Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
First timer needs advice

My wife and I are thinking of bareboating next spring either in BVI, USVI, or the Bahamas. This would be our first time doing this and want to minimize any issues. We both have been sailing most of our lives, mostly boats under 25' though. We have owned a Catalina 22 for the past 3 years on the Chesapeake Bay and sail several times a week during the season as well as do multi-day cruises as much as possible. My main concern is qualifying seeing that most companies don't offer anything less than 30'. We both feel confident in our abilities and don't want a captained vessel as this would be a "couples" vacation. So my main questions are:

1. What would be the best location for a first time bareboater taking into consideration cost, ease of navigation and moorings.

2. What location is easiest and cheapest to fly to.

3.What location is best for being able to get off your plane and on to your boat quickly.

4. Are there any companies that have boats under 30' and if not, with our experience to you see any issues with us qualifying.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mick Haensler
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2009

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
GC:
Interesting twist.......
1) BVI
2) Many looking for cheaper way to BVI - fly to St. Thomas, USVI then ferry to BVI........
3) Almost none....... some say USVI - beside the land transport, most companies want you to go thru Chart briefing, Boat briefing and then you need to provision the boat either shopping yourself or having the charter company arrange
4) I have not seen any......some will do 32 or 35'
Here's a 32' from Sunsail"
Sunsail Odyssey 32 - Sunsail

Do you have any experience with inboard engines? How do you feel about open water?
What are the type of things you and your wife like to do for activities and evening settings / activities?. ie; swim & snorkel then beach bar & restaurant ashore...........that could influence recommendation

Last edited by Chuteman; 07-13-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
GC:
Do you have any experience with inboard engines? How do you feel about open water?
What are the type of things you and your wife like to do for activities and evening settings / activities?. ie; swim & snorkel then beach bar & restaurant ashore...........that could influence recommendation
Thanks for your response. Yes I have a little experience with inboards. We both feel comfortable on open water.

We like to snorkel, explore deserted beaches, find quiet moorings that have access to a decent place to eat. We like to find out of the way places where we can get to know the locals a bit. We are both musicians and love finding indigenous street music.

Thanks for your help. Sometimes the best answers come in the form of new questions.
Old 07-14-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet, Genesis. We were also small boat sailors when we did our first charter with Sunsail. It was not an issue, we chartered a Beneteau 43, the briefing was very thorough, and although the size did take some getting used to but Sunsail had no issue at all with our experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
In the BVI about the smallest boat in the charter fleets would be the 32 and it is OK for a weeks sail for two. You will be far more comfortable in a 36 as they generally have better ventilation and handle better in most conditions.

If your going in the prime season Nov to March, then the larger boat is strongly recommend. That is when the Northern Swells are more frequent and the winds tend to be higher making smaller boats more uncomfortable than most larger boats.

Most BVI charter companies offer On-Board accommodations the night prior to departure. You will generally be uncomfortable as these locations are sheltered and you will have little if any breeze reach you. You will typically have the required Brief as previously indicated before you can take the boat out.

Flights into St. Thomas USVI are always cheaper than into Beef Island BVI and more frequent. Prices can be half the cost at St. Thomas. Spirit has $300 - $380 round trip tickets from many Easter US airports. You should attempt to arrive before 2:00 to allow yourself time to reach the ferry boats to BVI or you will be stuck in St. Thomas overnight... not my fav place.

You can charter out of USVI and several nice locations exist even if your heading to BVI for most of your stay. But if your only going for a week to 10 days it is probably better to head directly to BVI to get your boat. USVI to BVI is normally a windward pounding giving the area the UpChuck Alley name.

USVI is a better starting point if your going to be in the area longer... a month or so, then you can take your time with visits to Christmas Cove, St. John's many National Park moorings for swims and hikes then on to BVI. I will take you several weeks/ months/ years to really see the BVI. Most charter people try to see it all in a week. While it is OK to do the Circle of Tortola and visit some of the most interesting spots, you will have a better vacation for two if you are more selective and don't rush yourselves.

Decide what your interest are and then plot your course!

