Planning Carribbean Bareboat Charter - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 03-09-2017

Re: Planning Carribbean Bareboat Charter

FYI - I planned a 7 day cruise - 10 people, 8 had never sailed before, used a 52 catamaran - did the tourist areas of BVI and some not so frequented places. Had 30+ knots winds on a return trip from Anegada. Need som e questions answered I can help...
SHNOOL likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-09-2017

Checking into BVI and then back into US is really not a problem if you charter out of St Thomas. I am a big fan of flying into Charlotte Amelie.

Cannot comment on chartering out of Red Hook but CYOA at Frenchtown certainly looks after their boats and are worth a look.

In terms of timing, June and even July are very uncrowded and great sailing. This time of year, Feb & March, there is a chance of strong easterly winds and northern swells from storms in New England. But by June you can be pretty sure of wind and waves running same direction.

A slightly off beat option might be to charter out of Puerto Rico and play around Culebra and Vieques with the advantage of downhill return home at the end of the week......
post #13 of 17 Old 03-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
Checking into BVI and then back into US is really not a problem if you charter out of St Thomas. I am a big fan of flying into Charlotte Amelie.

Cannot comment on chartering out of Red Hook but CYOA at Frenchtown certainly looks after their boats and are worth a look.

In terms of timing, June and even July are very uncrowded and great sailing. This time of year, Feb & March, there is a chance of strong easterly winds and northern swells from storms in New England. But by June you can be pretty sure of wind and waves running same direction.

A slightly off beat option might be to charter out of Puerto Rico and play around Culebra and Vieques with the advantage of downhill return home at the end of the week......
We've been impressed with the condition of the Island Packets that are chartered out of Red Hook by Island Yachts. I suspect that Island Yachts, which is the Island Packet dealer for the Caribbean, probably sold the charter yachts to their owners and is obligated to keep them in good condition.

In any case, the Island Packets are not race boats, but they are a cut above the Jenneaus and Beneteaus--and certainly Hunters--that other charterers tend to provide. That said, the Island Yacht boats tend to have minimal electronics (usually no chartplotter or autopilot), but I have never had to call for a problem during the 8 or so charter from Island Yachts. We've been to Anegada, St. Croix, and the Spanish Virgins, so that says something for the confidence we have in their boats.

Having been to the Spanish Virgins, we'd advise the uninitiated that it is a delightful venue, but the facilities for bareboaters--like replenishing fresh water--are not the greatest. Dewey, however, on Culebra is otherwise a bareboat cruising jewel: great anchorage, selection of restaurants, provisioning options, and even a chandlery. Also, the moorings were free when we where there several years ago. Culebrita is the most scenic place we've visited anywhere in the Virgins.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-16-2017

Hi District

I have a suggestion! My fiancÚ and I are looking for 2 more couples or singles to join us for a charter out of Tortola May 9 - May 16 2017. We love to sail and enjoy life to the fullest. Our only requested stops are Trellis Bay for the full moon party on the 10th and Jost Van Dyke! Other than that we are game for anything. We are looking into a 43' Benneteau from BVI Yacht Charters with a ASA Instructor so I can complete ASA 103 & 104 courses during the cruise. If you are interested email me at mikeatmichaelshellcpadotcom.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-17-2017

Hi SailingShells. Welcome to the forum.

Your plan sound ambitious to me. A full moon party, two certifications and strangers aboard. I wonder if an instructor would be willing to only have a couple of students, among a boat of strangers. That might be distracting. The non-certifying crew may not get to do as much sailing as they like, as the students are doing MOB drills, etc. Or, they may not get the shore time they like, as the boat is being used in class all day. Would 103/104 be roughly 3 days of the cruise? You would also have to pick up the instructor and drop them off. Sounds complicated.

p.s. Just occurred to me. I think some bareboat companies put Trellis off limits during the full moon parties. You may want to check that out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyCanadian View Post
FYI - I planned a 7 day cruise - 10 people, 8 had never sailed before, used a 52 catamaran - did the tourist areas of BVI and some not so frequented places. Had 30+ knots winds on a return trip from Anegada. Need som e questions answered I can help...
How was the charter experience with 10 people on the 52 foot catamaran. Were quarters cramped? I am considering a similar trip next year with my family - 10 adults 6 of which don't have sailing experience.
post #17 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

We did 10 with a FP Helia 44 through CYOA. My nephews loved the coffin berths with a/c, so sleeping accommodations were great. There was a ton of room to move around. Everyone had a great time. We keep a Beneteau 40 in the USVI and it was interesting to try the cat experience. 10 on the 44' cat was roomier than 6 on our 40' monohull.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD

Tags
bareboat , bareboat charter , caribbean

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.