SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where to next? (BVI Again?)

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  alsobrsp 
#1 ·
My wife and I just (last month) completed our first charter trip.

We've done a bit of day sailing in the past, but this was our first charter trip and overnight-ing as well. We went down to the BVI for 7 days.

Needless to say, we had a wonderful time. I think that next time, I'd like to have a bigger boat (who wouldn't? ;-) but aside from that, I wouldn't change a thing.

We are planning for the next trip and the big question seems to be "Where to next?". I'm all for heading back to the BVI as I'm sure that there is plenty that we haven't seen but I also would like to see other parts of the world.

Any suggestions? Where was your first charter adventure?

thanks!

#3 ·
JD: The choices are endless but need a few more hints = your sailing preferences (short vs long hops, protected v open water) and off the boat activities (snorkeling v hiking) to help answer your question.

BVI is a very good choice & gets better the 2nd time around when you know your way around.

#4 ·
Where next?

The BVI is of course a wonderful place to charter, and it does get better with repeat trips. Having sailed there for over 35 years now, we note the continued changes and ongoing developements, which are gradually changing the character of the experience. We treasure having seen the BVI when it was less developed, and more natural. Because of that, you may want to explore areas which are still "unimproved" and have not yet been discovered by the thundering herds. I would include La Paz/ the Sea of Cortez, Belize, and the Spanish Virgins in that list of possibilities. The sailing may not be as good, and the shore life is clearly not as vibrant, but the natural beauty in all three is still dominant. Twenty years from now it will be vastly different. Grab it while you can. Modern civilization seems to be achieving it's goal of covering the world in asphalt.

#10 ·
How about St. Vincent and the Grenadines? I've heard good things about the sailing and charter services there, though I've never personally been there.
I can confirm/vouch for kwalt's recommendations of SVG... and also for some select spots further south still. Generally quieter, fewer crowds etc.

However the cost of getting there is substantially higher than more accessible areas like the BVIs

#7 ·
To Tom (JakeDog), my husband and I are currently planning our 1st charter
in the BVI (Tortola) and I was wondering which charter company you used.
We have been talking with Moorings & Sunsail. Our date is April 9th.
We had planned it to be 2 couples, but appears it will be just us,
so we are considering a captain since it will be our 1st time.
Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.
Denise

#9 ·
Dear Denise,
if I knew your plans before, especially the fact that it will be your first chartering experience, I would propose my skippering services for free.
PS: Next time you plan to charter bareboat and you need a skipper, just post well in advance at this forum section.

#11 ·
I love all the Virgin Islands.. US and British. In fact I'll be returning again in 7 days!!!!! Consider spending time on St. John USVI it had nice beaches, under water tour sites walking trails and is a short sail to Yost Van Dyke or Tortola. Now would be a great time to re-visit Norman Island (Treasure Island) as its latest owner is planning to start development and placing a significant number of up scale homes along the ridge.

ZANSHIN... being in the North Sound area... how is the sailing to Anegada... that is one place I have not yet been and want to. I'll be down Dec 12 through Feb 7.. what can I expect?

#14 ·
BVI charter

Hello neicey,
I have worked with Sunsail and TMM. Both companies do a great job. I prefer TMM because of theier base area. They have toilets,showers,and a rest.nearby. We just returned from a great week of sailing,snorkeling,hiking
and basic goofing off. It's a great place to vacation and relax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.