Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbury View Post
...Actually, it was The Moorings that recommended that we travel counter-clockwise around Tortola due to the heavy winds...
Then why did you try clockwise by going from JVD up to Trellis?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

gharr8 is on a distinguished road
Chartering in the BVI's

My girl friend and I chartered a 34' Benetau (sp?) from Footloose. Here is a summary of our experience:

What a wonderful place to visit and charter. Fantastic. Many great islands and harbors to visit. Great sailing...!!!

Footloose is an offshoot of The Moorings chartering comp. The older Moorings boats are repainted with a yellow stripe and become part of the Footloose fleet. The boats are used and little worn but also the price is less.

The boat was fine with two exceptions:
1. Barnacles. The bottom was entirely, and I mean every square inch of bottom, including keel and rudder were covered in barnacles. Greatly decreased the sailing ability of the boat.
2. The fresh water holding tank was cracked and we quickly were out of fresh water. (Not good when the Lady is in the shower with shampoo in her hair and yells out "There's no water!!!")

We left Road Town headed south for Peter Island and Norman Island. Great places but also very popular. Headed to the west to Sopers Hole, a great little town and the only marina on the west side with docks, fuel, WATER and facilities, groceries, provisions. Up the west side to Cane Garden Bay. The Lady liked the beach there so much we stayed two days.

The mooring balls in all the harbors are a great convenience ,so there is little to worry about anchoring. We were there in August, last minute plans, so the anchorages were not crowded. I hear it can be very crowded in season.

Thanks for letting me relive the trip. That's just a small portion. Great place and I would highly recommend it.

Good winds, safe sailing
Old 01-03-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We (two adults and children ages 10 and 15) just returned from Tortola after leasing a 32' Beneteau from the Moorings during the week of December 26 through January 2, 2008. Here are my impressions from a first-time, bareboat cruiser with minimal sailing experience.
1. The Moorings were overwhelmed. Although the boat was delivered clean and in good condition, the 9:00 a.m. cruising briefer never showed-up, so the briefing was conducted by the receptionist at 9:45 a.m. She did a good job, though, but it was essentially a PowerPoint presentation.
2. The provisioning for our boat was not delivered until about 11:30 a.m., even though ordered weeks ahead of time. Many items were missing. There was no QC exercised by the Moorings. They delivered and left it to us to check that everything was there. It took until about 1:00 p.m. until we received everything.
3. Our boat briefer rushed-through the boat operations. He, too, was over whelmed. The Moorings then sent someone else to go over the boat, and we soon learned that this was his first day. He insisted that the boat's GPS was not a GPS. That all it was only an electronic map. This took another walk back to the office to request a knowledgeable person.
4. We finally left the Moorings at 3:00 p.m. and raced for the Bight at Norman Island. With the winds at 22 knots coming straight down the channel, with only the genoa up and motoring at 2500 rpm, we made it there in 1.75 hours, which was just in time to get one of the three mooring balls left at 4:45 p.m.
5. Given that this is the busiest week down there for chartering and the high Christmas winds during the week, (we heard that the previous week was just great) it was always chancy trying to find a mooring. This added to the trip's anxiety when going from place to place. You had to arrive early, but this depended on the location, number of available moorings, and the day of the week . . . especially as we approached New Years.
6. While away from the Moorings, I needed an explanation as to how to properly reef the sails. I should add that the Christmas winds down there during that week were incredible. Just about everyday they were 20 to 25 knots and the waves anywhere from 5 to 7'. The surges at night howled! In any case, when I called the Moorings from Soper's Hole for customer service, I received voicemail. It took many calls to get through to someone. When I finally did, it took a real effort to understand the guy due to his thick native accent and fast-paced of speaking. He was knowledgeable and very helpful, though.
Thanks for sharing your experience but let me get this straight, you go to one of the largest charter outfits in one of the busiest charter destinations, during the absolute busiest week they have, there was chaos, confusion, lost provisions, missing employees, and you're surprised? You weren't really, were you? (and you do realize that getting any mooring in the Bight at 4:45 any day that month qualifies as a Christmas miracle?!)

BTW given the conditions, the fact that you left the dock WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THE REEFING SYSTEM makes you a bit of a fool (sorry for the ad hominem, but think about that one will ya'?)

Sorry if this seems harsh. My first experience with the Moorings in the BVI (Jan 07) was great, but then I had done some research (here at sailnet and elsewhere) and knew I was walking into a bit of a hornet's nest.

(Also agree about the Cooper's Island moorings being rolly, but one of the prettier spots nonetheless)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 01-03-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I have chartered in the BVI about 20 times since 1982, mostly from the Moorings. I go back to the islands because they are beautiful and the people are friendly. The sailing is easy.

