Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

jelman is on a distinguished road
"anyone but BVI Yacht Charters" ??

Hi,

Can you elaborate? I've seen other good postings about them and was thinking of using them this summer, so your comment worries me. Thanks.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seariders View Post
Trust me, anyone but BVI Yacht Charters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

seariders is on a distinguished road
BVI Yacht Charters...Not Good Idea!

Good Day,

My problem and a good friends very bad experience is specifically with BVI Yacht Charters "Not Horizon" due to previous rental problems. Actually I purchased a boat and no longer Charter.

BVI Yacht Charters I feel, Band-Aid there boats, abuse them and to not properly maintain them "my opinion and experience" specifically Adam... the person in charge of the marina rentals and maintenance. He has no character to admit mistakes, accept responsibility and has a major problem telling the truth. When I took my problem to the next level "Owner of BVI Yacht Charters, canít remember his name" he could not be contacted through his office. His secretary did a good job of excuses, and avoiding concerns to talk directly with Owner and has Adam call me back to hear him talk lies to me, which was an insult. I can not recommend BVI Yacht Charters to anyone... only have bad memories.

I was in Nanny Cay and saw how well Horizon took care of the boats while docked temporarily in the marina. I even met a few managers, workers and customers. From what I saw, Horizon continuously maintain, clean and respect there fleet. Customers seemed happy with service and condition of boats. Horizon won best Boat Charter last year and deserved the respect. I would recommend Horizon at Nanny Cay to anyone based on what I have seen. I have seen a lot of Moorings and Sun Sail while cruising and it seems Sun Sail has there fix-it boat busy repairing there fleet often, while under Charter. This is our personal observation.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your vacation.
Seariders
Old 03-30-2010

Seariders,

Thank you. This is helpful info and I'll take into account. Right now I'm leaning toward either TMM or Horizon. I've had friends who have used both and had good experiences. My impression of TMM is that they're a bit anal--which is good and exactly what I'd want!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seariders View Post
Good Day,

My problem and a good friends very bad experience is specifically with BVI Yacht Charters "Not Horizon" due to previous rental problems. Actually I purchased a boat and no longer Charter.

BVI Yacht Charters I feel, Band-Aid there boats, abuse them and to not properly maintain them "my opinion and experience" specifically Adam... the person in charge of the marina rentals and maintenance. He has no character to admit mistakes, accept responsibility and has a major problem telling the truth. When I took my problem to the next level "Owner of BVI Yacht Charters, canít remember his name" he could not be contacted through his office. His secretary did a good job of excuses, and avoiding concerns to talk directly with Owner and has Adam call me back to hear him talk lies to me, which was an insult. I can not recommend BVI Yacht Charters to anyone... only have bad memories.

I was in Nanny Cay and saw how well Horizon took care of the boats while docked temporarily in the marina. I even met a few managers, workers and customers. From what I saw, Horizon continuously maintain, clean and respect there fleet. Customers seemed happy with service and condition of boats. Horizon won best Boat Charter last year and deserved the respect. I would recommend Horizon at Nanny Cay to anyone based on what I have seen. I have seen a lot of Moorings and Sun Sail while cruising and it seems Sun Sail has there fix-it boat busy repairing there fleet often, while under Charter. This is our personal observation.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your vacation.
Seariders
Old 03-30-2010

wind4me is on a distinguished road
Jelman I can't go into everything that happened but in general, almost to a person the employees were simply rude. Maybe we expected too much but we were on vacation and spent a decent amount of money on the charter.....at least they could act like they wanted/appreciated our business. It was all business (after we found our own boat)....sign this, sign that, pay this, pay that, chart briefing, lousy boat briefing and we're off. Mechancial failure that took almost 24 hours to fix and no communication or offer of compensation from the charter company until after some threatening emails. That said, I did have several discussions with one of the owners and he admitted they clearly didn't put thier best foot forward on our charter. So, I'm giving them another chance because I believe in a second chance and I because leaving from Nanny Cay gives me the best opportunity to get the farthest away from Tortola my first day ! I never did understand those who fly all the way down there to hang out in Trellis Bay for example....
Old 03-30-2010

Jelman.....I've also given TMM a couple of looks and unless Horizon really knocks my socks off this Summer, I may give them a try. Again, the only negative for me is location. I like to head West my first day and it just makes it more difficult though there's a lot to be said for the peace of mind you get knowing that the boat's on a preventative maintenance program.
Old 03-30-2010

Yipes! You're more patient and forgiving than I fear I would be (but more power to you). Do you have experience with any of the other charter companies, in particular TMM or Horizon? Thanks!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind4me View Post
Jelman I can't go into everything that happened but in general, almost to a person the employees were simply rude. Maybe we expected too much but we were on vacation and spent a decent amount of money on the charter.....at least they could act like they wanted/appreciated our business. It was all business (after we found our own boat)....sign this, sign that, pay this, pay that, chart briefing, lousy boat briefing and we're off. Mechancial failure that took almost 24 hours to fix and no communication or offer of compensation from the charter company until after some threatening emails. That said, I did have several discussions with one of the owners and he admitted they clearly didn't put thier best foot forward on our charter. So, I'm giving them another chance because I believe in a second chance and I because leaving from Nanny Cay gives me the best opportunity to get the farthest away from Tortola my first day ! I never did understand those who fly all the way down there to hang out in Trellis Bay for example....
Old 03-31-2010

My experience in the BVI's has been with Horizon. I sail mostly in the Chesapeake so just being able to see what you're swimming in is welcome change for me but these charter companies are in the customer service business....plain and simple. The only way to differentiate is to offer better and more services and if you don't buy into that school of thought then you probably shouldn't be in the charter business. Like I said, I'm giving Horizon another try because I've seen other comments that were favorable so who knows........
Old 04-06-2010

chiefjohnson is on a distinguished road
I have chartered Horizon boats on two occasions & have been very pleased. In fact, I just returned from a one-way from St. Maarten to BVI on the Horizon BVI's Beneteau 523 (It's About Time). The staff at both bases are friendly and helpful.
Old 04-06-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
charter companies

we've done a bunch of charters in the bvi/usvi.
up until recently, i've used TMM at least 15 times and always great.
We did a quick, impromptu trip and TMM was booked.
I remember reading about ProValor being sold. Thought I'd ck them out.

My last 4 charters have been with Jim and Cecelia (sp)at ProValor Yacht Charters on Tortola.
They bent over backwards to make things work for us at a time when we needed all the help we could get....(medical stuff)
They try harder than the rest and i hope that you give them a "lookie see".
no vested interest....just happy to send folks along to them. They deserve it.
Happy sails,
joe

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.