Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008

jrutledge33 is on a distinguished road
Seattle Charter??

Hi PNW folks!

I am going to be in Seattle for early October on business with a few extra days for fun.
I am interested in securing a charter with skipper for 4 passengers for an overnight trip.
Would anyone have insight on which charter companies I should start calling first? and open to any other ideas, to do's, recommendations, or must see items -- first trip to PNW.

(apologies if this is covered already in the depths of this forum. I have tried searching, plus fresh news/reviews are most helpful.)

Many thanks in advance,
Jeff
Atlanta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Jeff:

October can be real nice, or real cold and rainy. Of course, sailing in the "off" season brings other opportunities... When you say "Seattle" do you mean you want to leave from Seattle itself, or are you willing to travel an hour or two north by car to get to the San Juans?

Also, there are a few large classic sailing vessels around that might be able to accommodate you.

Something like this?

Alcyone Sail Training
Schooner Martha Foundation

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 08-15-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Seattle proper per say has two places, WIndworks and seattle sailing at Shilshoal marina in North seattle. If you want an evening sail on the actual seattle waterfront, there are two 70'ish' boat availible for charter.

If you go north to Bellingham or Anacortes, there are a couple of places in those city's too.

If ou pickup a recent issue of "Sailing" magazine, I am thinking the 4 major charterers in this region have adds in the back part under charter or class's availible.

I am also thinking, if you go to a local rags website 48° North - The Sailing Magazine on that site is a list of charter places too.

Marty
Old 08-15-2008

Thanks David. we are doing a conference in Seattle proper, but a car ride to a harbor is very do-able.

those are beautiful boats, and very large! we were thinking 35-40 foot. for one overnight I was thinking 2 staterooms (2 of the 4 will bunk together and then one stateroom for the skipper, the other 2 folks can do settee/dinette bunks)

thanks again,
Jeff
Old 08-15-2008

Then Marty's advice is what you want to follow. There is a button to click at the top of the 48 North website that links to their charter guide.

This is only a data point, and not a very relevant one at that, but a couple of weeks ago, I was up at Bellingham where San Juan Sailing is located. I watched what was happening on the docks as they received/prepared boats for the next week's charters.

Seemed like a classy, well-run operation to me.

I'd think it would be better to call them mid-week, instead of the weekends, when they turn the boats. They were busy!

You'd be more likely to be able to engage them in thoughtful conversation about your requirements.

One note: Interstate 5 North is a MESS on Friday afternoons/evenings. Please plan accordingly.

David

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 08-15-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If you are thinking one night, then an overnight out of seattle is probably best. Windworks is a dufour sails outlet, but has other brands availible to charter. Seattle sailing is the J-Boat dealer in town, but like Windworks, hs other brands availible.

Places to go, if you want somewhat rough, Blake island, get there by 3-4 pm on a Fri to sun, and there is a native Salmon dinner done by the Duwamish tribe in a long house, with dancing, ie native indian style after. There are some other places that are real easy from here to that go to other cites, ie Eagle harbor on Bainbridge, Bremerton and see the warships, and tour some, come north to edmonds where David and I are at, lots of stuff walking distance from here too.

For a single overnight, the San Juan island places IMHO are too far to drive. The 2 70 footers on the water front of seattle, come with a captain, not positive, but for an overnight, that might be a blast, especially if you can get Neptunes Carr, a Santa Cruz 70 that is decked out for racing fast too. Reports of mid 20knots down wind are not uncommon from crew members on good days!

marty
Old 08-15-2008

Marty is right again.

Old 08-15-2008
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
If you are chartering and want a captain, Windworks has a number of great instructors/captains available. Three in particular are Gene,Neil and Andy. Excellent sailors/instuctors and easy to get along with. Their newer boats are the nicest ones , duh. Windworks website has info on all the boats, size, age, cost, electronics, etc.

Michael
Old 08-15-2008

Tons of great info guys. Thanks again! if we get to do this, I certainly owe you a cruising log.
Old 08-15-2008

Yes, you do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.