Where is the best snorkeling, deserted beaches and fun resaurants - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009

ScituateMan is on a distinguished road
Where is the best snorkeling, deserted beaches and fun resaurants

I am planning a bare boat charter in the Caribbean around April 2010. I have chartered in the BVI in the past but I am considerring other places.

Here are our favorite things on a charter...

-good breeze
-good snorkeling
-occasional desserted beach
-fun pub like restaurants (places not too expensive, outside, booze and reasonable food prices)

So far I am considering the BVI (though I am worried about the lack of desserted or almost desserted beaches), Abacos and Belize.

Any one have some oppinions or can suggest some where else?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For breeze, snorkeling and the beaches it's pretty hard to beat St Vincent and the Grenadines. Tobago Cays in particular is spectacular although there's not much (read no) shelter from the breezes overnight. Bequiea offers beaches and restaurants and plenty of charm. Carriacou, just south of SVG is a really laid back, non-touristy delightful place with lots to offer (taking a local bus ride across the island is a must-do experience)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-20-2009

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
I second Faster; however if you want to play is safe just go to the BVI's (I like to keep SVG as pristine as possible). While in the BVI's you can also visit St. John; lots of deserted bays on the NE side. There is a small problem clearing in from BVI to USVI (we took the ferry a day before we cleared).
Old 07-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Some of the best snorkeling in the world is off of Great Guana Cay in the Abacos.
World famous Nippers is also worth the trip. Nippers Beach Bar and Grill! Located on Great Guana Cay.
Sailing on the Abaco Sea is fantastic. Not sure about deserted Islands.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
For breeze, snorkeling and the beaches it's pretty hard to beat St Vincent and the Grenadines. Tobago Cays in particular is spectacular although there's not much (read no) shelter from the breezes overnight. Bequiea offers beaches and restaurants and plenty of charm. Carriacou, just south of SVG is a really laid back, non-touristy delightful place with lots to offer (taking a local bus ride across the island is a must-do experience)

Faster, you got me curious about St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I've looked into a bit and it sounds great! What was your experience with the water to the south of St. Vincent? I have kind of a green crew and I am worried it might be very swelly.
Old 07-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's true that some of the passages (the Bequea channel, for instance) can be quite swelly.. but for the most part it's free sailing and quite exhilarating. If the trades bend and you're heading north then you may end up close hauled or nearly so, then it can get a bit uncomfortable (depending on the boat, of course)

But amongst the islands and the Tobago cays is quite a lot better, and you can usually duck behind a reef or an island for the night.

Sometimes the wind accelerates around the ends of the Islands too, so be prepared for that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-27-2009
Lookin' for an excuse ...

TLombardi is on a distinguished road
I think everything you are looking for is in the BVI's. Most of the sailing is in protected waters and easy to do sight navigation. There is almost always a good sailing breeze.

Anegada and Loblolly Bay have spectacular snorkeling. When I was there a month ago there was no one on the beach at Loblolly Bay.

If you are looking for fun bars, you can’t beat the Soggy Dollar on White Bay, Jost Van Dyke. Foxy’s is great, also. There are probably a hundred more sailors on this board who can cite their favorite beach bar in the BVI’s. Unlike years ago, nearly every anchorage now has a beach bar.

I’ve spent several nights on different trips in Lee Bay with no one else in the bay. Stay away from the mooring fields and you will find minimally populated anchorages.

Last edited by TLombardi; 07-27-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2009

TLombardi, thank you for that information.