Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007

Agent_Nina is on a distinguished road
Sailing with dogs?

What do you think?

I have a (very friendly) pitt bull, and I am thinking about going on a short trip in the Ionian Sea with family (cousins and boyfriends).

How much of a problem should it be?
Has anyone tryed it before me?

Thanx,
Anna.
Old 06-14-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
We had a thread on sailing with pit bulls a while back. Most felt that pit bulls were ill suited to being on a boat. In this case, for what you call a short trip, I don't think it would be a good idea.

For one, you would need to train the dog to "do his business" as if kept indoors at all times. And if this wasn't possible, then activities would have to be built around getting the dog ashore. Also, have you checked into the applicable regulations for that area?

There is also the question of how comfortable the rest of the people would be with an animal aboard, and the chance, or more likely, the probability of some resentment over the needs of the dog, vis-a-vis what the others want to do. This, in my opinion, should be central to your decision.

Enjoy your trip, either way

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anna-

A pit bull is generally not a dog well suited to life aboard a boat. As John has pointed out, it would need to be trained to "do his business" on some spot on the boat, since twice-daily walks ashore aren't really possible.

Also, some dogs are better suited to water and boating than others. Labrador retrievers, portugese water dogs, Newfoundlands are all breeds that were designed to live and work on boats or around the water. These kinds of dogs generally do much better than pit bulls. Other breeds that can do well on-board a boat are the toy breeds, since they're small and often kept indoors, and in many cases trained to go on a mat, rather than requiring walks.

Another issue is sea-sickness. Dogs, like people, can get seasick... and it isn't pretty.

Finally, consideration of the others on the trip is a huge issue. Does everyone who is going like dogs. Many people do not like pit bulls... or are nervous around them. On a confined environment, like a small sailboat, that isn't exactly an ideal situation.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
You can't be serious...

Please tell me that this thread is a joke! Right?

I mean, the only thing better would have been: "I'm thinking of going cruising the Med with my pet tiger on our Compac 16. He's very friendly (he just loves children). He is litter box trained, and we've got one of those electric self-cleaning litterboxes. Because the boat is so small, I was thinking of powering the litterbox with one of those SolarStick thingies. Does anyone forsee any issues with this plan?..."

Please excuse me if this thread isn't meant as a joke. But check out http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...bull-dogs.html before we go down the same bumpy road.
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eherlihy-

I prefer to take Anna at face value, rather than assume she is on the same level as the dog lady with the genius bulldogs, which were really pit bulls.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Anna,

Assuming you are for real, don't take them - if you like your dogs, don't take them. I would be pretty leary about pit bulls in any country outside the US. I cannot actually beleive I am even writing this:

1) Many countries have very strict guidelines on animals that are allowed to come in, how, and when. I have seen some nice Pit bulls, but I find them tempermental and easily irritated. Smart buggers, but can be VERY nasty if provoked. Now, you are going to lock that up on a boat in close proximity with people? How does your dog respond when he/she is "off"? I bet you don't know, do you?? Yes, I know a bit about pits as my sister-in-law has a mix across the street... at least we do not think she is full blood.

2) Also, as mentioned, if the dog starts getting sick, what are you going to do? Do you even know if the dog is prone to sea-sick?

3) Where is the pup going to crap and pee?

You are better off boarding that dog or leaving her with friends/family that would take her. Taking ANY dog to sea that has not been raised on a boat (or spent significant time on one) is tantamount to disaster... not to mention a dog that has a pretty poor repuation throughout the world.

- CD

PS I am not downing your dog. I am sure she is loveable and would never bite, etc. Most of what I discussed is not because of what your dog has done or would do - it is what other dogs (of that breed, etc) have done.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-14-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
The common opinion of pit bulls is that they are dangerous - that is wrong and the opposite is in fact true - they are way loveable playful dogs - the exception is when you have some douche-bag scum sucker who sells drugs, is in a gang, or mistreats his pit bull by beating him and not feeding him regularly - they their animal instict kicks in. The pit bulls I've known are so friendly - a fact reiterated by their owners. They are also similar to dogs like German Shepards in that they are loyal to their owner\family and will attack if their owner is threatened.

Some people get seasick - some don't - I would assume the same applies to dogs. Have you taken your dog out on any day trips? I would do so to see how he does. Short trip - plan on stopping to walk him - not a big deal - otherwise, you'll have to train him and that won't happen overnight.

Are the other people paying to go? If not, tell them you'll have to stop every 8 hrs or so - chances are non-sailing types will prefer to do their business in a marina bathroom than a head, assuming you have a head on your boat. What's the worst that could happen?

Go for day trips - then a day-night-day trip - you'll know what to do after that.
Old 06-14-2007

pluscard is on a distinguished road
We took a dog out on the J/24... he didn't like it when we tacked... we about lost him over the side several times. All in all, most of the trip will be spent focusing on the dog.

And we only were out for a few hours!
Old 06-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
THERE SHOULD BE A FREKKING LAW......

CAN'T FIGURE OUT IF SMELLY ASS FIDO WILL DO GOOD ON BOAT ON YOUR OWN???????

SHOULDN'T BE OUT IN THE WATER SAILING...ENDANGERING THE LIFES OF OTHERS
Old 06-14-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Geeeeze...that's intense....do you reeeeaaallllly mean that?????
Closed Thread