Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2002

davebc is on a distinguished road
beware of barefoot charters

My wife and I have yet to meet Andrew and Sylvia but if they are anything at all like their associates James and Jacqui at Horizon- /Grenada/Grenadines,(and we suspect they are), you are in for a pleasent surprise.

Dave Comden, Oregon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2002

RangerE is on a distinguished road
beware of barefoot charters

Hey N. Sethia:

What say you to Mr. Comdens post? He sounds pretty convincing and the evidence appears pretty damning.

And MaryBeth... lighten up on Maui Girl. They''ve obviously had a miserable chartering experience and can probably do without your rantings.
Old 08-10-2010

Susan908 is on a distinguished road
Barefoot Yacht ASA Sailing School Scam

I say you go Mauigirl. I am not afraid to use my real name. My husband I just returned from St. Vincent where we enrolled in the ASA six day, six night sailing school,that was to include a certified ASA instructor to receive our 101, 103 and 104 certifications. We paid our money up front, and not only did we not have the certified instructor, the 25 year old Andato boat had much of its equipment inoperable or not-functioning properly and it was not rigged appropriately for the mandatory sailing lessons. In essence, the boat was in deplorable condition as evidenced by the two break downs (broken throttle cable and broken alternator/water pump belt) at sea. Seymour Browne our local skipper who accompanied us provided absolutely no instruction, and each time we questioned proper procedure or had any questions concerning sailing, we were told to read the book. Both my husband and I took the 101 and parts A and B of the 103 certification tests for which we received no official confirmation of passing or failing. Remember, Mr. Browne informed us he was not an ASA certified instructor and the proper documentation for certification results was not provided. Furthermore, Mr. Browne informed us that Phillip Bernard would review our test scores with us upon return to Barefoot and confirm our certification was complete. This never happened, in fact, when we returned, Phillip Bernard and Seth both disappeared and would not even talk to us. When a staffer reached Phillip by phone he refused to come back to the office or even talk to us on the phone. We have tried for three days to talk to someone in Barefoot management, the last attempt was the day after we returned home and no one would talk to us when we called and our phone calls were never returned. This was a total scam. DO NOT USE BAREFOOT YACHTS FOR YOUR ASA SAILING SCHOOL CERTIFICATIONS.
Old 08-10-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ouch - that sucks susan. Thanks for the warning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-10-2010

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
S908:
Looking ahead, many schools (hopefully you have one close by) - US Sailing & ASA will certify (without taking the course) various levels if you can demonstrate proficiency on the water & pass the tests.
Yes, you have to pay for boat & instructor to perform on the water tests but based on the circumstances you might be able to get a deal from them especially during the week or just after the season is over.
Good Luck going forward.
Old 08-10-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
wow.. good heads up. Nice timing, too... I was in need of a good reminder that scum is everywhere. Buyer beware, indeed.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 09-29-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
True to there name....

They will leave you poor and Barefooted!

BAREFOOT CHARTERS ......THE COMPANY FROM HELL
Old 10-14-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
We had a good charter experience with them (which may have just been lucky). We paid for a 40' cat. A week b/f our departure, Seth called and said the owner blew out one of the transmissions. So, they put us on a newer 43' cat.

Re: ASA schools. I would find a local ASA school. Get to know those instructors. Some state-side ASA instructors also do ASA lessons in the Caribbean (on charter boats from reputable outfits).

BTW, this thread is a bit old.
Old 11-15-2010

LITTLESHIPS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LITTLESHIPS
I have a friend going though the same stuff with them right now. DaveBC and Maui girl, what were your final outcomes?
Old 11-15-2010

captainampmiser is on a distinguished road
maui girl returns to warn STAY AWAY FROM BAREFOOT CHARTERS and SETH and MARY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
They will leave you poor and Barefooted!

BAREFOOT CHARTERS ......THE COMPANY FROM HELL
They are the company from Hell...as my husband says "more dangerous SHARKS on land".
Mary and Seth reported only 1 charter to us and then stole the money! One Charter in November 2002 was discovered when I had that"little guy" on my shoulder nudge me to call BAREFOOT to see if they had a Cat available to rent.They said none were available so I knew something was up. I sent my son and husband to St Vincent the next day...Seth jaw hit the ground when he saw them and said "what are you doing here?"....Well my son replied "we would like to sail the Mauigirl" Guess what?.. she was not available she was on charter. Funny thing!!! Seth and Mary stole that money also!
Some day Karma will 'hunt them down" just not soon enough! BEWARE