When are you considering going down? I'm generally in the area from December until around June.
Old 07-14-2009

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
GC:
RC has given a very good summary of chartering in the BVI / USVI area.

As to your preferences:
The BVI will provide opportunities to do all the items mentioned. The time of year does matter as it affects cost, crowds, boat availability, etc along with the ability to truly appreciate the beauty & people.......true for all vacation areas but certainly for the BVI which hosts the largest charter "fleet" in the world.
There are shoulder periods that offer great sailing conditions, less crowds and often discounts...........so carefully planning can provide a great time.

Based on your experience & comfort, St. Martin & Anguilla could be an alternative & interesting option.
Old 07-14-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Chuteman and RC's info is particularly succinct and accurate on the points. We chartered with Sunsail on a Jeaunneau 32 this past winter and had a great time.

RealityCheck mentioned this already, but staying on the boat the night before is usually cheap - $75 in our case. A hotel would have been $250 and it gives you a chance to provision. We got in on Saturday morning, dropped our gear and got possession of the boat around 3p; plenty of time to provision and load in.

As well, make sure you get an early check-out. The chart briefings are usually around 9 and you can get a 7 or 8am check-out, where they run you through the boat and check everything. If you get your check-out sorted, you can head out as soon as the chart briefing is done.

The rest of it is a cakewalk.
Old 07-14-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Except for motoring to and from the dock, there is nothing about sailing that is more difficult on a large boat then a small boat. I think the charter companies are well aware of this. All your sailing on a smaller boat is action with a quicker response to everything you do. You're larger boat experience will be just like the smaller boat, but in slower motion. I've found all the charter companies very accomodating.
Old 07-14-2009

Wow! What great responses everyone. I can't thank you enough. You have given me much food for thought and bolstered my confidence with a larger boat. Our main concern right now is cost. With everything included, a cruise in BVI or USVI might be out of our reach THIS YEAR. We might have to settle for a smaller boat in the Florida Keys. After researching, it looks like with airfare and all the extras, we can cruise for about half the price of a VI bareboat, which is substantial to us this year. We found a little company out of Marathon that has a completely refitted Balboa 27' for $800 a week. It draws 22" with board up which will allow us to gunkhole without a dinghy. The boat has good reviews and was featured in a Cruising World article a few years ago. It's not ideal but it will have to do this year.

When this economy picks up, a VI bareboat will be much more doable. Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to be a contributing member of this forum for years to come. I hope to be able to report back with a glowing post next year!!!
Old 07-14-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisCaptain View Post
1. What would be the best location for a first time bareboater taking into consideration cost, ease of navigation and moorings.

2. What location is easiest and cheapest to fly to.

3.What location is best for being able to get off your plane and on to your boat quickly.

4. Are there any companies that have boats under 30' and if not, with our experience to you see any issues with us qualifying.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mick Haensler
Mick...I will give you my opinion on your questions but first, I would suggest that you WILL have difficulty qualifying with any of the major companies. You might try to get an ASA or equivilent set of certifications for keelboat in the interim. Altenatively...you might try either qualifying for a flotilla cruise or take a captain on for 2-3 days of the trip until he certifies you as qualified. Now your questions:
1. Abacos Bahamas.
2. Abacos Bahamas
3. Abacos Bahamas
4. Not that I am aware of.

Despite the above...I would encourage you to go to the BVI's for your first cruise. It is another world. Join a flotilla and no worries! Get a mid-30's sized boat. Don't be scared...it will be easier to handle than the C22...REALLY...and you need it in those conditions!

EDIT...Just noticed that no one else has the Abacos...most are probably not even aware of them. Moorings has a base in Marsh Harbor there & they are EASIER than the BVI or USVI...40 minutes from Miami or Lauderdale and you can be on your boat in a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. The water and the reefs are BETTER than the BVI's but the land is flat and unattractive and it is not open water sailing. I did a rather extensive thread on them here. Those of you who have done the BVI's already might wanna take a look!

Last edited by camaraderie; 07-14-2009 at 10:12 PM.