

post #4 of 4 Old 02-09-2016
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

We do not insure our dinghy simply because the premium is so high. We are very careful to make sure to lock and lift our dinghy. My understanding is that motors in the 15 hp range are very much in demand. Sounds like a $6000 dinghy would have a larger motor than my 6 hp. Make sure that your dinghy is not the one most easily stolen.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.