In Search of Bareboat Wisdom - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter
gdr

Re: In Search of Bareboat Wisdom

Thanks Everyone for the helpful comments. You folks rock!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-14-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You will wear fewer clothes than you might think. Bring as much quick dry stuff as you can.
What is it with sailors once they are out of sight of land?
post #13 of 22 Old 04-14-2017

Sounds like you need to bring a check list incorporating all the suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottUK For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-18-2017)

post #14 of 22 Old 04-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You will wear fewer clothes than you might think. Bring as much quick dry stuff as you can.
Sound advice. My most recent charter and first in BVI I brought a bunch of cotton T-shirts, a Columbia nylon/polyester "performance" shirt, and one linen, button-up, short sleeve shirt I bought in Fiji. I wore the linen shirt nearly the whole time, hand washing it in the sink when it got funky. It was cool, comfy, and dried fast when it got wet. Next time I'll bring two linen and probably no other shirts.
groggy and jwing like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to twoshoes For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-18-2017)
post #15 of 22 Old 04-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoshoes View Post
Sound advice. My most recent charter and first in BVI I brought a bunch of cotton T-shirts, a Columbia nylon/polyester "performance" shirt, and one linen, button-up, short sleeve shirt I bought in Fiji. I wore the linen shirt nearly the whole time, hand washing it in the sink when it got funky. It was cool, comfy, and dried fast when it got wet. Next time I'll bring two linen and probably no other shirts.
I know this is not politically correct, but logic may not apply when it comes to the distaff side. Unless you've done this a number of times, it may be difficult to get the females in the party to let go and chill out with the wardrobe.

It took quite a few years to get down to one duffel per person on our charters. Trying to force the issue may be counterproductive, so just go with the flow and let things evolve with your next charters.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-15-2017

We pack a truly ample amount of clothing and stuff (camera, book, phones, flip flops), for a week, in a carry on size duffle and backpack. This is for warm weather. Maybe not quite as aggressive as twoshoes, but I often find wearing the same shirt to sail two days in a row. We shower before going to dinner, so that shirt is usually good for a second round too. As for quick dry, I also have boxers made with the fabric and have washed a couple pair aboard, but that's the one item I bring the right supply. Those I prefer to change daily. :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-18-2017)
post #17 of 22 Old 04-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I know this is not politically correct, but logic may not apply when it comes to the distaff side. Unless you've done this a number of times, it may be difficult to get the females in the party to let go and chill out with the wardrobe.

It took quite a few years to get down to one duffel per person on our charters. Trying to force the issue may be counterproductive, so just go with the flow and let things evolve with your next charters.

Or invite different women.
twoshoes, Minnesail and gdr like this.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Or invite different women.
My wife wouldn't approve. Besides, chances are you would have to go through another training program.
twoshoes, Minnesail and gdr like this.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-17-2017

Late June the mosquitos are peaking, make sure the boat closes up tight and screens are sound. Go in at dusk, they get bad for an hour and then if you desire you can go back out later when they quiet down. Also keep in mind that theysneak into the boat throughout the day only to spring into action at dusk. I'll burn a piece of mosquito coil after supper and close up the boat and go for a dinghy ride. And buy a couple of electric tennis rackets. I always bring one to bed. Enjoy!

"And furthermore I do not care for the way you are running this ship".
The Following User Says Thank You to Northeric For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-18-2017)
post #20 of 22 Old 04-18-2017 Thread Starter
gdr

Thanks again to all who have offered wisdom. Someone suggested making a list, so here goes:

The Boat
  • Don't expect it to be perfect. I know my boat isn't.
  • Check out everything on the boat thoroughly. Board the night before if you can so that you have a chance to get something fixed without losing cruising time. Be sure to let the charter company know of any problems you find so they don't think that you caused them.
  • Someone suggested tasting the water to see if it's ok. I never drink water from onboard tanks (who knows what's been in them?), but maybe I should get over that phobia?
  • Insure that all tanks are full or empty as appropriate. This includes the cooking gas.
  • Make sure the batteries are fully charged.
  • Get the water hose, shore power and mooring lines if you can if you plan to stop at any marinas.
  • Choose a newer boat if you can on the theory that newer boats will have fewer problems.

Gear
  • Handheld VHF
  • Cruising Guide
  • Charts
  • Maybe a nav app on a tablet
  • Cigarette lighter plug attached to alligator clips for emergency charging

Planning
  • Don't plan to do too much. Leave time for bad weather or low wind or extended stays in places you like.
  • Pack light, but make sure you have plenty of underwear!
  • Prefer quick dry clothing.

The North Channel
  • Expect mosquitoes in late June, so be sure that you can keep them on the outside of the boat at dusk. Add electric tennis rackets to the gear list.

Additions / subtractions / clarifications always welcome.

Enjoy the day.
SecondWindNC, groggy and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.