Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008

recycle is on a distinguished road
I did St Martin, St Barts and Anguila last year on a Moorings 4000 Cat and just booked a Moorings 4300 for the BVIs for February. The St Martin area was great. The Moorings base was a dump in St. Martin but the sailing was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2008

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
moorings...

We did the Abaccos two years ago and I liked it a lot. Not very fancy, but definitely laid back and not crowded.

The service in the local restaurants at first ticked me off, but then became absolutely comical.

Not a lot of 4-5 star restaurants. There was some really neat small places that were served great food in beautiful setting. Pineapples was one near Green Turtle Cay if I remember right.

I am going to the BVI in May for 10 days. Never been before, so I am hoping it is enjoyable. Need to be in an anchorage by 2PM, is that what I understand?

DW
Old 10-17-2008
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
I am going to the BVI in May for 10 days. Never been before, so I am hoping it is enjoyable. Need to be in an anchorage by 2PM, is that what I understand?

DW
By then? Probably... just got back from a week down there and the place was virtually deserted (off season), it was very nice to not need to worry about any of that - come into mooring field at 5pm and there's one, maybe two boats there
Old 10-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Duck...May is well after peak. As long as it is not a holiday weekend, you should be able to hang out till dusk before getting a mooring. Yer gonna have an absolute blast!
Old 09-05-2010

donahuj is on a distinguished road
For me Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was by far the best. I am going back there for a second trip in October. It is far more spread out than BVI with far less boats. You get a more authentic experience which is good or bad depending on what you want, but I really appreciated it. There are less services for yachters and the sailing is a bit more advanced, but not by too much. I agree with others that Tobago Cays is one of the most beautiful locations in the world. If you go, try to arrange your trip to spend more time there. The key is to go at a less crowded time of year.

I hated Belize. The problem I had was that it rained a lot and the water is extremely shallow and with rain you can't see the bottom, so navigation was extremely tricky there and more than a pain than a fun challenge. Also, there are few mooring balls and anchoring was not great, particularly with rain, very shallow anchorages, and not super-good holding. Also, I tried to bring meat into Belize in a cooler so we had good food, and I was bribed at the border to get it in. I think I just had a bad experience in Belize, but it was my least favorite destination.

BVI of course is Disneyland for adults. It's great for a first charter or for someone who doesn't mind going back to the same beautiful, pampered, safe place with lots of conveniences for sailors everywhere.

I found St Martin a bit boring, but St Barts (part of the same trip) is beautiful. I haven't sailed Martinique or Antigua, but I'd guess they're a little similar.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2010

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Croatia's the best

I just read that Moorings has opened a base in Croatia. This is my favorite place to charter bareboat vacation, I've been 4 times. It's not tropical, but, you can't beat the Med and in particular the Dalmation Coast is heavily influenced by the Venitians. Beautiful cliff anchorages, great food, medieval cities, and island national parks. You can even cruise in fresh water to the inland waterfalls. For me, it's the BVIs of the Mediterranean. For some insights, take a look at my Croatia bareboating posts which provide mapped itineraries, pictures, and destination insights. Best to avoid August as it's the height of the European tourist season.

If the Med doesn't work for you, I found Belize a great tropical vacation but little restaurant action once you leave placencia and Baja California desert sailing with no civilization once you leave La Paz.

Finally the ultimate of all tropical vacation for me was bareboating in the Seychelles. One of the most beautiful places on earth, great snorkling, fantastic wild life, beautiful settings, and fantastic land excursions. The problem, time and cost to get half way around the world. But worth it once you get there.

Well, a quick summary of the places I've been from which moorings operates. There's a lot of detail on my blog, hope it helps.

Enjoy
Gaetano
Bareboating the World
Old 09-14-2010

sansegot is on a distinguished road
Last year I rented a boat from this agency Yacht Charter and Boat Rental in Croatia
And altough they act only as an agent they provided an excellent service and they offered a great range of boats and prices. The boat we chartered (it was a sailing boat beneteau cyclades 50.4) was in great shape and the service in the marina excellent. They also gave us many advices on the route and destinations we visited during our trip. I think you can find whatever you looking for there...

Yacht Charter and Boat Rental in Croatia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.