SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailing with dogs?

5K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  FormerAdministrator 
#1 ·
What do you think?

I have a (very friendly) pitt bull, and I am thinking about going on a short trip in the Ionian Sea with family (cousins and boyfriends).

How much of a problem should it be?
Has anyone tryed it before me?

Thanx,
Anna.

#2 ·
We had a thread on sailing with pit bulls a while back. Most felt that pit bulls were ill suited to being on a boat. In this case, for what you call a short trip, I don't think it would be a good idea.

For one, you would need to train the dog to "do his business" as if kept indoors at all times. And if this wasn't possible, then activities would have to be built around getting the dog ashore. Also, have you checked into the applicable regulations for that area?

There is also the question of how comfortable the rest of the people would be with an animal aboard, and the chance, or more likely, the probability of some resentment over the needs of the dog, vis-a-vis what the others want to do. This, in my opinion, should be central to your decision.

Enjoy your trip, either way

#3 ·
Anna-

A pit bull is generally not a dog well suited to life aboard a boat. As John has pointed out, it would need to be trained to "do his business" on some spot on the boat, since twice-daily walks ashore aren't really possible.

Also, some dogs are better suited to water and boating than others. Labrador retrievers, portugese water dogs, Newfoundlands are all breeds that were designed to live and work on boats or around the water. These kinds of dogs generally do much better than pit bulls. Other breeds that can do well on-board a boat are the toy breeds, since they're small and often kept indoors, and in many cases trained to go on a mat, rather than requiring walks.

Another issue is sea-sickness. Dogs, like people, can get seasick... and it isn't pretty.

Finally, consideration of the others on the trip is a huge issue. Does everyone who is going like dogs. Many people do not like pit bulls... or are nervous around them. On a confined environment, like a small sailboat, that isn't exactly an ideal situation.

#4 ·
You can't be serious...

Please tell me that this thread is a joke! Right? :confused:

I mean, the only thing better would have been: "I'm thinking of going cruising the Med with my pet tiger on our Compac 16. He's very friendly (he just loves children). He is litter box trained, and we've got one of those electric self-cleaning litterboxes. Because the boat is so small, I was thinking of powering the litterbox with one of those SolarStick thingies. Does anyone forsee any issues with this plan?..."

Please excuse me if this thread isn't meant as a joke.:eek: But check out http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/29867-cruising-bull-dogs.html before we go down the same bumpy road.

#5 ·
Eherlihy-

I prefer to take Anna at face value, rather than assume she is on the same level as the dog lady with the genius bulldogs, which were really pit bulls.

#6 ·
Anna,

Assuming you are for real, don't take them - if you like your dogs, don't take them. I would be pretty leary about pit bulls in any country outside the US. I cannot actually beleive I am even writing this:

1) Many countries have very strict guidelines on animals that are allowed to come in, how, and when. I have seen some nice Pit bulls, but I find them tempermental and easily irritated. Smart buggers, but can be VERY nasty if provoked. Now, you are going to lock that up on a boat in close proximity with people? How does your dog respond when he/she is "off"? I bet you don't know, do you?? Yes, I know a bit about pits as my sister-in-law has a mix across the street... at least we do not think she is full blood.

2) Also, as mentioned, if the dog starts getting sick, what are you going to do? Do you even know if the dog is prone to sea-sick?

3) Where is the pup going to crap and pee?

You are better off boarding that dog or leaving her with friends/family that would take her. Taking ANY dog to sea that has not been raised on a boat (or spent significant time on one) is tantamount to disaster... not to mention a dog that has a pretty poor repuation throughout the world.

- CD

PS I am not downing your dog. I am sure she is loveable and would never bite, etc. Most of what I discussed is not because of what your dog has done or would do - it is what other dogs (of that breed, etc) have done.

