Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008

WindEnsemble is on a distinguished road
No Balls in the BVI

Looking for information on BVI anchorages that are mooring ball free. THat is, quiet, hook only places. Keeping in mind concerns for weather, swell, etc., how is the holding in the following places?

White Bay, Peter Island
Benures/Soldiers, Norman
Haulout Bay, VG
Long Bay, VG
Lee Bay, Great Cam
Anegada
Little Jost

Also, what other spots am I missing? We will spend a little time at more populated areas like Leverick, CGB, but we really like the quiet, less habited anchorages. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2008

JimM is on a distinguished road
Money Bay on the east side of Norman is supposed to be lovely -- if the weather is calm and you are not too large. This is what I have heard -- I haven't yet tried it. And if it feels a bit remote after a while (cell phones will not work there), you can walk over Normal to the Bight in a half-hour.
Old 12-23-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Off Prickly Pear island, VG, across the sound from Leverick Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The guides you buy have it right, spend the 10 bucks and get the whole list in one place.

Me, with only 5 trips down there bareboating, I prefer the peace of mind that comes with 1000 pounds of concrete. I use the mooring balls so the anchor alarm doesn't interrupt Rum and coke time.
Old 12-24-2008
Capt Rich

Dzedzej is an unknown quantity at this point
Sleep Tight

Balls let you sleep tight.....not worth a damage waiver

Rich

Richard Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil

Old 12-24-2008

I prefer to set my own anchor with sufficient scope and dive on it. I feel much safer than on a mooring ball where I don't know what condition the equipment is in. I'd rather spend the $25 on alcohol and food while ashore.

Old 12-24-2008
Capt Rich

Dzedzej is an unknown quantity at this point
Balls

Hey whatever makes you feel best...but when the water is 60-70 feet deep you will need 400+ feet of scope... does not make sense in a small harbour with other boats. Plus I have I have only had 1 ball fail iin the last 6 years..

Rich

Richard Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil

Old 12-24-2008

The only 60 foot deep anchorage in the BVI that I can think of is the bight, and there are places to anchor there closer to the shoreline and out of the way of the mooring balls. I have taken mooring balls and, after inspecting them, opted for another - and so far with no anchor failures I am statistically ahead of you (not 6 years, but about 8 months of nonstop cruising and changing location almost daily). But I think what the original poster was looking for were secluded places to spend a night, and any location with mooring balls is, by definition, not going to be secluded. With my luck, I would get a boat with a 1000 watt stereo blasting and with 2 unbalanced Air-X windgens to fill in the musical voids take the mooring ball upwind of me. Oh, I forgot to mention the cigar and BBQ smoke as well...

Old 12-24-2008

WindEnsemble is on a distinguished road
Zanshin has it right. Looking for quiet and secluded....with good holding. I usually sleep just fine on anchor. I would not take a chance if the weather, swells, etc. are predicted to be a problem. Also, I should futher qualify my anchoring conditions to say that I am looking for no more than 20 feet under the keel. I'd be surprised if a charter boat had enough chain to anchor securely in 60 feet of water anyway. Thanks for the prickly pear suggestion. Any others?

Last edited by WindEnsemble; 12-24-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
We liked the Drakes anchorage (NW part of Gorda sound).
We also liked Cam Bay on Great Camanoe.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising