Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008

mwil203434 is on a distinguished road
Bareboat in The Abacos?

Hi all,
I'm fairly new here so bear with me...
We are starting to plan a bareboat vacation for sometime in late 2009 or early2010 and were thinking the Abacos with Moorings. We've done a few trips to the BVI's and thought this might be a great different location. Has anyone ever gone through Moorings here and any insight on location, places to anchor, places to visit, best time of year to go, sailing, activities, etc, etc? My wife is on an endless quest for the perfect beach so if anyone knows of the spots to hit please let us know. Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
VERY familiar with moorings charters out of the Conch House Marina in Marsh Harbor. They are the BEST outfit in Abacos for charter. It is a GREAT area to charter in with lots of pristine and deserted beaches...a bunch of good harbors and neat settlements on the individual Cays most with moorings, the water is more beautiful than the BVI as is the coral...the land is not as it is flat and dry. Excellent USA style grocery store in Marsh so no need to provision with the charter company.
Best time to go in in the spring. I like March cause you can still snorkel and spear lobster till 4/1...but the weather is great in April and May as well. Weather is very similar to Miami so you can judge comparably.
Get a copy of Dodge Guide to Abaco for your wife for Xmas...it will keep you both busy for a while figuring out what you do not have time to see!!
Amazon.com: The Cruising Guide to Abaco, Bahamas: 2008 (Atlantic & Caribbean Pilots): Steve Dodge: Books

Last edited by camaraderie; 12-05-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2008
Capt Rich

Dzedzej is an unknown quantity at this point
While Moorings and sunsail are the biggest, there are many small ones.
Cruise Abaco - Bahamas Sailboat Charter has bare boat and day captain for about the same price.
Sea Devil Crewed Catamaran Charters has crewed charters foar bareboat prices.....
We need more people to come to the abacos....just for fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rich

Richard Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rich...agree...but I recall some not so good operators as well. (Not you!!...but i believe you know who i mean.) So...if you want to use one of the smaller companies...you might want to ask here for some references before plunking down your money Mwil.
BTW Rich...didn't realize you were on a Privilege 43. Beautiful boats. Are you still in Green Turtle? Say Hi to Brendel from Camaraderie...he did my Padi!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.