#7 ·
The common opinion of pit bulls is that they are dangerous - that is wrong and the opposite is in fact true - they are way loveable playful dogs - the exception is when you have some douche-bag scum sucker who sells drugs, is in a gang, or mistreats his pit bull by beating him and not feeding him regularly - they their animal instict kicks in. The pit bulls I've known are so friendly - a fact reiterated by their owners. They are also similar to dogs like German Shepards in that they are loyal to their owner\family and will attack if their owner is threatened.

Some people get seasick - some don't - I would assume the same applies to dogs. Have you taken your dog out on any day trips? I would do so to see how he does. Short trip - plan on stopping to walk him - not a big deal - otherwise, you'll have to train him and that won't happen overnight.

Are the other people paying to go? If not, tell them you'll have to stop every 8 hrs or so - chances are non-sailing types will prefer to do their business in a marina bathroom than a head, assuming you have a head on your boat. What's the worst that could happen?

Go for day trips - then a day-night-day trip - you'll know what to do after that.

#11 ·
Got one of those dam things on a friends boat just down from our slip. Dog is good on shore and does not bother anyone. Had to go aboard to help owner with some wiring, dog was in cockpit and asleep. Owner told me to sneek past her and down inside, not to happy about that but went in. Started working inside with owner and the bloody thing woke up and came down those steps like wildfire. Made it to head just in time and closed door with me inside, dog was going batshit outside door. My friend could not control it and it messed up his new teak floor. He got it in a headlock and with many shouts of NO NO it would not stop. Never seen such a thing. Got dog outside after about 15 min and tied it up. Never going near any pit again, very scary, real nice pet you got there, no thanks

#12 ·
See, here's the thing. You don't go for a big dog in a small boat. You do go for a big boat with a small dog.

I have a Chiwawa Dotson mix on a 42' Schooner. The dog is small enough he doesn't get in the way, smart enough that if he's stuck in the cabin for too long he'll pee in the shower, and been on a boat long enough to not be scared of the water.

That being said, I'm still very freaked out about trying to take him on a trip that puts him off the shore for more than a day. Dogs get antsy when away from the shore for too long. Even though he lives aboard the vessel, if we're away from the dock for more than a few hours he starts looking for shore and when we get close enough he'll jump in and swim to it.

If your dog isn't a boat dog, don't put it on a boat. If you want to put it on a boat, it's a long road to getting any dog of any size comfortable with being in any size of a rocking boat that's leaning at a 20° angle. And you need to go through the steps of getting it up to speed. (Taking it on short day trips, keeping it close to the water for weeks at the very least at a time, teaching it that it knows how to swim, etc).

I could just imagine some idiot taking their pitbull for a week trip without having groomed the dog to the water. It will spend the first several hours completely freaked out, not eat, not drink, and not move. And then get irritated, sick, and hold it's pee in for the first two days before pissing all over somebody's birth and then getting sea sick and vomiting.

#14 ·
To Agent Nina - you're f__king kidding right ?

To USCG - What in heavens name is a COCKAPOO ? Sounds disgusting.

To All and Sundry - Referring back to the previous nutbag (The Bulldog Ditz) wasn't it generally agreed that the problem with BTs is that when they do hit the water they tend more to sink than swim ?

#15 ·
#17 ·
Golden Doodle
Labradoodle

#18 ·
To me its disgusting to have a dog on a boat....now. But 20 years ago we used to take our black lab out every time we went. She would slide all around, crap unexpectedly, and about every month or two we had to unclog the clumps of black hair from the bilge pump.

I wouldn't dream of it now, but we have friends that carry their dogs all the time. Every trip is centered on the "movements" of their dogs, but hey, that's their family.

If you are into your Dog by all means take it. I would have to disagree with SD about labs being more suited to the water since they are long-haired dogs. I would think a short-haired dog like a bulldog would have less environmental impact.....but as far as them needing to "do their business," that's going to be the case with any dog of course.

now Cats...that's really disgusting....