Quote abbreviated as an index only:
Quote:
Here are my impressions from a first-time, bareboat cruiser with minimal sailing experience.
1. The Moorings were overwhelmed.
2. The provisioning for our boat was not delivered until about 11:30 a.m.
3. Our boat briefer rushed-through the boat operations.
4. We finally left the Moorings at 3:00 p.m. and raced for the Bight
5. always chancy trying to find a mooring.
6. While away from the Moorings, I needed an explanation as to how to properly reef the sails.
7. attempted to go from Little Harbor on Jost van Dyke to Trellis
8. When you are doing a lot of motoring about, cruising seems like nothing more than a rich man's campout.
9. Be aware that the taxi situation on the islands is very expensive.
1. I haven't been down since the Sunsail / Moorings merger, but I'm surprised. This runs counter to my experience. Could you have confused an "island time" attitude with being overwhelmed?
2. That doesn't seem too bad to me. I usually fly in late afternoon and arrange to sleep aboard the boat the night before the charter "starts." Bobbies delivers provisions late afternoon and there is plenty of time to verify the order and pack things away before dinner.
3. You submitted a resume that indicated you knew what you are doing. It is up to you to ask questions about things you don't see or understand. Another benefit of sleeping aboard the night before is to have questions ready. I almost always have questions about switching water tanks on boats I haven't sailed before.
4. Okay - your choice of destination. Why start out going downwind from Roadtown when so much of the BVI is upwind? Head to Cooper, Fat Hogs Bay, or Spanish Town for the first night, depending on what time you get out of Road Harbor.
5. Yep. I do try to sail in the morning and explore and play in the afternoon. I also have a backup for every stop where I can anchor.
6. Please see number 3 above. Incidentally there are tons of good checklists for charter briefs on the Internet. Check the BVI forum on www.traveltalkonline.com .
7. Why? Not good route planning in my view. From Road Town, head up wind, do Coopers, the Baths, North Sound, Anegada, Marina Cay, then JVD, Sopers, and (if necessary) The Bight (I like the South side of Peter better).
8. Why were you motoring with such great wind?
9. No comment. Never used a taxi in the BVI except the included ride from the airport or ferry to the charter docks. You have a sailboat and a dinghy -- just about everyplace can be reached. I will have to next visit since the new location of Spaghetti Junction isn't reachable by boat and I won't miss dinner there.

I sailed a Beneteau 32 in the BVI on my honeymoon in 2001. We had a great time. It's a nice little boat. The wonderful memories have lasted much longer than the marriage!
Old 01-03-2008

roxbury is on a distinguished road
My mistake. It was the Moorings that recommended to go Clockwise . . . not counter-clockwise.
Old 01-04-2008

Roxbury - that is an odd recommendation, since they prefer their boats (and charter guests) to not take a pounding. Just last month I went from Great Harbour to Trellis and about two miles upwind of Sandy Cay, while pounding and slamming upwind against those swells but still doing hull speed (8 knots). The forces snapped the [slightly chafed] painter to my dinghy and it took me while to get the sails down and fire up the diesel in order to retrieve it [I'm alone on the boat]. By the time I had caught up to the dinghy it was pretty close to the reefs and I almost gave up trying to snag it - I ended up getting upwind of it, reversing until I was close and then putting the engine in neutral while trying to pull the heavy dinghy onto the sugar scoop and putting an old halyard line onto it.

p.s. If you grab a non-airconditioned mini-bus cab, the public kind with lots of advertising on the side, you can get a non-tourist rate of a couple of bucks to most destination. Or negotiate the price before getting in - I've gotten $5 rides from Nanny Cay to Hodges Creek that way. The only place that doesn't work is for airport runs.

Old 01-04-2008

roxbury is on a distinguished road
We thought it was odd, too, since all of our research indicated that most people travel the island loop counter-clockwise. But, this was we were told told during the briefing and on a printed handout that was provided (if I can locate it, I'll send you a copy). However, I spoke to a couple Moorings' captains, who told me that this was fine, if the winds were coming straight down the channel, which they were.

When following the recommended clockwise route, we, too, left Little Harbor to Trellis, but I turned around to head to Sopers Hole. The winds may have have been fine for well-accomplished sailors, but were too heavy for me. The waves had to be around 7' feet, and the bow on the 32.2 kept on plowing and dipping into the oncoming waves.
Old 01-04-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Roxbury--It sounds like you made the smart choice for your comfort and conditions.

Since reading the "recommended" routes I asked a few local sailors' opinions of going CCW vs. CW and most said "depends on the wind" and that it would seem odd to have a "preferred route" unless that "preference" was based on predicted winds during the charter period. One thought was that as people leaving Moorings or Nanny Cay may not be fully familiar with their vessels yet, they have more options on the south side of Tortola to "pull in" then on the the north side especially if things are not going well. Support from the charter companies can also get to the customer much quicker and stay in radio contact on the south side when there are problems.

One thing that recurs frequently on the radio is calls for missing dinghys. These aren't stolen but have come loose from charter boats while underway. To all that charter "make sure you dingy is attached and still behind you"!!!! My wife and I have picked up a couple of lost dinghys in Drakes Passge and over between Trellis Bay and Guana Island. One was recovered by the embarassed and intoxicated couple shorty after. The other was picked up the next morning on JVD from a Sunsail Rep.
Old 01-06-2008

Hypobaric is on a distinguished road
Bareboat in the BVI

I have chartered in the BVI several times but always with the Moorings or SunSail. Does anyone have any experience with Horizon or Footloose? Also, I did not know that Moorings and Sunsail were owned by the same company. That right? Thank you.
Old 01-06-2008

Moorings / Sunsail / Footloose have one parent company. The Brands are being kept as the name recognition is different between Europe and the Americas, but the operation in the BVI is now exclusively at what used to be only the Moorings operation in Road Town, Hodges Creek is no longer a Sunsail operation (but the maintenance sheds are still in use by SunSail/Moorings).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.