Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009

ScituateMan is on a distinguished road
Trolling in the BVI

Hello,

I will be chartering in the BVI in May 2010. This will be my second time chartering there. While there, I want to do some fishing. Most, if not all, of my fishing will be just trolling a line behind the boat. I'd like to hear from someone that has done this in the past and can suggest the kind of lores and line I would need. I don't have a particular fish in mind (though a Tuna would be nice).

Also, I will be chartering a Salina 48 Cat. If anyone reading this has experience with that boat I'd like the hear what they think about it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Make sure you obtain a license in the BVI before you fish! In general few people I know fish from sailboats in this area due to several reasons. Where most sailboats go the fishing is poor, the cost of license and bait is high and they make a heck of a mess in the cockpit. A potential problem with reef fish related illness appears to be increasing.

I know I can buy all the fish I want/ need for much less than the price of a license and bait. If you are only going to be in the islands a week or so it may be reasonable just for the fun of it but definitely not a cost effective activity unless you just want to wet a hook and fall into that fishing trance some people seem to enjoy.

For many boats it is far too much trouble for the limited enjoyment and hassle of storing the equipment. In many boat you will have to sleep or bath with your fishing pole!!!!! It is your choice which.
Old 11-09-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Read this before you start fishing in BVI.
American jailed for fishing in the BVI - Rebreather World

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Also, for anyone fishing along any of the tropical reefs, beware of Ciguatera. Don't eat grouper or snapper caught there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-01-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Or barracuda!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2010

troutmancid is on a distinguished road
BVI fishing

While i agree it may be cheaper to buy the fish than rent the equipment and purchase a license it still is fun to run a lure behind the boat not knowing what you might hook into. I have been chartering the BVI since 1991 and every year I find out more information on fishing and by no way from anyone that seems to give up their secrets. What I do know is the fishing is like fishing anywhere you go better at certain times and places. I am going down in June 2010 and plan to fish the South Drop in the chance to catch Kingfish, Wahoo or Tuna. But if I do not catch any of those who cares is it not about being there? Don't let anyone tell you its not worth it to fish from sailboat because it is not set up for fishing (makes me think they are the charter guys) because the reality of it is the fish don't know. Drop a line learn from your experience and enjoy the moment. I have caught many fish from the back of just about any sailboat down there and funny thing never had a problem with the boat maybe the fish but not the boat. Anyway good luck with the fishing and if you want any "good" information contact Elizabeth at Richardsons in Tortolla. Tight lines...Paul
Old 05-29-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Boy ..Vasco....Thats a pretty testosterone laden site you linked...sort of the SA of the diving world ..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2010

ScituateMan is on a distinguished road
troutmancid,

Thanks for the info. You think just like me! We just got back from the trip May 21st. Yes, we did rent trolling gear. We caught barricuda and a couple of other fish returning from Anegada. Some of my crew believed them to be wahoo, but I wasn't sure. They weren't very big so we through them back. We also did some trolling from the dinghy off the islands next to Cooper Island. We caught a pretty big fish that fought hard near shore. Again, we didn't recognize it. Couldn't find it on the fish charts.

I would do it again if I returned. The trip was fantastic.
Old 05-30-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I guy from the USVI was arrested and put in jail a year or so ago for not having a valid BVI license. So, get a license! Avoid eating reef fish.