#19 ·
Pamlicotraveler said:
If you are into your Dog by all means take it. I would have to disagree with SD about labs being more suited to the water since they are long-haired dogs. I would think a short-haired dog like a bulldog would have less environmental impact.....but as far as them needing to "do their business," that's going to be the case with any dog of course.

Umm.. labradors are just so much better around water, since they can swim and generally don't get seasick... that trait has kind of been bred out of the breed... can't sit quietly in a tiny duck boat if you're going to yack your guts out. Bulldogs and bull terriers (aka pitbulls) aren't generally as at home on the water or in the water.

#20 ·
USCGRET1990 said:
cockapoo...half poodle, half cocker spaniel
peekapoo...half pekingese, half cocker spaniel
yorkiepoo...half Yorkshire Terrior, half cocker spaniel
did I forget any??
ahh, sorry, Wombat not thinking. Good looking mutt I have to say. I'd happily have one of those but methinks the name could do with some work. Cockapoo some like some kind of mutant parrot. :)

#21 ·
Pamlicotraveler said:
To me its disgusting to have a dog on a boat....now. But 20 years ago we used to take our black lab out every time we went. She would slide all around, crap unexpectedly, and about every month or two we had to unclog the clumps of black hair from the bilge pump.

I wouldn't dream of it now, but we have friends that carry their dogs all the time. Every trip is centered on the "movements" of their dogs, but hey, that's their family.

When we had out last mutt (cross Samoyed/Border Collie) she came out with us all the time but she never felt happy on a fibreglass deck compared to timber. Cat came as well. Only one of them ever got seasick (cat once) but dog did not like the rough stuff. She'd crawl up into the v-berth and just quake but you could not convince her to stay on shore, no way.

However, I would never overnight with a dog. Day passages and snugged up at night is fine if you insist on having dog on board but unless you have ten tons of kitty litter I couldn't cope with the smell of cats piss for an extended period of time.

What we've decided is to keep a pet dolphin. She looks after her own food, is clean and tidy in her habits yet is quite friendly and affectionate. Don't see much of her though . :)

#22 ·
tdw said:
When we had out last mutt (cross Samoyed/Border Collie) she came out with us all the time but she never felt happy on a fibreglass deck compared to timber. Cat came as well. Only one of them ever got seasick (cat once) but dog did not like the rough stuff. She'd crawl up into the v-berth and just quake but you could not convince her to stay on shore, no way.

However, I would never overnight with a dog. Day passages and snugged up at night is fine if you insist on having dog on board but unless you have ten tons of kitty litter I couldn't cope with the smell of cats piss for an extended period of time.

What we've decided is to keep a pet dolphin. She looks after her own food, is clean and tidy in her habits yet is quite friendly and affectionate. Don't see much of her though . :)
Taking her to the vet's office for her shots must be tough though. :D

#23 ·
Hey, just to set the record straight: I have a bulldog. A real bulldog (English Bulldog), not a pit bull. THey are as well suited to the water as they are being a guard dog - terrible. I gotta lift that fat, scardy-cat, dog on and off the boat cause she is too darned fat to do it herself. And let me tell you, they are about the strongest dog I hae ever known. If she does not want to go somewhere, she locks her legs and she ain't going!!! That includes getting on the dink!

Wonderful, wonderful dog for the family. I have owned many dogs, and been around thousands more, and I will honestly say that the consensus of bulldoges is true: They are hillarious, great family dogs, fun, and totally different than any other dog I have EVER known. However, a boat dog?? Nope. She's gonna be staying with some friends/family when we go cruising.

Thus, don't take an Englsih Bull either!

- CD

#25 ·
I have yet to figure out if they are the dumbest dogs on the planet, or the smartest dogs on the planet, making you think they are dumb. They are damned expensive too, and a VERY high theft item. Just in the last month or so, we had one of her litter mates stolen (broke into the car just to take the dog) and another bully stolen in N Dallas (broke into the house to take the dog).

Like I said, a watch-dog they aint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.