Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008

82Venture22 is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys just another question.. When is the best time to go to BVI/Moorings. Less weather issues for a novice guy like me. I am thinking July, Aug, Sept,???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I would suggest spring whenever the charter company gives a price break after "high" season. Personally, I love to sail the BVIs during the months you list because most of the anchorages/moorings are nearly empty. For someone like yourself coming down, I would suggest avoiding the months you chose because of hurricane season which officially starts June 1st and ends Nov 1st. Sept is statistically the most active month for tropical storms and or hurricanes which would ruin a charter trip.
Old 02-05-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
They usually have a price break (25%) set for after the July 4th time frame.
It will show on their webpage.
Temps are up, but you get used to it.
Old 02-05-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
The prices start dropping in mid to late April, then further in June or July until mid-Dec. (I had much the same concern and spent some time plugging various dates into the website, they have a print catalog that's soooo much faster for that sort of thing... oh well) They have five price levels actually, though some levels are farther apart than others.

For us, that early summer price break in mid-April is sufficient for future charter plans. Since the plans need to be made somewhat long term (in order to co-ordinate with friends and family), the risk of disrupted plans due to tropical systems doesn't interest me (though I know the odds are slim of encountering such a disruption).

Sorry to be long-winded, but I wanted to give an idea of a thought process you might go through, not just a short answer.

[edit: was off a bit re the price breaks, July-Oct is lowest, with April-June and Nov-Dec 19 next lowest, Christmas through mid April has some relatively minor price variations. I still think that for those that have to travel (read: fly > 3 hours) to get there, the April/May time would be best. But then again, I only been there twice, so you mileage will most definitely vary!

re-edit: I think I goofed something up in the edit and I don't have the brochure/catalog/price list in front of me. Sorry, however a lot of the fun IS the tootling around on their website...]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Last edited by ReverendMike; 02-06-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: to correct the corrections
Old 02-05-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Best time to book from a price perspective is late Nov. and December. Most companies want to have their schedules filled up by mid November, and will offer discounts on unbooked weeks.

I would think that the *best* times in BVIs are March April and May...

Ed
Old 02-05-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
For a great perspective on this check out www.usual-suspects-sailing.com

This is a GREAT website documenting the process by which a guy from Canada purchased a boat for charter in the Grenadines (I think). Be prepared to spend several hours, as this is fascinating reading.

Ed
Old 02-05-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Great info on the insurance Chuck. That should be a sticky under chartering.
Old 02-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BVI Weather and Summer Prices ETC.

The sailing is fine in the BVI's during the summer months and the pricing is WAY low. It is HURRICANE SEASON!! Many of the restaurants and shops are closed for summer vacations and "low season". The beautiful green hills get burned out by the sun. The water is still lovely and the weather is not too hot with the breezes.
We charted here once in the summer to save $$...advice...pay the price in mid season (not high season) and enjoy a whole lot more.
Old 02-06-2008

82Venture22 is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone.
Old 02-29-2008

matthwh610 is on a distinguished road
Another quick thought - some companies (like the Moorings) will provide a friendly or day skipper free of charge (give them a tip) to go out with you for the first 4 hours or day sailing. This will allow you to get comfortable with the boat under the supervision of an experienced captain.