Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, grab your ladies for this follow up question.....

Where in the BVI is the best (ie, most romantic from the ladies perspective) anchorage/location to propose....you know, ask her to marry me. Yep, that's the plan, castoff single, finish the trip engaged. (She loves saltwater, sailing and sand......what can I say, oh yeah, and me)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
You sure you want to do this?

If your mind's made up go to Marina Cay. Pick up a mooring. Go ashore and walk up to the top of the Cay, there's a little lounge/bar there but the bar is only open at certain hours, around sundown if my memory serves me right. Go up there when it's closed. You'll have the place to yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2009
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Hike to the Top of Gorda Peak on Virgin Gorda OR go to Sandy Cay.

Last edited by Yamsailor; 11-06-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
I would encourage you to figure out where you are going as you do it. I have sailed in the BVI 3 times and never knew where I would end up when I woke up in the morning. I like to get underway pretty early and sometime after lunch think about what anchorages we are near. Last time we were there for 8 days and did 3 laps of Tortola but kept the route pretty different each time and spent some time in US waters. The distances are not that great and any anchorage is an easy days sail from any other unless you include Anegada.

The reason that they generally suggest a counterclockwise trip is that it is generally less rough. When you are sailing up the east side, it is more protected(unless you are outside of the islands) and you are on the wind, then you turn and run off before it down the west side.

Something to keep in mind about looking at anchorages is that the wind blows all night down there. The anchors that the charter companies provide are shockingly small and it can be quite windy during certain times (they refer to the christmas winds for a reason). I much prefer to hang to a hook rather than be on a mooring but on the windy nights, I headed for a mooring so that I could sleep better.

Another cool place to explore besides the ones mentioned above is Norman's.

Last edited by klem; 11-05-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2009

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Malyea: On the far northwest corner of North Sound there is a resort no longer functioning. On the western end of that island is a short path over to a small bay, appropriately called honeymoon bay. Tiny bay. Lots of sand. Fun snorkling. A couple of thatched shelters to keep the sun off. Fun place to watch the late comers make the approach into North Sound. One of the many appropriate places to "pop the question".
At the risk of sounding like I am preaching, if this is to be the time and place you pop the question, please tome down your plans. As Klem so aptly points out, figure out where you are going as you go. But LET YOUR INTENDED FIGURE OUT where you are going.
For sure, if your intended says yes, go to Foxy's the very nest night. Quietyly get next to Foxy, and tell him the good news. Gossip with him a little bit, and include you fiance in that part of the conversation. Then listen carefully as he sings. Foxy often serenades romantic couples with personallised ballads.
Old 11-07-2009
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Outstanding insights and inputs! Thanks to all!
Old 11-09-2009
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post

Most relaxing vacation I have ever experienced.
Absolutely!

We're going back for our second charter in the BVI and this is our itinerary:

Sunsail Base
Marina Cay
North Sound-Virgin Gorda (Stop @ the Baths enroute)
The Bight - Norman Island (Indians & Caves for great snorkling)
Cane Garden Bay (Jost van Dyke & Sandy Spit en route)
Trellis Bay (Monkey Point en route)
Sunsail Base

The longest leg is from North Sound to Norman Island but it's an easy sail, especially when you stop for lunch at the Indians (the quantity of fish was amazing). We sailed a similar itinerary the last time and it afforded all aboard sufficient sailing time and and relaxation/water sports time.
Old 11-09-2009
Landlocked Sailor

ttam is on a distinguished road
Romance in the BVI!

Sandy Kay for breakfast. Get there early, it's beautiful, and secluded!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One par
ticular harbor...

Not my boat. But it is my picture.
Old 12-01-2009

schwalbe is on a distinguished road
Just got back from 19 day charter in the BVI and had a thoroughly good time. Snorkeling was a high priority and we found very good snorkeling (best at Indians and Treasure Point).
One thing that was very disappointing was the snorkeling in Loblolly bay on Anegada. I don't know what has happened to the reef there but it is depressing and certainly was not worth the trip to the bay.
Old 01-30-2010

CaptnAl is on a distinguished road
We just came back from our BVI charter last week, and had a great time! Road Harbor is getting more and more large cruise ships coming in, so avoiding them is the best crowd control. They fill the open air taxis with the tourists and drive over to Cane Garden Bay, and the beach fills up. Otherwise, no crowds at all there. Anchoring overnight was without swells at CGB, although that is hit or miss. Try a website "windguru" and find the BVI forecast, as it gives wind speed, direction as well as wave height and directions. No "Christmas winds" this trip down, either.
Didn't do Anagada this time around, but for crowd control there, check with the SunSail and Moorings to learn when their flotillas are going there (usually on Wednesdays). The distances just aren't all that great, so we went from Road Town to Cooper Island, Bitter End, Yost Little Harbor, Norman Island, Peter Island, Cane Garden Bay, Road Town for our overnights.
Just get on Island Time quickly when you arrive, and have fun!