Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008

nursinadream is on a distinguished road
Southwest Florida charter

Anyone sail these waters? Charlotte Harbor, Gulf Islands, Ft Myers, Cabbage Key (Jimmy Buffet), etc. Cruising World gives the area high marks and there are several charter companies with a variety of sailboats. Hope to liveaboard someday, so we are chartering in different locations to check them out.
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Chartering in SW Florida

I read in Cruising World that Yachting Vacations was rated number 1 for 6 or 7 years in a row. I have looked at their web site and they have a large selection of boats to choose from, mono hulls and cats alike. I am new to the area and from my experience it's pretty nice especially when you get out to the barrier islands. Google earth gives the best picture of the area. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursinadream View Post
Anyone sail these waters? Charlotte Harbor, Gulf Islands, Ft Myers, Cabbage Key (Jimmy Buffet), etc. Cruising World gives the area high marks and there are several charter companies with a variety of sailboats. Hope to liveaboard someday, so we are chartering in different locations to check them out.
Deb
I sailed the west coast of Florida from Tampa Bay to Ft. Myers on vacation for many years, and loved the area. I usually found the sailing weather to be very nice around April-May. Some people are turned off by the amount of commercial activity, but I disagree. Every time you go, old restaurants have been remodeled and there are new restaurants to try, so that the area doesn't suffer from sameness. Nevertheless, there are still many isolated places to anchor and seldom-visited sandbars to explore. I always considered the Charlotte Harbor area to be the highlight of the trip, so I liked to start at Tampa Bay, cruise liesurely south to Captiva Island, and then sail back to Tampa Bay. On the return trip, I liked to stop at different places than on the trip south.
Old 08-13-2008

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
i took asa 103/104 from southwest fla charters and had an english capn as the instructor and he was EXCELLENT 9sorry about yelling but i would hire him in a minute - there were 2 of us (me and a girlfriend) and he treated us both equally and really taught us to sail - the boat was excellent and you can not beat the cruising grounds - got me prepared for my own boat
now i am a full time cruiser on a 40' jeanneau and currently in westport ct planning for the next week so to head north to the elizabeth isl (God willing) and then back to the long island sound -
you have picked a great place to cruise and i can recommend swfla yachts as a great place to charter and if you want some instruction check and see if the english guy is still there
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
on the hook westbrook, ct
Old 08-13-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Is this the place you took your lesson from?

Florida Sailing Cruising and Trawler School Learn to sail vacations, boat handling lessons on sailboats, trawlers and powerboats.
Old 08-13-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
I checked the above website it looks pretty impressive. I also looked at the boats that are available and that wasn't impressive, meager at best.
Old 08-13-2008

nursinadream is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. I will be booking a 6 day charter for November.
Deb
Old 08-13-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Deb,

The areas you listed are wonderful sailing grounds. Years ago I lived in Sarasota and we kept the boat in Boca Grande at the mouth of Charlotte Harbour. The pass can be fierce if you catch it with wind and tide running in opposite directions.

The Pine Island Sound area is fun to gunkhole around and the Gulf is great fun to go sailing in. Charlotte Harbour is big and there is plenty of water for good sailing.

There is a lot of skinny water so be sure to take along current charts and ask for some local knowledge, especially about any of the passes in that area.

A real treat is not far to the SSW - The Tortugas

Enjoy your charter........

Regards, John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Old 08-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursinadream View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I will be booking a 6 day charter for November.
Deb
Go have fun with it!!

I lived there on our boat for some time and know the area very well. Just got back from there in January (as it so happens that is where Dad's boat was at too).

Water is very shallow in many areas and the ICW around Pine Island through to Ft. Myers (called the Miserable Mile) stinks. Other than that, you will enjoy it. GO check out Sanibel Island; anchor off of Useppa Island to go over to Cabbage Key for a $10 Cheeseburger. Charolotte Harbor is nice, but you gotta watch out for the crab traps which were plentiful in January. Other attractions would be Ft. Myers Beach. You can grab a mooring ball and everything is "dinkable". I can give you stores that are easily walkable via dink if you would like. Try the Beached Whale for a little more local environment. It is on FMB. In Charolote Harbor, go spend some money at Fisherman's Wharf. You will have to anchor WAY out from it, but you can sit at the bar and watch out over the bay. It is nice. Lots of shops there too. If you want to see how the other side lives, take a short hop down to Factory Bay in Naples. Downtown Naples, such as it is, is an intersting place to visit.

You might be able to hop down to the Key West/Marathon, but that will be a lot more time sailing and less time seeing the site. The Tortugas, one of my favorite places, is 121 miles from Ft. Myers. Absolutely a wonderful place to visit, but you would be hard pressed to make in the time alotted since it is 24 hours (and an offshore passage) there and back. You cannot (or should not) go in there at night. Many shipwrecks and even more reefs.

Watch out for the bridges going through Cape Coral. All are 55. There is probably not a lot you would want to see that way anyhow.

Take the camera. You will have more dolphin shots than film/card memory. If lucky, you will even see a Manatee. We saw several in January.

PM me with any questions. Have fun!!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-19-2008

weareleaving is on a distinguished road
yachting vacations

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsailthekeys View Post
I read in Cruising World that Yachting Vacations was rated number 1 for 6 or 7 years in a row. I have looked at their web site and they have a large selection of boats to choose from, mono hulls and cats alike. I am new to the area and from my experience it's pretty nice especially when you get out to the barrier islands. Google earth gives the best picture of the area. Hope this helps.
I have friends that have chartered with these guys and they had great things to say about them. I've also seen some of the boats, and they are beautiful.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.