Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007

h2ohouse is on a distinguished road
How to talk wife and friends into a sailing vacation

Any ideas how I can talk my wife and friends of ours into a sailing vaction instead of getting on one of those giant floating hotels? It would be 2 couples, one 16 yr old boy, two 15 yr old girls, and one 9 yr old boy. Likely destination is BVI.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2007

maca is on a distinguished road
Talking

maybe this will scare them off! I know for myself i'd rather be on a sailing boat in this situation!
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they don't like to sail... or have never sailed, it might be worth looking at chartering a big crewed catamaran. That way, you can participate in sailing sometime, and be passengers at others... less work, more like a vacation.

Might want to mention the recent outbreaks of disease that have plagued the cruiseline industry as well as the several accidents and people gone missing in recent months... and pitch a crewed charter as being more luxurious and private than a huge cruise ship would be...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Do you guys sail regularly?
If not, than take them sailing. Make sure its a nice gentle day with flat seas and moderate winds. Don't take them on a cold rainy windy day. Let them experience the thrill first hand.
Like the rest of us, If they have the bug, they will be hooked for the rest of their lives.
I got bored real quick on my first cruise.
Old 04-27-2007

h16Sailor is on a distinguished road
'how do you talk some one into something?'
I am a therapist and professionally, One person can never talk another person into doing something they don't want to do.

now as a limited sailor who went on a cruise over christmas.
the ONLY thing to do on the cruise ship is Drink. its so very boring.
you see the water 50 feet below you and I hated every moment of it, never going again! not even if it were free. (if you haven't guessed I not a drunk and drinking at 8am is not my thing. )

as for a sailing vacation, well its more work. Lots more work and the activity is what is relaxing for me. can't truly describe why i like sailing, lets just say "if i can't touch it, right this second, it does not exist" this liberates me and relaxes my mind.
Old 04-27-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
7 people...some unrelated and of the teenaged variety...aboard a charter boat for a week can get a bit close. Are you the only one with sailing experience that would like to do it?
I know this is heresey for me...but talking about renting a cruising CATAMARAN might ease the fears/anxietys of the others. First...there would be more room for everyone. Second it doesn't tilt. Finally...the light winds and beautiful waters of the BVI's make a Cat an ideal platform for swimming, diving and exploring.
The real benefit of a charter in the VI's compared with a cruise is that everyone will get to see unique and beautiful places that the cruise ships can't get to. You can play all day in the warm water and snorkle on reefs and in caves and enjoy beautiful beaches and little islands. All the islands are in sight of each other and navigation is easy and many people go back year after year to enjoy all the wonderful spots.
Hopefully some of the above will be useful to you in your mission!!
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

I wouldn't recommend doing this in a monohull... thought the catamaran part was pretty much a given, especially with the number of people involved—eight people—two couples plus four teeangers—are never going to fit on a chartered boat, unless it is a catamaran.

The major advantages to being on a catamaran have to do with amount of living space available and the fact that you're not living life at 20˚ tilt on passages.

Also, some of the larger cats can have a sailing dinghy, kayaks, or a windsurfer along... which would really be a tight fit on a monohull.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-27-2007

h2ohouse is on a distinguished road
Not regularly. I'm the more adventurous person. We have been out several hours at a time on Hobies and Sunfish and I've spent some time on cruisers and am currently taking lessions to obtain some ASA certifications.

I'm looking into a catamaran with a cook and skipper just to make the first trip as easy as possible for everyone else, and then once hooked, I'll bareboat.
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

Sounds like a good plan... Have fun... keep us posted.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-27-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Good Plan. My guess is, no matter what the limit on your Visa, they are not going to let you out with a sailing platform for 8 with only Hobie experience. Then again, depends on how business is I guess.