SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

catalina 22 for rent/charter

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
thinking about making our 22 available for chartering by the day, no captain. Charging around $200.00/day. Concerns are how to make sure no one steals the boat and or is responsible for damages once it is out. Anyone else doing something like this?

#2 ·
I would google "chartering sailboat DIY".... its possible, but concerns of insurance, CG regulations, and local ordinances (it would have to be a business which makes it a different beast)....

Now one thing you can do and forgo that is that if you have a local sailing school or sailing non-profit in the area - they will often pay at minimum moorage and maintenance if not some extra depending on demand...for having your boat in their fleet...

#3 ·
You'll need to have commercial insurance on the boat, and that is very expensive. I don't think that there will be many people who want to charter or rent a Catalina 22. You may also be required to have a USCG ticket to do this, even if you're not going aboard...

Finally, the wear and tear on your boat will be rather extensive, and probably quite a bit more than if you were sailing it for the equivalent period of time—since many who charter boats aren't the most skilled sailors I've ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.