Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
The Beach at Cane Garden Bay is my favorite. When there are no crowds it's perfect! Dinner at Myettes is always good, and they make great pain killers.
Might be a good spot for a proposal?? The dinghy dock leaves a little to be desired..

Itinery....it's still winter so the days are short...you get about 12 hours of daylight, so don't waste them...slip your mooring by 7 am...and get to a morning stop....then try to get on your evening spot by no later than 2 pm.

There are easy hikes to the top of most island peaks...Norman, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda all have excellent walks to the top with great views.

I go around the island in the usual direction...but have made norman island my last stop...sailing there from Jost Van dyke, or Cane garden bay a side trip to sophers hole...after the circumnavigation.....then it's just an easy trip back to tortola in the morning...to drop the boat off.

I must be lucky or crazy, I've been in an out of Anagada twice in the dark..
What reefs???? lol....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2010

CaptnAl is on a distinguished road
Some updates re other postings in this thread:
Marina Cay has gotten a new neighbor, as Scrub Island to the immediate north is now home to an upscale hotel and marina, still being constructed. It looks like a small city, all cement color against the hill, so not in keeping with the expected BVI views, IMHO.

The island to the west of North Sound with the closed restaurant has been bought by Richard Branson, of Virgin airline fame, who also owns Necker Island, and so access to Honeymoon Bay may still be limited. The hike there is not for the faint of heart, in any event, which is also true of the Norman Island hike. No climb available on Cooper Island. Peter Island has a mostly paved road to the top, where the sunset views are great. Still a steep climb, but no loose rocks, cacti, hermit crabs, etc. on the path.

Myett's on Cane Garden Bay is the most upscale of the beach restaurants there, and has a nice table set toward the back for great privacy. Quito's has good food, but loud music, even when the host is singing solo. Great local food at Elm Beach Suites shoreside restaurant, too.

The Methodist church at CGB is just a short walk up the road has services at 9 AM Island Time, and is very welcoming to visitors. Great singing, too, as Quito is also in the congregation! If in RoadTown on a Sunday, try the Catholic Church close to Village Cay Marina on the main road. Same welcoming spirit, and a great way to appreciate the beauty of the BVI people, not just the landscapes.
Old 01-31-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
We're just days away now and can't wait! Fast Ferry to RT noon Sun, Feb7th for the evening start and castoff ASAP Mon am - lunch stop at Baths then North Sound VG first night. Off to Anegada on am day 2 for lobster and pink flamingos (we're birders). Day 3 a nice offshore run/reach to JVD and then poke around the islands day 4, 5, 6 - already hate the thought of coming home!
Thanks to all - hope she says 'yes'
Old 02-01-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Anegada

the first few times into Anegada we hit loblolly. then we discovered Flash of Beauty. Never looked back. Secluded. Agressive snorkeling with a small sailboat wreck lying in 2 parts the hull and the deck, swim thru coral formations and lots of sea life. It is active with a lot of current. NOT for the sometimes swimmer. As you arrive on the beach, you'll walk past the beach bar, hit the beach, drop your gear, spend "chill" time, and then walk to the right to the point. That is where i'd pop the question.
Please be careful with the snorkeling.
As you head to Anegada you'll not see the island for a while, then telephone poles and sailboat masts will start to appear. As the island mass appears,
divide the island in 3rds and head towards the left third of the island. Lots of places on line have gps #'s for the buoys marking the way in. Here's one link to info/navigation:
Navigating to Anegada

Cooper Island is a good first/last stop. Its a short sail back to your base. the snorkeling is nice and if you're a diver some of the best diving spots on the other side of the island. There is a dive shop on island or you can set up a rendezvous dive with other shops.

On St John, Uncle Joe's ribs, 340 693 8806 is out door dining with the best casual food going.I'd suggest calling to make sure you get your order in as they run out of food. Ribs, chicken and the combo. Combo's good for starters then figure it out. I'm ribs solo with cole slaw, mac salad, or corn for sides. Around the corner is Hercules for great local Saltfish, beef or chicken Pates, Johnny cakes, local soups. It doesnt look like much but he's been there since my first stop in 1989.

