St. Thomas provisioning - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-24-2008 Thread Starter

St. Thomas provisioning

Hi everyone,

We'll be chartering from CYOA in St. Thomas this summer. They offer a deluxe provisioning package, 7 brk/lunch and 4 dinner, and then a brk/lunch-only package. Both seem expensive but convenient. They also mention a store, Pueblo, just up the street if we choose to self-provision. Any suggestions from people who've been there about which route is best? We plan to eat more on board than on shore.

They also offer a liquor/wine list and the prices look OK. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

Pueblo is fine and cheaper and you'll get only what you want to eat. Biggest problem with Pueblo is the time and the taxi ride. Note that it is more an older style super market...not a mega-store like you now find in the states. For specialty items of a gourmet nature there is a small shop in Crown Bay that many use...but it is quite expensive.
Assuming you are headed to the BVI's as well...you may just want to partial provision and pick up more stuff later

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #3 of 22 Old 02-24-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks, Camaraderie. I think we'll have extra time, so that won't bother us. Does Pueblo also carry beer, wine, and liquor?
post #4 of 22 Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

Tiger...yes...on the beer/wine...not sure about the liquor. Oh BTW...I just had a great thought for you regarding the BVI.
The ample hamper provisioning store in Roadtown and West End Tortola is a WONDERFUL store to shop in while visiting but you can also see everything they carry on line and have an order waiting for you when you arrive. Do your basics at Pueblo...but save some room for some of the AH stuff!! They DO have hard liquor. Here's the link!
http://www.amplehamper.com/

post #5 of 22 Old 02-24-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I don't think we're going that far - just puttering around St. John - but you never know, and that's also good info for the future.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2008
moderate?

Tiger...with all due respect..you are NUTS if you don't go to the BVI"S!!
There is NOTHING like the Baths and Norman Island Caves and Jost VanDyke on St. John! Do both!! You're only talking 30 miles from end to end anyway!
Have fun whatever you decide!

post #7 of 22 Old 02-24-2008 Thread Starter

We only have 5 days, but I'll look into it. I appreciate the advice and any other suggestions.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertail20 View Post
We only have 5 days, but I'll look into it. I appreciate the advice and any other suggestions.

Buy rum not coke - coke is expensive even if you drink it...

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 Old 02-27-2008

Hi! I used to live on St. Thomas & worked on the charter boats there. Gourmet Gallery is the shop at Crown Bay Marina, and they're worth the trip. They have another location at Havensight Mall, which may be more convenient to get to & both locations have a great deli. Havensight Mall is at the cruise ship dock, & just a block away from the Pueblo. Don't let the taxis overcharge you! ;-)
post #10 of 22 Old 02-27-2008
Freedom 39

I think Cam was suggesting the smaller Peublo near Crown Bay and not the one over by Havensight. From the CYOA dock(in the middle of French Town) to the Crown Bay/Sub-base area is a much quicker trip than the other direction enjoying glacial traffic speeds towards Havensight. Peublo could supply some staples but I would highly reccommend Gourmet Gallery for any fresh foods like meats, fruits, veggies etc. Their prices will be much higher but the quality will be also.

I also second Cam's suggestion to spend the extra couple of hours to get to the BVIs (don't forget clearing through customs) you will not regret it once you are there. Sailing and navigation are easy and in the summer you will have no problem with the crowds that most charters are used to. St John is nice, I frequently sail over there for day trips but whenever I plan to sail for more than a day, the BVIs are more enjoyable.

Lest I forget, Jody's advice may be more important than any other regarding provisioning. GOT RUM?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.