Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009

straaj04 is on a distinguished road
Charters in the abacos or florida keys

anyone know of a good, reasonably priced charter service in the sea of abaco or the florida keys? id like to take my girlfriend out for a week next summer or the summer after and get some more hands on experience,
Old 09-06-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I believe Florida Yacht Charters offers boats in both locations. Moorings also has a base in Marsh Harbour.

Personally, I'd opt for the Abacos over the Keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2009

sab30 is on a distinguished road
I took my wife out for a week for our anniversary and used Florida Yacht Charters in Miami Beach...service was very good....our boat was a little tired (but that was expected) Very good location for access to the keys either out in the Hawk Channel or the initial portion through the ICW.

Any questions let me know....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 09-06-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
I have also use Florida Yacht Charter with good results.

A few years ago I was going to use them again... until I found out I could do 10 days rather than 7 for a similar boat in the British Virgin Islands... including air fare for Less than the cost of doing the Keys charter. I would have had about a $300 fuel bill to get to and back from the keys and lost 2 days work.

Since then I chartered out of BVI several times prior to buying a boat which I now keep in the BVI. BVI has far superior sailing to either of the locations your considering but you should have some nominal training which is also available from several schools where you can charter and learn while in the BVI or USVI.
Old 09-06-2009

straaj04 is on a distinguished road
what company did you use in the BVI for that similar price? if that included airfare, i am definatly interested.
Old 09-06-2009

sailtimeci is on a distinguished road
Abacos Charters

The Moorings and SunSail each share a base at Marsh Harbor in the Abacos. We used them for our annual Spring flotilla this past June and had a great time. Here is our trip report Catamaran Sailing in the Sea of Abaco, Bahamas - Trip Report - - We also do a trip every year to the BVI and have had wonderful service from BVI Yacht Charters after growing weary of the huge charter factory there that the big boys run.
Old 09-07-2009

JDLG is on a distinguished road
back in 2006 my wife and I chartered out of the abacos using the moorings, it was our first time chartering and we used a beneteau 34. we had a blast, the area is great for sailing, beautiful, and the people there are cool. the boat was like new and we used the their provisioning, now i would provision my own boat but it was nice not to worry about it then.
Old 09-11-2009

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Thinking of Bahama charter this year. Just starting to look. Prefer catamarans. Not really interested in Moorings/Sunsail kind of operation. Smaller bareboat company would be great. thnx.
Old 09-12-2009
Capt Rich

Dzedzej is an unknown quantity at this point
Abaco Charters

I lived and ran a charter company in the Abacos for five years. I will not bad mouth anyone online, but you might want to stay with Moorings, Sunsail or Florida Yacht Charters. Below is a link to the Abaco Community Message Board. Go to site and search charters, you will find several good and bad stories. Whatever you do try to pay with a credit card or thru Paypal, that way if something goes wrong you have some recourse.
Happy sailing

Rich

Abaco Message Board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rich

Richard Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.