SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

kos island to Turkish coast?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chuteman 
#1 ·
We are chartering a catamaran from Kos island in September. We are actually planning to cruise the neighbouring Greek islands until Rhodos. I was wondering if it is a good idea to visit also the Turkish coast (Datca peninsula)since it is very close. Are the custom procedures difficult and time taking? Is it worth the hassle? Thanks.

#2 ·
Did a charter out of Kos in '03. If my memory serves me right, there were restrictions on taking the boat (Greek flagged) into Turkish waters. The countries still have more than a few barriers in place due to past "disagreements". You can however take tour boats / ferries from Kos to Bodrum. They depart not that far from really nice marina that houses many of the charter cos. You could go to Bodrum & then use it as a jump off to other nearby Turkish locations. Some of our crew did that & had a great time.
Ferries from Bodrum to Kos or Rhodes in Greece

#3 · (Edited)
You can surely approach the Turkish coast, anchor offshore or near a remote pier by a taverna where you have dinner and stay overnight (e.g. in Hisaronu Gulf or at Serce Limani, after the island of Symi) without calling at a port or a marina. I did it the other way round just one week ago, on a yacht that we sailed off from Gocek, Turkey, and anchored at Kastellorizon island, Greece. The harbour authorities and marinas in Turkey were keen collecting the fees (a little less than € 50 for a 45-footer), while in Greece they didn't show up at all, so the money could be spent on a delicious fish soup instead (3.8 kg of fish for six hungry sailors)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.