Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
Child friendly charters?

Looking to charter (Caribbean, Bahamas) with children next summer and wonder if anyone knows any child friendly carter companies. My boy will be 18mos., so it will probably be the wife and I with our boy. There is a small chance that another couple will join us, their child will be almost 4 yrs old.

Wondering if anyone has chartered with children this age, and how it went. Any tips would be helpfull as we prepare. so a few questions i have are:

1. We are flying out of Houston Texas and i am also wondering if any destinations would be better suited for charting with children?
2. I want to take my boy with me, however, should we leave him with family and just go, the wife and I?
3. Are there charters out there that specialize in chartering with children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2007

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
GulfCoastSkimmer,

Have you thought of a Flotilla? There would likely be other families with children, and you have lead crew that could help out if you run into problems. We've sailed on Flotillas with Moorings and Holiday Sailing, a UK company. According to the Sunsail Web site, they alos offer Flotillas. As for the advisability of sailing with young children, I don't now.
Old 12-01-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
From the sunsail.

Families
A flotilla is great fun for all the family, especially now you have your own Kidsí Activity Instructor along for the duration. They will be there to organise activities for the kids along the route and be able to advise on places to visit that the kids will love. We offer Family Flotillas in Turkey and Greece during high season.

Family Flotillas run on the following flotillas:

Turkey
Turgutreis North - NEW FLOTILLA
Turgutreis South - NEW FLOTILLA
Turgutreis 2 week - NEW FLOTILLA
Dorian

Greece
Meganissi - NEW FLOTILLA
Kalamos

Also looking for a charter with the kids around April.

Turkey and Greece are out for me.
Because of my min experience and being in unfamiliar waters I want a captain.

It may be back to Beaches(turks) for us.
Old 12-01-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
bumpty....
Old 12-01-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
GCS: I'll let others answer the children part except to say a destination like the BVI would be good given short sails & many options for beaches + other activities.
The food for thought I would offer is regards to sailing. There will be a specific amount of attention & crew help that will be necessary to sail safely no matter where you go. You also have to factor in the Dinghy which will be used everywhere you stop. So keeping a eye on a small child when on the boat (moving or not) and transferring in/out of the Dinghy has to be factored into your decision.

I have not heard of any "child friendly" charters or charter companies but you do see children on boats.
One alternative idea where children are welcomed = Sunsail Clubs. Mom & Dad can sail (smaller boats) and or enjoy their vacation with help avail for your child.
http://www.sunsail.com/clubs/destinations/colonna
http://www.sunsail.com/clubs/destina...onna/kids_club

I sailed & drove by the club during a recent charter + had a buddy who did a vacation there and said there were lots of families/kids. It's another place to scan lower rate seasons to get best deal.

Last edited by Chuteman; 12-01-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed sentence
Old 12-03-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
I looked at the flotilla stuff, it seemed like a single/party thing to me, i will look more into it. Thanks for the replies
Old 12-04-2007

LynW is on a distinguished road
Consider a beach sailing holiday?

I've found Sunsail to be very good at these, running day long creches and junior activities so you can get out on the water for as long as you like. In fact their holidays tend to be dominated by couples with young children. Of course its sailing in dinghies or smallish day sailers, returning to the same base/hotel each evening, rather than proper cruising. But its still great fun, with lots of activities laid on. I would say you will enjoy this more than a cruise with a 4 year old who is not acclimatised to sailing.

Otherwise I too would encourage you to consider flotilla sailing. It is definitely not a singles/party thing, except for certain specialized holidays. You get your own boat (assuming you are a competent sailor) and most boats will also be rented by family groups or close friends, couples. The average age is a little older than the beach holiday, but there are still likely to be other children in the flotilla with whom your child can make friends.

Last edited by LynW; 12-04-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.