In Search of Bareboat Wisdom - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-13-2017 Thread Starter
gdr

In Search of Bareboat Wisdom

My wife and I are doing our first bareboat charter during the last week of June. We're moderately experienced sailors, but novice bareboaters. I'm hoping that you can offer some advice - things to do and mistakes to avoid. For those interested, we're planning to cruise the North Channel of Lake Huron. Please forgive me if this is covered in another post, I tried some searches, but came up empty.

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Re: In Search of Bareboat Wisdom

Go with the expectation that somebody else's boat is just like most of ours': There is always something that is broken or on the verge of breaking. If you go with the expectation that for the money you are spending, the boat should be perfect, you will diminish your enjoyment of the trip.
SHNOOL and groggy like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwing For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Go with the expectation that somebody else's boat is just like most of ours': There is always something that is broken or on the verge of breaking. If you go with the expectation that for the money you are spending, the boat should be perfect, you will diminish your enjoyment of the trip.
Hah! Yes, it seems like something is always broken on a charter boat.

I never trust the autopilot. I'll test it under motor, and if it can hold a course while motoring for a significant period of time I *may* give it a try with the sails up.

Ovens seem to be frequently inoperable, including on my last charter. We figured out how to make biscuits on the stove top. Had one where the refrigerator didn't work, so it was essentially an icebox.

I'd bring a handheld VHF, because sometimes even the radios are spotty.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)

post #4 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

Check out everything, almost like you are buying the boat. A good check might take an hour. Check all engine fluids. Check electrical systems. On both the charters I have done in the past year, I paid extra to do early boarding on the boat the night before, to avoid a hotel stay. This proved to be helpful because we had the evening before, and about an hour in the morning, during which I was able to get very familiar with the boat.
One had a completely dry bilge, the other had constant standing water, but it didn't increase through the night, which was comforting. One boat had a fridge, the other an ice box that drained into the bilge.

Both boats did not have working anchor lights. One charter operator gave us a portable battery operated light to hang from the flag lanyard so we didn't have to delay our departure while they repaired it. The other had a light on the mast that came on when I flipped the switch that was labeled "Steaming Light" but it appeared to be a 360 degree light (mislabeled?). Nothing came on when I flipped thw switch labeled "Anchor Light".

One boat had one non-working 12 volt outlet so I had no way to charge my emergency back-up handheld VHF radio. In the future I will bring a cigarette lighter plug with alligator clips attached to charge anything in an emergency.

Taste the water in the "fresh" water tank to see if you will want to drink it or if you want to add jugs of drinking water to your grocery list. Confirm that the water, fuel and holding tanks have been filled/serviced. Be sure that the shore power has been hooked up for a while and properly so that you have fully charged batteries before you leave. (Be sure that the battery switch is set to "All" so that both you starter battery and house batteries are charged.

Check to see that you get to take the shore power cord, mooring lines and water house with the boat, if you will be visiting at any marinas.
groggy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to midwesterner For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #5 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

On our last charter the company rep said that one customer complained that their food froze in the freezer.

Expect the unexpected.

+1 on the advice to check out everything. If something is broken or amiss before you leave, point it out to the company, otherwise your credit card may be charged for it.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #6 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Check out everything, almost like you are buying the boat. A good check might take an hour. Check all engine fluids. Check electrical systems. On both the charters I have done in the past year, I paid extra to do early boarding on the boat the night before, to avoid a hotel stay. This proved to be helpful because we had the evening before, and about an hour in the morning, during which I was able to get very familiar with the boat.

This also allows for time to get any show stopping issues resolved before they delay your departure plans too badly.
fallard likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to groggy For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #7 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

There's good advice above. I've never bareboated myself but have managed a small charter fleet. The piece of advice I'd add is to take it easy on the itinerary. So many customers seemed to want to visit as many and/or as distant destinations as possible in their 3/4/7 day charters. Then if the wind was light or from the wrong direction, or they wanted to stay put on a stormy day, they'd end up having to spend the whole trip motoring from one place to the next. Leave time in your schedule to sail, even if that means drifting around for half a day at two and a half knots and not covering much distance. There's a reason you're chartering a SAILboat, right?
Minnesail and jwing like this.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to SecondWindNC For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #8 of 20 Old 04-13-2017
Rainwatcher

Check the propane.

Black Lives Matter.

Proud to live in a Sanctuary City.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jammer Six For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #9 of 20 Old 04-13-2017

My general rule is to stick with newer boats. Our first Caribbean charter was a 2 yr old boat that looked like it was 10 yrs old, with blown out sails. It couldn't go to weather to save itself. I didn't believe it was only 2 yrs old until I verified the Hull ID number!

We had a 5 yr old Moorings boat (end of Moorings service life before going to second tier, like Footloose) and it was tired. We had another major charter brand boat with refrigeration and radio issues that had us lose a day waiting for repairs.

That said, we eventually hooked up with a more reputable operation in St. Thomas and had no problems--cosmetic or otherwise-- with a 7 yr old yacht. That was the 8th time we had chartered with them and we knew we could count on a higher standard.

So, do your homework and check for reviews. Ask the charterer about the specific boat you will get, regarding age and condition. Then try to do an overnight on the boat before your charter and look everything over. Do a THOROUGH checkout and don't be rushed.

Another thought: we always buy our own cruising guide and chart(s) for the cruising grounds and plan ahead. We bring the guide and chart(s) and even bring our own handheld chart plotter with charting for the cruising grounds. That way we can minimize surprises.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)
post #10 of 20 Old 04-14-2017

You will wear fewer clothes than you might think. Bring as much quick dry stuff as you can.
jwing likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
gdr (04-14-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.