SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   American Spirit 23 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/41968-american-spirit-23-a.html)

jpearcekbr 04-04-2008 05:23 PM

American Spirit 23

I just bought back my Spirit 23 (christian Isle). Is there any one on this forum that own a Spirit 23 or know of a discussion group of owners of these boats?

windyway 12-30-2008 11:53 PM

I have one

jpearcekbr 12-31-2008 06:41 AM

American Spirit 23

They are a good boat and I am hoping to get to sail this spring and summer. It has been a long time since I got to sail her and I am looking forward to it. Where do you sail?

windyway 12-31-2008 08:49 AM

I will sail in the Georgia Strait in the Northwest above Seattle. We need to gather Spirit owners to populate the orphan forum on here, so we can have a dedicated forum for the NA 23's. Let's chat over there.

chrondi 01-01-2009 10:01 AM

I wish everybody a Happy New Year.
BTW, is this the "Chartering" section or not?
Will you pls. move this thread to the appropriate space and not post messages wherever you feel convenient?
My wishes for more order in cyberspace for 2009!

lionshooter 07-19-2009 09:30 AM

I had one for 10 years. Used it to sail from West Palm to the Bahamas on many occasions.
I'll post on the appropriate forum so I don't get my hands slapped here :laugher

PaulSims 07-30-2009 12:43 PM

79' Na23

Just picked up this liitle boat on the MS Coast for 500$ w/ trailer. had to patch 2 little holes, but she's about ready to be back in the water. Sails, All Rigging in good shape, Interior is there, but it's 30 years old, so thats the next step.

Need a front hatch and don't want to pay some guy 300$ for it, since that's almost as much as I have in it. Anybody got one laying around? Or a rudder template?

Here's a link to some pics I have right now. Some of it on the coast and after we fixed the trailer and dragged it back home.

Paul Sims's Photos - Work in Progress.. | Facebook

TAK 07-30-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulSims (Post 509757)
Just picked up this liitle boat on the MS Coast for 500$ w/ trailer. had to patch 2 little holes, but she's about ready to be back in the water. Sails, All Rigging in good shape, Interior is there, but it's 30 years old, so thats the next step.

Need a front hatch and don't want to pay some guy 300$ for it, since that's almost as much as I have in it. Anybody got one laying around? Or a rudder template?

Here's a link to some pics I have right now. Some of it on the coast and after we fixed the trailer and dragged it back home.

Hi Paul..
Yea the hatch was weak spot.. as were the windows.. I spent many many hours thinking of a solution-Best cheap solution I came up with was to create a mold of the bottom using clay or plaster and then fiberglass and resin over the mold and then trim to fit.. I ended up selling her before Itried that approach.

lionshooter 07-30-2009 09:14 PM

The hatch was a cheap piece of plastic. I used it as a mold to build a new fiberglass hatch. But you don't have one to use as a mold. So, use cardboard and duct tape to create a hatch, then cover the mold with Saran and glass over it.
Tell me about the rudder. Is it missing? I have one in my basement. I still have the original tiller because it saved my life a time or two. I put it on every boat I have owned.

PaulSims 08-05-2009 12:43 PM

Rudder

Rudder was broken off at the pivot point. Still have the shape for the top, but the rest of it is lost on the MS coast somewhere to Katrina. I still have the entre top portion of it, just need the bottom. I made one, just to have something that would work, but it's 3/4 plywood that I glassed over and I don't like the way it looks.

As for the hatch, I'd rather have a fiberglass one fore sure, if I can get ahold of one to make a mold out of, or to buy that would be great. Anybody in the MS area?

Also, just finished the back corner. Not the prettiest thing I've ever done, but it works and it's better than a huge hole. (Last couple of pics.)