SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Another First Time BVI Charter

12K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  FarCry 
#1 ·
Planning my first BVI bareboat charter for Feb 2010 and in the process of selecting a company. I've narrowed the list to the following and would appreciate any input.

I'll be sailing 'shorthanded' with my girlfriend and want a provisioned 35' to 40' monohull.

Please comment yes or no on these companies and add any to the list I should consider. I've eliminated companys with fleets less than 20 boats betting I'll have less problems with a boat not being ready.

Here's the list: (in no particular order)

BVI Yacht Charters
Conch Charters
CSY Charters
Footloose
Horizon
Moorings
Sunsail
TMM

Feel free to pontificate at lengh as to the basis of your yes/no vote!

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Numerous CYOA Charter Issues

We just returned from sailing the BVI's and based our cat charter out of USVI from CYOA. We will NEVER charter from them again. I've sailed for 50 years on hundreds of boats - owned boats, raced boats and chartered boats. There is no way this boat should have been let out for charter in this condition. We experienced one issue after another including a broken stanchion and a rusty safety pin attached to the shackle for the dingy lift harness (see photos). We were told by one of the CYOA crew (who appeared drunk) that the boat transmission was leaking, but they had topped off the fluid and thought we would be ok for our trip. CYOA did fix the stanchion and transmission before we sailed (delaying our trip), but only after we insisted. In my opinion, they were willing to send the boat out with numerous known problems.
Deficiencies found on the boat were: 1) Boat was filthy. 2) VHF radio needed for emergencies, etc. was inside the salon - unreachable from the helm. 3) Ports and hatches lacked gaskets - so they leaked on bunks and down walls. 4) No emergency steering system. 5) Heads were not properly functional - stunk and fluid leaked back into the bowl due to malfunctioning joker valves. 6) Shower sumps did not function properly - liquid would run back onto the floor of the head. 7) Starboard engine starter would often malfunction and only start after the port engine ran for a while, creating additional battery charge. 8) Fuel gauge did not work. 9) Port engine alternator was loose, not charging and could not be tightened because the tool kit provided was inadequate. 10) 110 electrical panel main circuit breaker annunciator light did not function. 11) No water hose for water refill or cleaning the boat. 12) Equipment such as the snap shackle on the dingy harness for lifting into the davits was broken and improperly repaired with a safety pin. 13) Three large bolt-ends securing the rigging intruded through the cabin roof in the walk-way - left uncapped and gouged passengers if they didn't duck. And honestly - this list isn't complete!!
When CYOA was confronted with the many items we discovered before taking the boat out, they did not apologize, and Nancy - who seemed to be in charge of the office - tried to excuse it by saying this was an older boat. They had a crew fix the obvious items we had pointed out, but made no effort to thoroughly go through the boat and make sure it was ready for charter and made no effort to advise us about the many other things we discovered upon using the boat. They offered us no substitute boat and made no offer to adjust the charter costs for the delay, problems and inconvenience. Though some employees were superb, Nancy and CYOA certainly left us with the feeling they were more interested in money than in good service, safety and good customer relations.:mad:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.