Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2002

shanbill is on a distinguished road
Failed SUNSAIL Charter in BVI''''s - Strike Two!

We just returned from the BVI''s having chartered a 42'' Cat from Sunsail. We had chartered from Sunsail St. Martins and had a massive equipment failure which Sunsail was unable to repair. We lost two days of sailing as a result. We decided to give them another chance and felt comfortable doing so as they had just aquired SunYacht Charters, a well-managed outfit in Maya Cove. This time we lost a total of 3 days sailing due to multiple problems/failures of the boat''s equipment. Sunsail sent us out with the wrong size gypsy for the windlass (extremely hazardous). The starboard engine routinely failed even after the techs "fixed" the problem. Neither fuel nor water guages worked. Engine stop cable broke after the office had closed for the day and our attempts to contact the base went unanswered and we had to kill the engine with the fuel shutoff valve. To their credit, the Sunsail people in Tortola were all extremely helpful and courteous. However, Sunsail management, in response to our request to be reimbursed for our lost time, declined to compensate us. I would urge anyone considering Sunsail to look at other charter companies. Very, very frustrating and a wasted vacation! Please feel free to contact me with any questions concerning this outfit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2002

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

Pay the money and charter one of the Moorings top of the line boats. End of problem.
Old 09-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry you had problems on what is a very expensive vacation. I have friends who have worked for Sunsail and have basically been, well, screwed. These include Americans, Englanders, Swedish, and islanders. So, please know that the great people you found on Tortola are common to the great island, but have no say in what Sunsail does.

I am so happy you are saying something, and please do as the other person posting says and try Moorings. Their base on Tortola is run by an efficient group of people who always have people on hand to help with mechanical problems. I do not work for Moorings, nor did I ever, but I did deliver a lot of boats to their Moorings base and to their St. Lucia base.

I''ve even delivered boats out of commission and they have gotten me back to the states, from Tortola and from the Bahamas.

In any case, from my point of view (being around many, many charterers) everyone has been happy.

I hope your next visit to the BVI is a great one, and I hope you look into Moorings. Since it seems you can afford it, please take your vacation dollars to Tortola and get your money''s worth, worry-free.

Fair Winds,
Mary Beth
Old 09-13-2002

dpinorm is on a distinguished road

I had a less than satisfactory Sunsail charter out of Tortola. I placed two calls to their US office upon my return. Both times I was told that a manager would return my call (although one person did say it might take some time).

Well, it''s now six months later and I have yet to hear from them.

Sunsail''s management has made their position on customer satisfaction crystal clear to me.
Old 09-15-2002

plholsten is on a distinguished road

Charter from Horizon Yacht Charters...rated the "Best" with sailonline.com
They are VERY picky about their boats. We know. We are one of their boat owners.
Pat
Old 09-17-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road

I just looked at that sight and VIP is rated number one??? Must say we have a boat at VIP and are extremely happy with the way we and the guests on our boat are treated. Have not talked to one charter who has not been pleased with their experience. Things don''t always go well but it''s how you deal with it that counts.

John_/)_/)_/)
Old 10-16-2002

parrothead1957 is on a distinguished road

I chartered from Trade Wind Yachts and was VERY pleased. The staff was great, the base in Fat Hogs Bay is not as congested as Road Town, and they were very helpful with the only problem we had, bad gas in the dinghy outboard (they even compensated us for it by not charging for the diesel fuel we used). I would charter with them again in a heartbeat and they are less expensive than Moorings.
Old 10-17-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road

I have had 4 different charters with Sunsail at BVI, St. Martin, St. Vincent and never had a problem. This was 5 years ago so I guess things change. I chartered with tradewinds once because I want a specific type of boat to charter before deciding to buy. The boat worked fine put the base manager was an idiot.
Old 10-18-2002

mattf is on a distinguished road

I have chartered with Sunsail out of St Vincent, and St Martin. I got good rates, and everything on our boat(s) (we took two last year) worked. We charter the 50'' monohulls. I guess we are lucky. Both times we did find some issues on check in, but Sunsail repaired and we were off and running. Little things like one head did not seem to pump well, one dinghy needed some air...All in all, I am happy, and will continue to use them, as I get a fair discount for multiple years of charter.

MF
Old 10-29-2002

crblair is on a distinguished road

shanbill,

I used Footloose in Tortola this year (twice). Great outfit! The charter the 3 year old boats that come off-charter from Moorings and charter them for 2-3 more years. Only ding was the dinghy - the old hardshell type. They told me they''d hav3e a newe fleet of inflatables by the end of this year.

Chris Blair