SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Business grant for charter startup (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/31179-business-grant-charter-startup.html)

jimi71 04-08-2007 02:36 PM

Business grant for charter startup

Business grant from the government to start a charter company?

Any thoughts?

sailingdog 04-08-2007 02:40 PM

Depends... SBA has quite a few grant programs from what I remember. Is the business minority owned?? If so, that opens up quite a few more grant sources. Might help if you clarified what you mean by a charter company?

camaraderie 04-08-2007 03:55 PM

Gee jimi....only 8 posts and so far you've gone from plans for living aboard on the big island of hawaii...buying a wooden chris craft and crossing the ocean in it and now getting and SBA loan for your charter company.
Time to go back and do your homework now...Easter break is almost over. Hope you had fun.

stoutwench 04-08-2007 04:04 PM

"Any thoughts?" Yea, here are a few.

Gee, I sure hope so. I LOVE to see the $100K+ I pay in Fed & State taxes each year go to a worthless cause.......ooopppss, I meant worthwhile cause.

Why don't you just try getting a job, working hard, and saving the money???

Sorry, but he picked the wrong time of year to ask that question!!!!

Roger

hellosailor 04-08-2007 04:09 PM

Jimi, government loan money is readily available and you can definitely qualify for it. Send me $49.95 and I'll mail you my Special Guide to Government Grants and SBA Loans for Marine Businesses by first-class mail, it will tell you everything you need to get started.

But hurry, this is a limited time offer and because of increased postage and printing costs the price cannot remain this low much longer!

sailingdog 04-08-2007 04:24 PM

Roger-

That was priceless...

Hellosailor-

You fiend... you took what I was going to write for my next post... ;)

jimi71 04-08-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie
Gee jimi....only 8 posts and so far you've gone from plans for living aboard on the big island of hawaii...buying a wooden chris craft and crossing the ocean in it and now getting and SBA loan for your charter company.
Time to go back and do your homework now...Easter break is almost over. Hope you had fun.

And all of them legitimate questions, is there a problem with that?

I'm here like many other people...asking what's on their mind.

Whats wrong with my questions? Isnt that what this forum is about?

jimi71 04-08-2007 04:36 PM

Hellosailor, stoutwench,

Very funny, but it is a legitimate question.

And to answer your question Stoutwench, I do have a job and quite a bit saved. Part of owning a business is to do it with as little money of yours as possible, why not go for a grant. Are you telling me that if you had the oppurtunity to do it, you would say, no thanks?

And the part about my taxes, I would rather see it going into small business ventures then where its being squandered right now. my 2c.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

hellosailor 04-08-2007 04:42 PM

SD, don't worry, you can still participate, Send me $19.95 and I'll show you how to MAKE BIG MONEY IN YOUR SPARE TIME ADDRESSING AND STUFFING ENVELOPES! Including the ones with government grant applications.<G>

Jimi, there's government money available for all sorts of things but honest, if you want to find a way to obtain business financing, you'd be better off calling the SBA or going to the library and borrowing the books on how to do it.

If you don't have a complete business plan ready, and you don't know the exact location, boat type, expected traffic and utilization...you won't qualify for any money from anyone except a scam artist. Making money in a charter business, if you have no experience in running one, is a real long shot. (And I'm rashly assuming you don't, or you'd know where and how to finance it already.)

jimi71 04-08-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor
If you don't have a complete business plan ready, and you don't know the exact location, boat type, expected traffic and utilization...you won't qualify for any money from anyone except a scam artist. Making money in a charter business, if you have no experience in running one, is a real long shot. (And I'm rashly assuming you don't, or you'd know where and how to finance it already.)

I understand business plans and already have owned a company (not charter). I do have experience in working for a charter though (not running one..so you are partly "rashy").

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor
, if you want to find a way to obtain business financing, you'd be better off calling the SBA or going to the library and borrowing the books on how to do it.

I plan on talking with my grant writers at my company (they deal mostly in educational grants but Im sure they can point me in some direction other than being sarcastically berated or goofed on), plus doing the research. My question here is if anyone has gone through with it for their own business. That's all.