Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009

jimmytc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
After thinking it over and over and over and looking at an insane number of boats...we've reluctantly decided to put off the purchase of a coastal boat for a few years and go the charter route instead. It just makes more sense for us right now - and gives us the freedom to go to some crazy beautiful places, pick up a pimpin' ride and have some fun without all the ongoing overhead and work. In the mean time, we'll enjoy our C27 in our little lake and keep improving our mad sailing skillz.

So, as I now start to plow through the charter threads - I'd love to get some opinions from those who've done it...

What are the best and worst things about chartering?

I can already see comparisons of companies, locales, etc. And I've seen some interesting tips on packing and provisioning - but what about larger issues?

What should a chartering newb be prepared for that may not be obvious to the average moron like me?
I like your plan.
Charter from Island Cruising in Sidney BC and you have NO worries!
Read the fine print and go get'er!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2009
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Chall - have fun in Italy....you lucky bastard.

Tomaz - thanks for the perspective. I shall NEVER own a boat and just charter! Fresh linen and towels? Yeah baby!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm feeling better and better about this decision by the minute. And, apart from the love factor, I'm not hearing a lot of downside to this.

Not many downsides, smack. I just have my boat for heavy drinking, and wild boat sex! It's the best! We can't afford to charter every week or two...
Old 08-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. RTB - you are THE MAN!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-17-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Smack,
I can't help you out much here. I've never chartered a boat in my life. We bought the boat we cruised on after living aboard and making payments for eight years on a much larger boat that we never took anywhere.

After settling down on land again, the boat doesn't get used much at all anymore. Just about the only things that I can say are in proper working order are the rigging and the aux. And sometimes I wonder about the aux.
The stove, fridge, and all the stuff that is required when one lives aboard have pretty much gone by the board.
But that's OK cause about all the sailing I get to do anymore is day-sailing.
And the boat is paid off, so it's no big deal. I figure that I can spend a few months getting her cruise ready if and when I am able to cast off these millstones someday.

So bottom line, I'd say that your plan of chartering instead of buying is a pretty good one. If I didn't already have a boat now, I certainly wouldn't buy one. I know too many people that don't mind me stowing away once in awhile and there are always the deliveries.

But on the other hand. One of these days, When I'm sailing west out of the Pass-a-Grille channel with a cooler full of beer and sandwiches, a couple of cigars and nothing in front of me except water as far as I can see. I just may keep going.
Ya can't do that in a charter.
Old 09-22-2009

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
It might be a bit late to respond here, but, I've taken the same route even further in that I charter locally here in the SF bay rather than own any boat. This has afforded me the opportunity to bareboat in the Med - Croatia and Greece multiple times, the Seychelles, and Baja. I've also crashed with some cruiser friends in the Bahamas, Belize, Sardinia, and Corsica.

Now, I've finally got around to putting all this experience into a site/blog. check out my bareboating advice posts for some of my insights and trip overviews. But, here's what comes to mind right now:
- decide the blend of sea vs land you'd like to experience. We happen to max our time at sea and don't mind cooking on board,
- take weather seriously like crusiers do. It's saved our butts a few times.
- and make sure that the water tanks are filled before leaving. There's nothing worse than finding out the first night that you have to go to port to refill even before the vacation begins.

OK, there's a lot more, but, generally, the boats are in great shape and the companies try hard to make sure you have a great time.

Enjoy
Gaetano
bareboatingtheworld
Old 09-22-2009
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
Smack,

Make sure you don't charter with these folks ! They were cheap, sure...and it was a shallow draft so I could get into all those nice anchorages....But man....it handled like a pig, especially to wind !!

Old 09-22-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
But on the other hand. One of these days, When I'm sailing west out of the Pass-a-Grille channel with a cooler full of beer and sandwiches, a couple of cigars and nothing in front of me except water as far as I can see. I just may keep going.
Ya can't do that in a charter.
Knot - thanks for the response. That makes me feel much better. And, technically, I actually COULD keep going with a charter. It just might be less pleasant after the stogies, brewskies, and hogies run out.

Gaetano - thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at your blog.

Sean - can't see the pic. And I don't wanna sail no stinkin' pig! What was the boat?

Overall - I'm feeling good about this. We'll be doing our ASA combo in a couple of months. I'll make sure to bore everyone with that adventure in excruciating detail. Then...it's off to BVI to wreck some pigs!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-23-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Not many downsides, smack. I just have my boat for heavy drinking, and wild boat sex! It's the best! We can't afford to charter every week or two...
Now those are the reasons i bought a boat! snicker...

Actually, stress relief..
I like to go out and tinker around with something stupid on my boat or just sit at dock and watch the sunset from the cockpit. A few dock buddys see the lights on and walk over with a bottle and we sit in deck, rock with the waves and have a few drinks..
A great place to hide from the world even if i do not want to leave the bay..

I can not put a price on these few things. But they make my life worth living..
Old 10-27-2009
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
This was a very informative read and thanks to all who put in their thoughts. I like the idea of having a day sailer/weekender close by and then chartering for the true vacations. Currently a boat club member so I guess I will be technically chartering both for a while but hey, what's the harm in that?