SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   BVI Itinerary? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/59496-bvi-itinerary.html)

malyea 11-03-2009 08:01 AM

BVI Itinerary?

Currently planning my first BVI charter for 6 days/7 nights second week in February. I've reserved a B393 with Moorings and plan to self provision with Bobby's Market. The ENE trades should be steady at 15 kts plus providing great sailing and the anchorages should be packed.......oh well.....

My goals are 1) sail a lot, 2) hit some highlights including Anegada and 3) avoid crowds when possible.

Seems like most suggested float plans leave Road Town to Norman Island, island hop ENE to Virgin Gorda (jumpoff to Anegada) then WSW counterclock wise around north side of Tortolla towards Jost Van Dyke.

Is there any benefit to going against the flow and circumnavigate Tortolla by turning west out of Road Town to sail a clockwise route, like maybe Jost Van Dyke first then ENE along north side of Tortolla to Anegada then back down to Virgin Gorda?

Next.... Crowd control - any suggested anchorages to add to the mix when we want to be away from the crowded mooring fields. Don't feel the need to have a ball, happy to be on the hook overnight.

Thanks

imagine2frolic 11-03-2009 08:06 AM

Their suggested route is more of a downwind sail. You can sail in any direction you want. There will be no secluded anchorages this time of year. That won't stop you from having fun though. I would do my own provisioning. Take a look at what's on the boat, and then provision it yourself. You will be much happier. Most likely they will provide things you may not care for? BEST WISHES in having a great time. The BVI is a great place for chartering......i2f

Vasco 11-03-2009 08:37 AM

If you want to avoid crowds go to anchorages where there are no moorings. Unfortunately these moorings seem to multiply on their own. :) I haven't been there for quite a few years but try:

White bay on Guana
my favourite - Little Harbour on Peter- go right up to the old dock and anchor
Drakes Anchorage at Gorda Sound
Lee bay on Great Camanoe
The SE Corner of Normans - think it's called Carrot Point.

These should keep you busy.
Sailing's great but you should not have too ambitious an itinerary.
Anegada is over-rated. Spend more time in Gorda Sound your first trip, go past Saba rock and anchor in Eustatia Sound.

By the way, the 393 is an excellent boat. :) see avatar.

malyea 11-03-2009 08:59 AM

Great input, thanks - we can't wait!

dongreerps 11-03-2009 06:50 PM

I heartily second Vascos comments about Anagoda.
The ancorages will be crowded at that time of year. I strongly suggest you revise your vacation mindset. Each night anchor on the outer edges of the mooring or anchoring field. At first light. VERY FIRST light, slip the mooring, or pull the anchor, and get under way. End your sailing by noon, and find yur mooring/anchoring spot for the night. Spend the afternoon snorling, exploring ashore, or whatever, but get into your selected harbor very very early.
Just northeast of Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda is a prominent point. (I don't have my charts with me). Sneak in to shore on the NOrth east side of that point, and follow the shore along. Will be shallow going, but you will be able to work your way in a very long way. There is good anchoring there, and a restaurant ashore in that shallow bay. Good snorkling on the reef outside where you will anchor.
Enjoy

imagine2frolic 11-04-2009 08:48 AM

I believe Anageda is off limits to charter boats. At least it was some 15 years ago........i2f

Vasco 11-04-2009 09:01 AM

i2f,

Not anymore. Everybody goes there. Some charter companies let you go on your own and others now have flotillas that go there!!

imagine2frolic 11-04-2009 10:29 AM

GEEZE,

Am I behind in the times, or what?.:laugher :rolleyes: :D .......i2f

Vasco 11-04-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine2frolic (Post 538387)
GEEZE,

Am I behind in the times, or what?.:laugher :rolleyes: :D .......i2f

I guess so. :) I haven't been there since 03 or 04 and all the charter boats were going to Anegada then. I think Moorings used to lead them. They'd all stage at Bitter End and take off in the morning.

Yamsailor 11-04-2009 10:50 AM

I loved Anegada--I stayed two nights there; Spent the day snorkeling and scuba diving. You can now Kite surf there.

I had a 473.

This was my last itinerary:

Night #1: Norman Island--the Bight
Next Day--stop at the Indians for Snorkeling
Night #2 Cooper Island
Next Day: Stop at the Baths (early), then on to the Bitter End Yacht CLub
Night #3 Bitter End Yacht Club
Next Day: Sail to Anegada--Do not get there before 10:30am because the Sun is too low in the sky to properly see the coral heads.
Night #4 Anegada
Next Day: Rented a Car at the Anegada Reef Hotel, explored the island and went to Cow Wreck and Loblolly Beach
Night #5 Anegada
Next Day: Sailed to Jost Van Dyke
Night #6 Little Harbor on Jost Van Dyke (Great Harbor was too busy for my tastes)
Next Day: Stop and Sandy Cay for swimming and beaching
Night #7 Moorings Base

Most relaxing vacation I have ever experienced.