Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I know a few people that chartered there last year (I was supposed to go too but could not, shucks). If you have specific questions - post them and I will try to ask them and reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007

owenc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
I was wondering if anyone has chartered in Croatia?

thanks in advance.

Jeff
I just purchased DVD's from Paul and Sheryl Shard. They did extensive cruising on the "Dalmation Coast" and they do a wonderful job of covering information about the anchorages and the culture. I'm very pleased with my purchase. Their website: www.searoom.com/shard/dshores.html
Old 02-12-2007

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Croatia

Anyone had experience with lazywinch.com? This U.K. charter company appeared as a Sailnet pop-up.
Old 05-24-2007

Manoro is on a distinguished road
Just wanna reply to S/VNirvana about "anti American feeling" in Croatia. Don't
judge a Croatian nation for a one, or two jerks you met. No one has nothing against American or another nation in Croatia.
If you looking for a good experience, for sailing and yacht charter in Croatia, there is only one way, and the best way. Waypoint Yacht Charter Croatia, Waypoint, Boats for sale, Sailing, Rent a boat
Old 06-15-2007

PennyT is on a distinguished road
We chartered in Croatia in 2004 and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.We were happy with the charter company and didn't encounter any of the above 'conditions" by them-we were free to go anywhere and overnight where we chose.
Old 06-22-2007

EliottSailing is on a distinguished road
croatia

Croatia has incredible sailing. Main yachting (charter) bases are (from north to south) Pula, Zadar (Sukosan), Sibenik, Split area (Split, Kastela, Trogir, Kremik), Dubrovnik. Sibenik is furthest from any airport - estimate 100EURO taxi from Split - but closest to the beautiful Kornati Park. If you prefer going north but end up in Split taxi to Zadar/Sukosan is 120/150EURO one way.
Prevailing wind is north-west/sometimes east, but v.changeable - unlike the trades for example. So on the the whole one ways are better north-south, you get a lot of deals offered on south to north charters. (Land travel Split to Dubrovnik is 4.5hrs on bus which leaves hourly, c. $15/£7-8.)
Broadly, people either either cruise the north - Pula to Sibenik area - or the south - Split to Dubrovnik (treat as a broad-brush distinction you can quite happily go fro Split up to Kornati). North area is less busy and, with the park, more wild - so overall you tend to get more charter availability/deals up there (though still good deals in the south, if they fit you). The park in the north area is the Kornati national park. South there are famous islands like Hvar and Brac and just masses of coves and towns to berth in at. As tempting as it is to dock in at the ACI marinas (the main marinas around there) watch the cost, it can be quite steep for a stop-over. If you like Marinas and want to stop most nights check out the ACI marina charters themselves since, even if the boat is more, you'll get free nights at their marinas which could save you quite a lot of money.
So it goes on... lots to see and do in Croatia. I hope this isn't too rambling but that it gives a jist to the place. I would recommend seeing how your flights pan out into Croatia and whether you're likely to end up at Split, Dubrovnik or Zadar (Pula less likely) and then go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yacht Charters
Old 06-22-2007
Zingaro

mpraca is on a distinguished road
We had a group chartering 3 boats in Croatia in 2003 between Dubrovnik and Split. Half the time we had to motor but we had a couple of good days for sailing. The water is perfectly clear and warm for swimming but not in anchorages because boats discharge overboard. I would highly recommend it. Most Croations are happy to do business with tourists.
The coastal stops are beautiful and lots of historical sites. Most of the coast is otherwise deserted - the land is rocky and dry. Historically there was lot of maritime trading but no agriculture so the life was concentrated on the small port cities, where the tourism is concentrated today.
Not as crowded as Greece and better services than Turkey.
Personally I only noticed one strange habit. they seem to lock up the ugly women. But we all go there for different reasons.
_^_____
Oh salsus mare!
quantus vestri salis
est lacrima Portucalis
Old 06-23-2007

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
We've sailed in both Greece and Croatia, and slightly prefered Croatia. We sailed Croatia in early May, and it was not crowded at all. Posted once before, but here's the two-week itinerary (transliteration spelling seems quite variable):
Tucepi -> Loviste -> Lumbarda -> Okukije -> Dubrovnik (ACI Marina, stayed here one day) -> Sipansa -> Polace -> Korcula -> Trpanj -> Sucuraj -> Tycepi

Last edited by TejasSailer; 06-23-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
As you can see I am from Slovenia. Croatia is a few hours driving from my home. So, Yes I do charter in Croatia at least two or three weeks every year for quite a few years.
Before that I was camping, dinghy sailing and windsurfing there since i know for myself.
My view on sailing there lately:
Too many people are sailing there.
July and August is too crowded and winds are very low. To get a good spot for the night you must arrive early. Forget secluded coves. If you found it someone else found it too.
Better time is either may or June, but the water is cold to swim. September is perhaps the best, only the days becomes shorter. October can be great is the weather is still good.
It is absolutely not true that you need to stay in a marina. But is is true, that Croatia is trying to charge everything, so they put some mooring buoys and charge for it and that there are a lot of parks, where you have to pay just to sail there.
Best way to avoid paying and mooring fee and still be moored to shore is to moor to a private peer of some restaurant and have a nice dinner there.
Of course you can anchor for free in most places.
The Germans are not the big problem. The Checks, Pols and Russians are.
The last few years their number increased dramatically.
And as a warning; do not expect from summer captains to know the rules of the road or to have mooring light when at anchor.
But never the less - there are beautiful spots and I love to go there.
I am available for lots of detailed information, recommendations about charter companies (if you want) or more. Maybe I would even be available to guide you if you choose (I do speak Croatian language).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 07-18-2007

britnews is on a distinguished road
Sailing in Croatia

we just did 14 days in croatia with one other family. Flotilla with Sunsail. if you like old historical towns and easy sails I would recommend it. Had two days with winds of 25 knots but apart from that it was very light air. sailed out of slano and visited ston, korcula, hvar, lastovo, vela luka and dubrovnik. it was not cheap but not expensive either. most restaurants sell decent pizzas and seafood for 45-60 kuna - about $7-9. the water is clear and there are lots of great little coves to anchor in. you don't have to moor in marinas although lots of the docks are owned by restaurants. as for the anti-american claims, I don't think that's true. they are a proud people, helpful but not servile. I also heard from other sailors that the kornati islands further north are better if you like deserted coves and national parks - far less old forts and historical sites. either way, i'd recommend it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.