The first pic shows the Jollly Roger in Sopers Hole (west end on Tortola) its a great spot for sunset dining. Nice food. Reservation suggested.
Second pic is sunrise at Marina Cay. Nice stop.
Third pic is Diamond Cay, Foxy's taboo. You'll find the "bubbler" on this part of the island. Nice walk to an active whirlpool.
Fourth pic is from The Last Resort/Trellis Bay on Beef Island. Good food, good fun. If you hit Marina Cay on the way out, hit Trellis on the way back.
Enjoy and congrats!

PM if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
We're just days away now and can't wait! Fast Ferry to RT noon Sun, Feb7th for the evening start and castoff ASAP Mon am - lunch stop at Baths then North Sound VG first night. Off to Anegada on am day 2 for lobster and pink flamingos (we're birders). Day 3 a nice offshore run/reach to JVD and then poke around the islands day 4, 5, 6 - already hate the thought of coming home!
Thanks to all - hope she says 'yes'
Attached Thumbnails
BVI Itinerary?-img_0488.jpg   BVI Itinerary?-p1010461.jpg   BVI Itinerary?-img_0483.jpg   BVI Itinerary?-img_0498.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
malyea - Who are you chartering with? Moorings now requires someone stay on board at NPT moorings (like at the Baths) due to poor maintenance. You might consider heading straight to Spanishtown or (better IMHO) Leverick Bay and taking a cab to the Baths. Very disappointing that the BVI Gov has let the maintenance slip on the NPT moorings.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

Thanks - guess they'll cover that in the chart brief - appreciate being forewarned. 48 hours from now we'll be in St Thomas on th eve of our grand adventure - THANKS again to all for the tips, insights and advice!!!!
Old 02-16-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

She Said Yes!!!!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread - it was the trip of a lifetime!

I proposed first morning out of Roadtown under full sail, 2 nm NE of Cooper Island on a close starboard reach to the Baths with blue skies and 10-12 kts breeze - how could she not say "YES".

Leverick Bay, Gorda Sound first night - Anegada sunset and lobster next night - then Diamond Cay and Sandy Spit after a glorious offshore reach north of Tortola - short next day and into Great Harbour and Foxy's overnight - then around the point to White Bay and THE BEST Painkillers at Soggy Dollar Bar followed by a heroic sail offshore again north of Tortola on a close reach with quartering 8 to 12' swells and 15 kts breeze to Marina Cay dining on fresh caught grilled Kingfish - last full day gave us a beam reach down SFD Channel to snorkel the Indians and back to Manchoniel Bay, Cooper Island for our last night - up at dawn with one last broad reach into Road Town!

I'M STILL HIGH AS A KITE - AND SHE SAID YES - AND SHE LOVES TO SAIL!

May all of you have a wonderfull sail through this amazing adventure of life - thanks again!

Oh by the way, Cindy and I were high school sweethearts and the last time she sailed was summer 1974 with me in my cartop dinghy - big break of 30+ years and now this.......dreams do come true.

Best to all,
Mike & Cindy, S/V Serenity

Tried to upload some photos but it failed every time even after getting the size right - any ideas?
Old 02-16-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! I hope you will be as happy as I thought I would be...

With a wonderful start to your engagement, it's all downhill from here.

J/K....after 32 years, us long time married folk have to get our licks in.

Our countdown has begun and it's only 102 days away until our charter.
Old 02-16-2010

sandcruiser is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!
I'm including a shot or two from our BVI vacation 2 years ago... just in case someone else comes reading for more info.

We almost didn't go to Anegada. I'm so glad that we did- getting there and back was the best *sailing* that we did on the trip. Most other days- by the time we got the sails up and trimmed, and finished a rum drink, it was time to haul everything down and anchor/grab a mooring. The distances are very short. But Anegada was a hoot.

Entering Anegada harbor

here's a sloppy gps track of our route (6 nights)

here are many more photos:
May 2008 British Virgin Islands
Old 02-16-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

I still can't get my photos to load - what could I be doing wrong - I've resized to small , click attach icon, they just won't upload - says upload failed??????